Inactivating Hep B

Hello,
I am sorry if this should not go here. I have a silly question about cleaning. I was working in the yard and cut myself. On my way to clean my hand some (I am afraid quite a bit) blood touched a bracelet I was wearing. Since it’s made out of thread I immersed it in undiluted bleach. Is this enough to completely sanitizite it? If no, what should I do? Is boiling water any good? Should I use undiluted or diluted bleach? For how many hours should I leave it inside the bleach to kill the HBV?

Thank you,
Drew

Hi @Drew_rous,

Bleach would definitely inactivate Hep B within a few minutes. But so can regular laundry detergent (see post here: Must I disclose my status to housemates? - #13 by ThomasTu), important to know so you don’t potentially ruin your bracelet/clothes in future.

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Hello Thomas,
Thank you for your response. I have one more similar question. I am wearing a retainer and I was wondering how can i disinifect it after dental procedures that result in bleading. I found an oral solution withn povidone iodine. Is povidone iodine effective against HBV?

Best,
Drew

Not according to this paper (I can only access the abstract, not the actual paper, so take it with a grain of salt): Inactivation of hepatitis B virus in plasma by hospital in-use chemical disinfectants assessed by a modified HepG2 cell culture - PubMed.

The best option would be warm soapy water and then rinsing with water. I wouldn’t think a retainer is something that you share very often anyway, so I wouldn’t worry too much because you can reinfect yourself.

Thomas

1 Like

Hello again,
Of course I am not planing on sharing my retainer with anyone.After a dental procedure my gums bleed and the retainer is full of blood. After a few days gums return to normal and I was thinking that retainer “preserves” the virus in my mouth and got me worried for things like glasses utenslis etc… Anyway, I know it’s silly thought but I a get worried for silly things sometimes.

Talking about inactivating Hep B, is alcohol rubber any good?

Best,
Drew

Bleach and water mix and soak it for about 2-3 minutes. Wash with soap and you should be good

1 Like

Yes, rubbing alcohol solutions will work (as long as they are over 40%) - https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiy620

1 Like

Thank you both very much!
Best,
Drew

1 Like