Hepatitis B recovered person resuming sexual activity

Pls read the thread I have mentioned it.

Hello @ThomasTu Hope you doing well.
I have completed 6 and a half months since symptoms appeared (mid July, 2021). Last test was done on 18th December, 2021.

Do I need to take tests one more time as six months completed…? How frequently I need to get tested in future

Thanks,

2 Likes

Hi @AJK,

This is something to talk to your doctor about because it relies on your specific risk factors. But for the majority of people who are under immune suppression, reactivation after they clear HBsAg as you have is incredibly rare.

Thomas

1 Like

Hello @ThomasTu

Results Update:

As I completed six months (since symptoms appeared) this January ( from mid July to mid Jan), I went to get my blood work done yesterday 21-02-22.

Results:
HBsAg: Non reactive
HBVDNA: Not detected
Anti-HBs: 35.39 IU/L

Now I just wish to know if I need to repeat tests after a year or so .?

1 Like

This is more of a question for one of our @HealthExperts and a discussion with your personal physician. However, if you do not have any liver fibrosis, there is negligible risk for liver cancer. With these result, the risk of viral reactivation is also very very low.

Thomas

As a general rule, yes, the risk of HCC in HBV is directly related to the extension of liver fibrosis, i.e. disease severity. However, in some epidemiological settings, Asia and Africa for example , some patients might develop HCC even in the absence of severe liver disease defined by fibrosis or/and inflammatory activity

Prof. Pietro Lampertico, MD, PhD

Full Professor of Gastroenterology

Head of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Division

Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico

University of Milan

Via Francesco Sforza 35

20122- Milan

Italy

Phone +390255035432

Fax +390250320410

Email pietro.lampertico@unimi.it

Hello Thanks for the comments. @ThomasTu @PLampertico

But why are we talking about fibrosis, HCC and liver cancer…did I miss something here?

I had an acute infection and probably recovered as results indicate…do I still have these threats?

Just wanted to know how often I need to get tests done in future or post six months test in enough to rule out any further possibility in normal conditions?

This is the latest blood report

If you recovered after an acute HBV infection, i.e. with full HBsAg seroconversion stable over time, no risk of HCC due to HBV but risk of HBV reactivation if immunosuppressed

Prof. Pietro Lampertico, MD, PhD

Full Professor of Gastroenterology

Head of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Division

Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico

University of Milan

Via Francesco Sforza 35

20122- Milan

Italy

Phone +390255035432

Fax +390250320410

Email pietro.lampertico@unimi.it

Hi @AJK, I may have misunderstood. My interpretation was that you were asking whether you still needed testing.

The only reasons that you might need to get tested are:

1. Finding out if the virus has come back.
  2. Finding out if you have liver cancer.

Both Pietro and I are letting you know that the risks of both of these are extremely low after HBs-seroconversion.

The frequency of testing is for you to decide with your health provider because that is based on your particular situation. This is not something that anyone can answer for anyone else over the internet. But for the vast majority of people with these results, there is no further risk of liver disease or reactivation.

I don’t think the majority of doctors would think it necessary to require ongoing testing unless you’re going through certain kinds of strong immunosuppression.

Thomas

2 Likes

Hello @ThomasTu …do you think virus can remain infectious even after 5 months on common surfaces at home like bed, couches, furniture, electronic gadgets or floor :roll_eyes:

Hi @AJK,

Virus in this state being able to infect anyone else is a very very low risk. I would not worry about it.

Thomas

3 Likes

Thanks for not replying straightway :grinning:… Your answer indicate it may remain viable even after many months.

Anyway, another query…I had tested HepA IgG reactive though I never had hepatitis or jaundice before in my life with best of my knowledge. Does that mean I had asymptomatic infection at some point if my life so far? Though asymptomatic infection is common in childrens ?
I have not taken HepA vaccine therefore. But I freak sometimes what if I get hep A?
Could it activate HepB?

Your lab results would suggest that you have been exposed to hepatitis A, but is an acute infection and is quickly cleared from your body. The good thing is your antibodies give you immunity, so you’re protected against future infections.

Thomas

1 Like

You didn’t say anything about its effect on silent HepB…does it have anything to do with reactivation

Hepatitis A is not known to have any direct affect on HBV, it isn’t linked to reactivation. The reason why people with HBV should be protected against HAV is that co-infection puts additional stress on the liver.

3 Likes

Rightly so. Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Hello @MarkDouglas As you said the Anti Hbs levels have gone upto 44 IU/L. Just wish to know should I opt for a HepB vaccine to further boost the levels? Is this required ( High levels) to prevent any subsequent infection?

Hi AJK

No if you have cleared the infection (as you have from the results you provided) then there is no benefit in vaccination or monitoring your antibody levels. Your immune system will have good “memory” immunity against the virus so will react quickly against it if you are ever exposed again, regardless of current antibody level.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: How to monitor for liver cancer?