The Influence of short/long-term starvation on hepatitis b?

Hello

I want do starvation. Anyone had knownledge about impact starvation on hepatis b?
I want start starvation since september and thinking about peroid like 21-28 to 40 days.

I also vegan, several times I made starvation
like 2-5 days with normal daily activity and sports, and feel good.

I thinking about starvation, beacouse medicine hasn’t curve for hepatisB.
I reading lot of stuff books about diet, health etc, also many materials about Yoshinori Ohsumi. If long starvation don’t help me with hepatis B, probably nothin.

HepCommunity what you thiking about it?

1 Like

Dear @leonk,

Long term starvation over weeks is very stressful on the body and can lead to bad health outcomes.

Fasting has been mentioned in other threads:

And there are resources on other site about this: Is Fasting Safe for People Living with Hepatitis B? - Hepatitis B Foundation

Scientific studies haven’t shown any effect of fasting on HBV (at least in mice): Limited Effects of Fasting on Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Biosynthesis in HBV Transgenic Mice - PMC

So I think you need to be careful about this and talk it through with your doctor.

Thomas

2 Likes

Hi @leonk, I completely agree with what Thomas wrote. Starvation is not the key to getting rid of hep b, which is caused by a VIRUS. Being seen by a knowledgeable health care provider and considering an antiviral medication (if it makes sense based on your lab tests and family history) are your best options. And yes, diet and lifestyle can help keep your liver healthier! So stop or avoid drinking alcohol, stop smoking, keep your stress level down, eat a healthy diet, exercise if possible and get enough sleep. All of us understand your frustration and desire to get rid of the hep b virus!!! But avoid extreme diets and herbal remedies that promise more than they deliver (and can sometimes do harm). Thanks for sharing your feelings and concerns with us. Always, Joan

3 Likes

I truly appreciate the calm and thoughtful responses and information on this site. Well done everyone.

2 Likes

Hi

@ThomasTu @Joan_Block @Darlene

Thanks for replies!
OK, starvation is not key to curve hepatisB, but have many benefits, yes?
I can use starvation? Is not negative consequence for my livering and hepatisB?

Second question is antiviral medication, it is helpful for me? I have low virus:
HBsAg - positive (+)
hbv dna - 305 IU/ml
alt - 14 U/l
afp - 4.48 ng/ml
ast - 25 U/l
ultrasound - is good, without changed

how will the drug help me? what will be the benefits? I reade that antyviral is helpful for person which high virus load, do you agree with me?

Hi @leonk, glad to know that you understand that a “starvation” diet will not cure you of hep b. Also, I think you’re referring to the “intermittent diet” where you don’t eat for long periods of a day, right? For example, here in the US a popular intermittent diet is to stop eating after dinner and then resume eating 16 hours later (in other words, skipping breakfast and eating around noon). The idea is that waiting 16 hours gives the body time to burn off fat. But let me ask, why do you want to to “starve” your body? Are you concerned about your weight? Generally these extreme diets are not great for folks like us living with chronic liver disease. It’s better to eat as healthfully as possible - more fruits, vegetables and less animal protein and simple carbs - and on a regular basis. With that said, I’m not a doctor or even a dietician, so I don’t want to presume to give anyone nutritional advice. But common sense eating is better than extremes.

As far as antiviral therapy, you’re right that a high viral load is generally the key marker for starting treatment. But if there’s a family history of serious liver disease or liver cancer, then treatment would probably be recommended earlier than sooner. If there’s no family history, then your age, overall physical health and any co-morbidities (diabetes, fatty liver disease, etc.) would be factors in making any treatment decision. There are others on this forum who can give you more expert opinions on your question. Thanks again for posting! Always, Joan

Dear @leonk

I agree with Joan, there should be no need for starvation. There is no evidence that it will benefit you and there are several ways that it can hurt you.

The current guidelines would not indicate that you should be treated with those results (low HBV DNA and normal ALTs) unless you had a family history of liver cancer or have indications of liver damage.

Thomas

@Joan_Block @ThomasTu thanks for helps!

@ThomasTu you told that starvation is not will not be of benefit, but in 2016 year, Y.Ohsumi won Nobel Prize for starvation and autophagy, it is fake? (sources)

Additionaly, at the moment I only prevent and control maximum my health - it is only weapon with fight with HPB at the moment, yes?

My second question is how long I will be living? I readead that people with HBV living average 70-72 years, and people without HBV 75-76, it is real numbers?

1 Like

Dear @leonk,

The Nobel prize data is very much real, but this describes a process going on at a cellular level. It gets a lot more complicated when you take into an entire organism taken together, so the website you’re linking to is taking the research out of context. For example, the prize wasn’t for stimulating antivirus response by starvation, and some viruses (like HepB) can actually use autophagy to stimulate their replication.

Regarding ways to help your health, the best way is keeping a healthy lifestyle, keeping your status monitored with regular lab tests, and taking antiviral medication when it is recommended.

Regarding life expectancy, I think you may be referring to this study: Model of Life Expectancy of Chronic Hepatitis B Carriers in an Endemic Region - PMC.

These are results from modelling based on some assumptions from clinical results data, so it calculated from real studies (and not just made up). It’s important to note that antiviral treatment was not part of the assumptions in this model; if you are appropriately monitored and treated, I would expect the life expectancy to be more equal, but this has not been calculated.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

@ThomasTu

Thank you! OK, I have last question:

• since I know that I have hepatitis B (7 years ago)
    – I moved on vegan diet without alcohol, smoke, sugar, and animal food/hal-food like egg, cheese etc.
    – I exercise minimum 1 hours per day (cardio exercise)
    – I eating in model intermittent fasting 8/16 or 4/20 (eating/salvation)
    – In my country (Poland) is very popular low calories diet based only on vegetables (500-600 calories per day / per 10-12 days) I sometimes using this diet 2-3 per year.

is any of the above a threat to me?

Dear @leonk

This is certainly an intense lifestyle. I cannot make any judgement as to how healthy this is for you, and would recommend you get medical advice from your doctor as to whether this is appropriate.

Yours sincerely,
Thomas