I now have enlarged liver and spleen with protruding stomach

hola jonhpaul,

I’m not a doctor but have they looked at your stomach?
I say this because you have positive Helicobacter pylori and it can cause stomach problems.
Saludos.

1 Like

Yes they have. My H. Pylori is not serious

Hi @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

When I was first diagnosed with cirrhosis, I had pretty severe ascites. I actually had all 3 issues that you just mentioned. I was put on diuretics (or water pills) such as Spironolactone and Furosemide. I initially was put on Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) but I had some really bad side-effect from it, I can’t remember exactly what now. Regardless, the diuretics worked and I think it was within 6 months. I am pretty sure that diuretics would help with your ascites which in hand would help some of your abdominal pain and discomfort caused by the bloating.

When they do my ultrasounds, they check the amount fluid in my abdomen. I don’t know if this is standard fare with ultrasounds or if they specifically add that to what they look for.

My only warning about diuretics other than the possible side-effects listed for each drug, is that personally, it caused some real bad muscle cramping, especially in my hamstrings, feet and calves. The cramps in the calves were the WORST and when the calf muscle would lock up, it would cause SO much pain that I would almost black out. I say black out instead of pass out because my vision would even turn gray and hazy and start to get darker like as if I was blacking out. So my warning is stay HYRDATED and try to keep your magnesium levels high enough.

As always, I share this information from my own experiential knowledge. In no way am I an expert or professional in the field. So please keep that in mind with all my posts.

I am hoping for the best outcome for you. Hopefully, you can get treated soon. The ascites I think will be the easier thing to solve. The enlarged liver and spleen… well, I still live with those, so that is much more complex than the ascites.

-Paul

1 Like

Thank you, Paul.
I really want the enlarged liver and spleen to go.
I eat, but my body does not reflect that. I look very, very emaciated unlike before.
I’m young, 31, this year. I really want to get back to work again, you know. I can’t really continue to live without money or good health. God help me.
It’s very much pain when you are without money, good health and then got to know that you have HBV because of blood transfusion you received as an infant.
It really affects your psyche.

whether the enlarged liver and spleen be normal again depend on the degree of liver disease and treatment efficient. From abdominal scan, It has not showed cirrhosis. It is good. But you have ascites.
I think the important thing you need to do is to have NAs treatment, which is very very important for you.
2. If you have a moderate to large amount of ascites, you need to take oral diuretics such as spironolactone and furosemide. The specific dosage depends on the amount of ascites you have and your daily intake and output. You need to determine how much diuretics to take, whether to take them alone or in combination. Normally, our intake and output are balanced. If you have a large amount of ascites, you need to have an output that is approximately 500 ml more than your intake. If you take too much diuretics, electrolyte disturbances may occur. If you take too little, it may be difficult to eliminate the ascites in your body.
3. I show you sth about symptom self-assessment and management.

Best regard
Yuanyuan

1 Like

Hi @Johnpaul_Ezeike,

I’m sorry to hear that your troubles keep coming. I hope that you’ve been able to get into contact with some local support (maybe @Prince_Okinedo was able to help?).

Wishing you strength,
Thomas

4 Likes

OK sir. I was depressed this morning because of the pains and dizziness but reading this really helped me. Thanks

Yes. I spoke with him. He connected me to where I could buy TDF at 10% discount. He is really of help to me. I am grateful. I have started taking my TDF again. Thank you everyone

2 Likes

Dear @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

This is great news.

However, if possible, I would really like to see a HDV test result (if this is at all possible). Its quite clear from reading the biopsy report that you have advanced liver disease and we rarely see this in young patients such as yourself with viral loads as low as yours. It is more common in patients 50-60 years of age (see here).

Please let us know how you are doing on TDF!

Best wishes…

I will have to go for the HDV. It’s really not a thing here. The test is rarely done, almost never done

Hi @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

Can you tell us what country you live in?

I’m a nurse living in Nigeria

Hi @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

So HDV co-infection occurs in about 5-6% of HBV infection in Nigeria (see here). Given your severe symptoms and mild HBV viremia, it would be good to exclude HDV infection if you can.

Best regards,

. Please What can I be taking for the liver pain. It’s really excruciating

Hi @Johnpaul_Ezeike ,

With your cirrhotic liver, taking over the counter pain medications can be dangerous.

It sounds like you should present yourself at the nearest hospital as soon as you can. I expect the acute nature of your condition will be obvious and hopefully you can get some help. Please do not suffer at home.

Wishing you best of luck,