Transmitting HBV through sweat?

Can hepatitis b be spread through sweat? While working out in the gym? @ThomasTu

can hepatitis b be spread through sweat? while working out in the gym? @ThomasTu

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: INTRODUCTION THREAD: People affected by Hep B

Hello @sam12

Just to be clear- I’m not a medical expert .
That’s a good question. One I know I worried about too.
I even felt like my clothing was contagious and wouldn’t hug anyone . Thankfully, I not like that anymore.
I do know it’s through blood. So if your blood came in contact with another persons open wound. That person would need to be tested.

Other experts will answer your question soon.
@ThomasTu @Bansah1 @john.tavis @availlant

Hi @sam12,
Transmission of HBV through sweat is not known as a way for someone to get the virus. As @Caraline mentioned, HBV is a blood borne disease transmitted when someone comes into contact with an infected blood and bodily fluids such as semen. I doubt it is normal for any one to have blood in their sweat. But if you have a wound, try wrapping it up using bandage to protect any bleeding or leaving blood stains that others might come into contact with. I hope this helps. Bansah1

Hi @sam12 ,

It is normal to be concerned about ttansmitting HBV infection to others.

Casual contact such as shaking hands and hugging, even when sweaty, has effectively no chance of transmitting infection. As your fellow community members has correctly stated, the HBV virus must gain direct access to the blood via an open would or during unprotected sex for infection to occurr.

@availlant

2 Likes

Thank you for your response @Caraline
It was helpful, my worries vanished instantly…

Thank you for your response @Bansah1

1 Like

Thank you for your response @availlant

1 Like