He kept his HepB status a secret

You certainly can. Lots of us have partners and children. Read up about it in the forum. I personally have three children. All vaccinated against HepB.

2 Likes

Well, if you do it the christian way of not having sex before marriage, not even kissing, what is there to be hurt about ? Having sex with someone or kissing someone and not telling your status is a no go for me, that is how I would handle this personally.

I get disturbed of questions like: why produce children when I obviously know I will not be available to take care of them throughout thier feature.
Why invest in long-term investment and savings yet I know I wont befit from them plus many other disturbing questions.
Trying to counsel myself but hmmmmm reality heats on. Lord previl and get us a cure to this monster

This is one interpretation of a christian way, but there are also other cultural and belief systems where kissing and sex outside of marriage are important aspects of living one’s life. It is upon all of us to make it as safe as possible without depriving people from living their lives, being able to participate in their communities, and sharing love with their close ones.

Hi @opa,

Hepatitis B is not a death sentence. There are many of people on this forum with hep B living close to normal lives and growing old playing with their grandchildren. Hepatitis B can be properly managed and should not prevent you from pursing having a family.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Hello @Opa
You are not dying. You have a manageable disease. I am 63. Have been HBV since my early 20’s. I’ve been married and had 3 healthy children. My husband and children do not have HBV.
You can live a happy normal long life.

5 Likes

Hello prince, hope you are doing great?? Kindly assist. Can I live with a partner who is hbv negative without affecting him?

@vera, Sure! He just needs to get the complete vaccine series and you two will be good.

PRINCE O OKINEDO

Founder/Team Lead,
Hepatitis Advocacy Foundation
www.facebook.com/hepatitisadvocacyinitiative
+2347066233745
Member,
Community Advisory Board (CAB),
Hepatitis B Foundation.
www.hepb.org

1 Like

Hello, kindly I’m in so much pain!!! What I feared most has befallen me. Ever since I tested positive of HBV, I lost hope in finding a true person to start a family with until early this year. We have been in communication but we haven’t have any sexual intercourse. I wanted to earn his trust before telling him my health status since his interest has been for us to form a family.
About a week now, I gathered courage to share with him my status and this is his decision

Hello love! Hope you are well.I am also good to some extent.I wld lyk to share this wth you:After self soul searching and consultation regarding our impending plan of forming a unit as far as family is concerned,I have decided that we both mutually shelve it off .It’s wth a heavy heart that this is happening after months of being in touch.The variance in positivity and negativity of our respective health statuse has adversely affected the plan.
My heart pains alot considering the amount of affection I have been having for you.It’s really a tougher decision to make but you’ll understand the resaons.I am emotionally tortured by this but nitavumilia tu and I promise to retain you as my No.1 best closest friend n love and that I’ll always check on you share issues as have been our norm.I love you so much osiepa and I miss you big.Trust me with your revelations to me.Lovely life​:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::sob::sob::sob:

Your greatness will alwys live with me.You are truthful,otherwise you wld have chosen to remain silent about your status to infect me.God loves you extremely for this kind gesture.I LOVE YOU,VERA​:heart::cry:

I feel so much emptiness and REJECTED.
IF WHAT IM FEELING right now is depression, then I guess I’m running into depression

Sorry to read that message.
It’s always easier to be truthful with potential lovers early on so that feelings don’t develop to cause heartache later down the line.
Best of luck in this situation. :heart:

@vera, I’m pained by what you are going through now. I think your partner might be responding from a place of insufficient knowledge about to the natural history and spread of HepB. If you may, I’d like to have a conversation with you and him.
You can reach out to me on WhatsApp on +2347066233745
Looking forward to hearing from you. Please, stay safe.

PRINCE O OKINEDO

Founder/Team Lead,
Hepatitis Advocacy Foundation
www.facebook.com/hepatitisadvocacyinitiative
+2347066233745
Member,
Community Advisory Board (CAB),
Hepatitis B Foundation.
www.hepb.org

2 Likes

Hi @Vera,
I am so sorry to read about what has happened to your relationship. It is very unfortunate but I cannot say I am surprised by his reaction. This things do happen sometimes. It clearly shows he does not understand this virus. People react badly when they hear someone has a positive medical condition especially when it comes to viruses. His reaction is likely due to lack/inadequate education and misconceptions about hepatitis B. This is why we need more hepatitis B education in our communities and speaking up against the stigma.

I can’t believe he claims “he loves you so much” but he is also saying that he cannot be with you because you shared your status with him. It is his loss. I understand it is sad and disappointing but please do not lose hope. You will find someone that will love you more and accept you for who you are; and not reject you when it is convenient for them. You did the right thing by telling him but the challenge comes when the response is negative. I empathize with you and try not beat yourself over this because you did nothing wrong. If he is your guy/man, he will come back. I hope @ Prince can speak with him.

I have had friends and know some people who thought they will never find someone to love them or even be in a relationship; but they were wrong. Today most of them are happily married with lovely families. As long as you still have breath and alive, remain hopeful and be open. Never count yourself out no matter what. It might be hard but that should not discourage you to give up. Be strong and remember that you are not alone. We are all solidly behind you. Take it one day at a time. Hang in there. Best, Bansah1.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your encouragement… You have really lifted my spirits

1 Like

Don’t mention Vera. I am glad to hear that my message was able to lift your spirits. We all need this kind of support from time to time. Let’s remain hopeful and keep us updated on how things are going. Thanks, Bansah1

1 Like

Thanks so much @Prince_Okinedo, will get in touch

1 Like

Dear @Vera,

I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. I myself had to disclose my status to someone I was starting a relationship with. This worked out better than your interaction, but a lot of it was due to patience and myself being in a fortunate position to be able to explain exactly what it meant and how much risk there was for infection. I hope that this will eventually happen with you (and thank you @Prince_Okinedo for the offer to help with this), but no matter what the outcome, I hope this does not stop you from moving forward with your head held high. You have done a great and brave thing and all of us in the community are supporting you.

Please keep us updated and feel free to keep sharing what you are going through.

Yours sincerely,
Thomas

4 Likes

Thanks so much @Thomas, at the moment, I’m still giving him time to come around. If he does, I will request @prince to shade more light as far as this condition is concerned and the risks involved.

My gratitude goes to the entire HBV community for showing me love at this time.
My head is held high, still pressing on with my dreams

My Regards to you and your family

2 Likes

Kindly if you don’t mind, please elaborate for me… Can the vaccines protect whoever will be my partner from being infected for the rest of his life?

A gain, my doctor was telling me that in due course, I may be discontinued from the therapy depending with the latest viral load results, Hbv e antigen, Renal function test, LFT. is it logical??

I don’t want to build my hopes for nothing only to be disappointed

Hello @Vera

YES……a future partner can be vaccinated against HBV.
My future husband was not vaccinated. When we found that fact out, he received the course of vaccines. It’s 3 shots over 6 months.
Be strong and I’m so sorry he has done this to you. Hopefully it is the shock. There is no shame, not your fault. Just another illness in the hundreds that are around.
Blessings

2 Likes

Yes, successful vaccination will be protective long-term (life-long as far as we know).

Generally discontinuation from therapy isn’t recommended unless you are HBsAg-negative.

If you are on therapy, this not only lowers the risk of liver disease but also lowers the risk of transmission to other people.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi @Filipa_Texas I’m sorry that he didn’t tell you earlier, I can understand how it can be intimidating to tell a partner, but I wish he told you earlier. You seem like an incredible person for being able to forgive and move forward. The man I’m in a relationship with told me a month into knowing each other (but we had NOT been intimate).

I wanted to follow-up with you and see if you turned out to be immune from Hep B? Are you healthy?

1 Like