How to monitor for liver cancer?

Hi,

How to check the risk of the HCC ? Is it through the Alpha-feto-protein test

Surveillance of HCC is based on liver ultrasound every 6 month with or without AFP (according to different guidelines, but I would suggest with) in patients with cirrhosis of without cirrhosis but at risk of HCC

Prof. Pietro Lampertico, MD, PhD

Full Professor of Gastroenterology

Head of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Division

Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico

University of Milan

Via Francesco Sforza 35

20122- Milan

Italy

Phone +390255035432

Fax +390250320410

Email pietro.lampertico@unimi.it

signature.jpg

~WRD0000.jpg

What they will see in ultrasound like inflammation or tumor or enlarged size? Sorry i am not a medical person

1 Like

Hi Suresh I will say all of that you mentioned, anything unusual going on in the liver. But you need to have blood tests as well for anything irregular .

3 Likes

Yes, ultrasound can detect these things, but for liver cancer risk it is most useful in showing if there are areas of different density. Basically, a lump in your liver would show up as a different coloured spot with ultrasound. A lump could be different things (cyst, benign mass, tumour, pre-cancer, etc.), so more testing would usually be required to see if a lump is a cancer. But, an ultrasound is a quick, easy, and painless way of trying to find out who might be at risk of cancer.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

2 Likes

PLampertico,

As you from the EU, where bulevirtide has been approved, if have you prescribed then please share your experience.