I now have enlarged liver and spleen with protruding stomach

I have been away from the platform for a while because I have been at different hospitals for treatment.
I have been spending a lot and have gotten tired. I didn’t think it necessary to always talk about my health to people, much more, on the platform because I have been used to an independent life, not bothering others.
I had noticed that my feet was enlarging and my stomach. As if I’m a pregnant man. Very full if I eat a little, stretching very thin to the walls of my abdomen.
I went for check up and did scan. The report came out. Enlarged liver and enlarged spleen with fluid in the belly.
I’m really tired. I have loathed life before now but I know God is by my side. People have started asking me if I am a sickler.
My hope is in God now. I just became 31 but have suffered a lot from this. Only God is keeping me now.

Is there any organization that can sponsor a person for medical tourism abroad. I would like to try that too.
Or is there any crowdfunding platform for such treatment or medical tourism

3 Likes

Dear @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

Do you not have access to NUC therapy where you are?

3 Likes

I have been given tenofovir at the hospital. I don’t have access to nuc therapy. They should be very expensive here just like pegylated interferon alpha.

2 Likes

Dear @Johnpaul_Ezeike

Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (tenofovir aka TDF) is a form of NUC therapy.

NUC = nucleos(t)ide analog like tenofovir and entecavir.

If they gave this to you as the hospital, did they not give you enough to continue therapy for a while?

Best regards,

2 Likes

Yes. I was taking it but had to stop because I couldn’t afford it. I have stopped it like twice. I don’t know if that is what exacerbated the condition. I have spent more a million on my health in my local currency.
I really don’t want to fall back to taking tenofovir because of the cost to avoid stopping it again.
I have been told of pegylated interferon or stem cell supplements or therapy or whatever.
I have been taking herbs like milk thistle, dandelion for some time now. Though it just finished too.
If you are really healthy, be grateful for what you have.
So sorry, I’m on an emotional roller coaster right now

3 Likes

Dear @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

I am very sorry for your difficulties. Please never apologize, this forum was created for people with you facing difficulties from chronic HBV infection.

Yes unfortunately, stopping and starting NUC therapy several times can accelerate liver disease.There are older (but still effective) NUC medicines like entecavir which have been generic for longer and are likely to be cheaper.

It sounds like you have significant ascites (fluid accumulation in the abdomen) which should not go untreated. You should try to avoid salt in your diet as much as possible. Are you taking diuretics (this will help reduce the ascites).

Best regards,

1 Like

Yes. I’m on diet therapy, low salt, low protein. I still have a card of water pill, spironolactone to be precise.
I’m just so tired.

1 Like

Hello @Johnpaul_Ezeike. I truly do understand how you are feeling right now. It’s difficult enough to go through this journey of hepatitis B. And ven more challenging where there are no healy insurance coverage in Nigeria. This is one of the areas my organizarion is trying lobby friends in Government to look in this direction No one living with viral hepatitis B should pay out-of-pockect to get the right care.
With our continued advocacy, we will achieve it. At the moment, we have been able to negotiate with colleague pharmacists running community pharmacies a 10% discount on TDF for members our members.
You can reach me on +2347066233745 so we can connect for such support.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot Prince. God bless you

3 Likes

John Paul Ezekiel
You have carried me emotionally and honestly, I don’t know what to tell you remembering that I have tried to work alot with you.
Take heart my brother all shall well.
Kinoti

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. Feeling refreshed hearing from you all. It pays to communicate

5 Likes

You are a hero providing such wonderful guidance. So heart warming.

2 Likes

Hi Johnpaul,

Never give up. I have treated many patients who were in a more severe condition than you, and after treatment, they have a much better quality of life. However, it’s important to determine the degree of your disease. Can you please share your liver function results, complete blood count (CBC), coagulation profile, alpha-fetoprotein, and HBV-DNA if possible? NAs are also very important for you, and fortunately, the price of NAs in China is quite affordable. I’m not sure about the price in Australia, but we can explore options to find cheaper NAs.

Best regards
Yuanyuan

3 Likes

Thanks a million. I don’t know how to upload the medical but I will just write them here.

I will be delighted if you could help me. I’m really fed up. Lately I can’t even cough without pain from my liver side. I would have to hold that area in order to avoid such pains. People always ask me questions because they knew how I was few months ago. Today, a stranger just noticed my protruded stomach and started asking me questions.i don’t like being pitiable. Why is it so hard for me. Seems I’m I complain a lot. I don’t know. I don’t like being this vulnerable…

Dear @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

So these results indicate very low level viral replication and almost normal liver function.

I am not sure your abdominal distention is from your HBV infection.

When was your last liver ultrasound? Have you recently had a abdominal CT?

If you check properly this was done last year August before it became this worse. It few weeks after I stopped taking my treatments because I couldn’t afford it again having spent a lot over time and was not working again as a nurse. It started getting worse after then to the point that I couldn’t stand or eat or do anything again. I could not breathe properly because of the pains at the liver side. I borrowed some money to continue treatment, scan and what have you. I was moved from one hospital to another. I didn’t feel any better. I had to stop the treatment again because of the cost. It escalated to this. I started taking herbs from a friend, milk thistle and dandelion. The difference is that I can walk about a little now but with fatigue. I have not been able to go for another test because of the cost. Viral load alone is expensive here.

But recently this month, I went for an ultrasound scan.

From the scan, the liver is enlarged with the spleen with the presence of ascites. The abdominal distention is from the liver disease. Apart from the scan, I feel the enlargement and pain when I palpate the liver. The Doctor did too

@Johnpaul_Ezeike

Have you been tested for HCV and HDV?

Based on the results, the elevated AST indicates chronic liver damage, but there is no indication of albumin, bilirubin, or cholinesterase levels in the liver function test. If albumin levels are below 30g/L, ascites may occur. In addition, the prothrombin activity needs to be determined; if it is very low, it indicates poor liver function. Overall, this helps determine the current state of the liver. Furthermore, an abdominal ultrasound is required to determine the condition of the liver, whether there is portal hypertension, splenomegaly, and if it has progressed to cirrhosis.
Therefore, I think the treatment plan is as follows: 1. Since there is elevated AST and HBV-DNA, NAs antiviral treatment is necessary; 2. An abdominal ultrasound should be performed to check the liver function test, including albumin, bilirubin, and cholinesterase levels, as well as prothrombin activity to determine the extent of liver damage and ascites status. If necessary, diuretic treatment can be given, along with hepatoprotective drugs.

The use of diuretics should be completed under the guidance of a doctor. My father recently had severe heart failure and had to take three different diuretics daily while maintaining stable electrolyte levels. Although I am a liver disease doctor and not a cardiologist, I have learned about heart failure management and was able to help my father recover well. If you need my assistance after completing your examination, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Best regards
Yuanyuan

1 Like

I have tested for HCV, but not HDV.
This is one of my results for HCV

I have done my abdominal scan which I posted on this thread. It shows enlarged liver, enlarged spleen and ascites. I still have my spironolactone available.
Can the enlarged liver and spleen be normal again?
Which hepatoprotective drugs should I get