He kept his HepB status a secret

It’s a pretty safe bet in my husbands case that he contracted it in mid August of this year. Anything before that and I would have gotten it? I still say communication is key. Unanswered questions just lead to more and more and that just makes it harder for couples dealing with this?

1 Like

Hi @SamanthaMech

Thank you again for sharing your story here on the other side of the good news with the blood results. Just to provide some facts here, the incubation period of Hepatitis B (i.e. time between exposure and obvious symptoms) can be up to 9 months.

Also, just because your husband has detectable virus, doesn’t mean he is going to definitely expose you to it. There are many instances described on this forum where a person finds out they are HBV-positive (possibly since birth) but their partner remains negative.

Thomas

1 Like

How I wish even men will be so understanding as women are. So far have read of three ladies who still accepted their partners nonetheless.

People like us with HBV and not married, I’m still pondering on whether to even get into a relationship or not? Will I meet someone who will accept me regardless? Considering how women are viewed in Africa :thinking:? Honestly no one can call for such illness on them.

Thanks @ThomasTu , this platform is so vital to us. My prayer is one day, a permanent solution for this is found really.

4 Likes

@Vera , live is a beautiful thing and when you truly find one, nothing will matter. I understand how difficult it can be for another person to accept one’s medical condition. You are not far from the truth if you say women have a better proclivity to accept their partners than men do, especially in Africa I should say. In my practice as a community Pharmacist, I’ve had to counsel several guys who were preparing to marry their love but found out they were Hep B positive. Tgankfully, they met me and what would have been a breakup ended in glorious marriages.
I think people living with hepB need to seek for more knowledge, be confident and speak up more to educate others. The hepbcommunity.org is bridging this gab.
As for your concern on whether to get into a relationship, i’d say, it’s better than not givinh it a trial. You’ll never know who will stick through thick and thin. I’m sure you will find one and you will be surely happy.

2 Likes

@Prince_Okinedo, Thank God you are a medic. Can I have a fulfilling relationship without infecting my partner? How about the kids I’m hoping to have someday?

1 Like

Hi @Vera ,

These have been discussed in previous threads, including:

Hope this helps,
Thomas

2 Likes

@Vera, being hepatitis B doesn’t mean your offsprings must be positive too. There are a few steps to take to prevent mother-to-child transmission.
Just ensure you monitor your viral load while pregnant and ensure your child is given the birth dose hepatitis B vaccine within 24hrs of birth. Then follow-up with the other 3doses at 6,10 and 14weeks, depending on your countries schedule.
But very importantly, your child child must receive the birth dose not later than 24hrs. If immunoglobulin is available, the child can also have that plus the birth dose vaccine.

Prince O Okinedo
Team Lead
Hepatitis B Advocacy Initiative

Thanks so much @Prince_Okinedo

1 Like

@Vera, on the concern of whether you can pass on the virus to your partner. You can protect your partner to by having him screen and if negative, get the complete doses of the vaccine. With this, the chances of passing the virus is very very slim. I’ve been married for three years now and my wife has remained negative. She knew of my status before our marriage and I ensured she got the complete doses of the hep B vaccine.
All Persons living with viral hepatitis B have a responsibility to protect our partners. It’s a way of showing love.

3 Likes

Indeed it is away of showing love and building trust which is key to a successful marriage. Those who truly love you will stay with you regardless. When I meet 1, I’ll ensure to tell him so he can decide.

Thanks so much for your time prince.

2 Likes

My pleasure @Vera.

Prince O Okinedo
Team Lead
Hepatitis B Advocacy Initiative

1 Like

This is very important.same case. I shared my results with my wife and she was tested there after and found to be negative. So she got vaccinated as a way of protection

5 Likes

It’s the right thing to do. We as people living with hep.B owe it a duty to let our prospective spouse/partner in on our status sot they don’t feel deceived.

1 Like

You certainly can. Lots of us have partners and children. Read up about it in the forum. I personally have three children. All vaccinated against HepB.

2 Likes

Well, if you do it the christian way of not having sex before marriage, not even kissing, what is there to be hurt about ? Having sex with someone or kissing someone and not telling your status is a no go for me, that is how I would handle this personally.

I get disturbed of questions like: why produce children when I obviously know I will not be available to take care of them throughout thier feature.
Why invest in long-term investment and savings yet I know I wont befit from them plus many other disturbing questions.
Trying to counsel myself but hmmmmm reality heats on. Lord previl and get us a cure to this monster

This is one interpretation of a christian way, but there are also other cultural and belief systems where kissing and sex outside of marriage are important aspects of living one’s life. It is upon all of us to make it as safe as possible without depriving people from living their lives, being able to participate in their communities, and sharing love with their close ones.

Hi @opa,

Hepatitis B is not a death sentence. There are many of people on this forum with hep B living close to normal lives and growing old playing with their grandchildren. Hepatitis B can be properly managed and should not prevent you from pursing having a family.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Hello @Opa
You are not dying. You have a manageable disease. I am 63. Have been HBV since my early 20’s. I’ve been married and had 3 healthy children. My husband and children do not have HBV.
You can live a happy normal long life.

5 Likes

Hello prince, hope you are doing great?? Kindly assist. Can I live with a partner who is hbv negative without affecting him?

@vera, Sure! He just needs to get the complete vaccine series and you two will be good.

PRINCE O OKINEDO

Founder/Team Lead,
Hepatitis Advocacy Foundation
www.facebook.com/hepatitisadvocacyinitiative
+2347066233745
Member,
Community Advisory Board (CAB),
Hepatitis B Foundation.
www.hepb.org

1 Like