Lifestyle changes, nutrition, and supplements for hep b

Hi everyone, I’m curious what people believe about some powerful anti oxidants like PQQ and Urolithin A, as a potential benefit for fibrosis regression and mitochondria function suport? I have tried so far PQQ and I have seen good results in terms of liver health.

Hello @learnandshare

I’ve done a bit of searching about PQQ. Can’t find anything about it helping our liver.
Can you tell me how you have seen good results in liver health?

Thanks

Dear @Caraline it saddens me to see you feeling this way, and I completely understand.
it also scares me, but I feel compelled, since you have been the first one to give me strength ( very grateful for your words) and hope and welcome me , when I first joined this forum. I will not forget.
Im quite new with this disease, but I understand the repercussions now physically and mentally,.
I know exactly how you feel about test results with the anxiety and expectations, since the diagnosis, the past 8 months I have been to doctors, hospitals and monthly blood work have exhausted me both phisically and emotionally,
it’s not easy we know that !
Like @Bansah1 says please don’t give up now on your hope for a better future, it seems to me that you have done and still doing your part in controlling what you humanly possibly can . after all… you are in god’s hands, and in my prayers.
best Gregory

2 Likes

Please check some studies for PQQ Pyrroloquinoline-Quinone Suppresses Liver Fibrogenesis in Mice - PMC

Urolithin A

All powerful antioxidants need to be taken carefully. As you do not want to go to the route of overdoing it and going from antioxidant effect to pro oxidative effect.

Also take in consideration that oxidative stress has also a good role, as it kills the cells that are singled by the body to get rid of them.

Therefore a good doctor that is knowledgeable also on the direction of what powerful antioxidants can do in terms of mitochondria and liver health, which that are hand in hand, is mandatory.

Again I need to highlight that you need a doctor to understand and give you a good recommendation. Because as we all know even food can interfere with our health and the medicines that we consume. Same goes for antioxidants where you need a lot more extra care if or not to introduce them. Is a hard assessment and requires again a skilled doctor.

All the best.

As mentioned above, the problem with a lot of these supplements is that they are not regulated, so you never know what is actually in them and if it’s at the dosage that the label says.

Regarding the papers cited, these seem to mostly be done in mouse models, which do not necessarily follow the same disease progression as people. Chronic liver disease occurs over decades, whereas these models generally happen over a few weeks. There is also the problem that mice don’t seem to get cirrhosis, which makes it difficult to transfer over to the human model.

Thomas

2 Likes

Am worried that I have been eating meat consecutively for one week now.
Much worried

Dear @Opa,

I’m not sure that there is good evidence that eating meat in moderation has a strong effect liver health. Is there something in particular that you are worried about?

Cheers,
Thomas

Hello my first time asking question here please I need some help.

1. I have red eyes due to hpv sometimes less red than other times but the days my eyes are itching a lot and idea?

Hi @Saudy,
We appreciate you posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue. We discuss more things regarding hepatitis B in the community and hpv seem far from it. I will advice that maybe you find a provider who specializes or treats people with hpv to look into your problem and hopefully find a solution to help with your condition if that is possible. I hope this is helpful. Bansah1

1 Like

So i have hap B now, recently found out. I havent exercised in maybe 5 or 6 years. Is it safe to do exercises? At the moment very thing is fine, including my liver.(no scars or anything). Is it safe to start doing excercise(running and little weights notthing too extreme). Would it have any negative effect in terms of my viral loads or speed to viral load increases?

Hi @Kg7656,
As long as you can tolerate it nothing should stop you from exercising. Just start slow and build up. Your ALT/AST might go up initially, but that won’t be a problem. This is normal due to muscle damage from demanding exercise routines. You should be fine. Thanks, Bansah1

1 Like

Hi @Kg7656,

Welcome to the community and hope you find the support you need here.

Exercise doesn’t appear to have any major effects on viral load. There are no restrictions on exercises due to Hepatitis B, and it is indeed recommended to stay active to give your liver the best chance at staying healthy.

I myself do 4 gym days a week: boxing padwork, weights, cardio, and yoga.

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

@Caraline how high was the cholesterol to warrant statins? I guess stations are taken for life too? Anyone elasewith lived experiences using statins?

@ yes, for life. Unless you can get your cholesterol down through diet and exercise.
Taking a pill a day is better than having your arteries clogged with cholesterol. :man_shrugging:

Is L-Carnitine good or safe for people with HBV?
Is creatine safe for people with HBV?

Hi @BaRt,

My quick review of the literature seems to link LOWER L-carnitine levels with better outcomes in terms of Hepatitis B:

That may not mean that L-Carnitine taken as a supplement will make things worse, but there does not appear to be any evidence that it would make things better.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Is it okay to drink cloves tea since according to Google it enhances liver health…

I’m sure one of the health experts will weigh in.
Important thing is to watch what you CAN’T eat and in what moderation you can eat certain things.
I was finally told to stay away from sodium, sugar, trans fats etc…i passed out a couple of times.
We need SOME sugar to maintain energy levels. I was finally told to stay below 2gr of salt/day …which is 2,000mg and if you read ingredient labels on foods you know you have to stay away from frozen foods, processed foods and fast-food joints. Remember to stick to this amount and don’t chest one day and make it up the next…doesn’t work like that.
And air fryers are great to keep trans fats to a minimum if you get lean cuts of meat.
Good luck…I have found diet restrictions aren’t all that bad…healthy way of keeping your body fit.
Intake of proteins are important, too.
Denny

1 Like

Thanks Denny…been struggling especially with the sugar part …am going to atart watching my sugar intake…

Hi @Lilibet94,

Clove oil contains eugenol, which can damage the liver if taken in too high quantities (Essential oil poisoning: N-acetylcysteine for eugenol-induced hepatic failure and analysis of a national database - PubMed and Eugenol (Clove Oil) - LiverTox - NCBI Bookshelf). I am not aware of any data that shows that drinking clove tea will help hep B in any way.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like