Experiences with liver biopsy

Hi Tsbs
Kindly share with me your experience with biopsy.
1.Is it painful.
2.Is it done in-patient or out-patient
3.Do you fast before doing it. etc.
Kinoti

1 Like

A little painful. In my case lidocaine was infiltrated on the skin before it was done. It’s a day case. After the procedure, I was given IV fluids and.my vitals was monitored. Was released after 3 hours. I did it as a outpatient. No need for fasting

2 Likes

Hi Tsbs
Thanks alot for your sharing.
Why should you wait for two weeks to get your results back?

Kinoti

1 Like

Hi Thomas and friends.
I’ve gone through some literature from Cleveline clinic and they say it takes approximately 358 days for HCC tumor to grow by 1 cm in the initial stages. Is this so?
You know I have always checking my blood, US and fibrosis atleast once a year. Last year it was steatosis S1 (I worked on reducing weight to clear it).I didn’t have even an inch of mass.
Anyway,this gives me some hope as I wait for biopsy checks.

Kinoti.

1 Like

Hi Tsbs
I shared in this forum that last year I had steatosis grade S1. I didn’t do much. Some little exercise, little food per serving,(sometime no supper)avoided sugar,pastas,oily foods and white bread. Today,I am good to go atleast in terms of steatosis.
Wish you well.
Kinoti

3 Likes

Hi @Kinoti,

I think this is a great question and a very useful topic for people, so I thought it should be a separate topic for discussion.

I haven’t had one myself, but have seen the procedure done a few times. I believe some hospitals will have you fast in some cases (though you should get information from the doctor about this, as well as whether it will be in or out patient). People are not sedated during the procedure, it is just local anaesthetic. For many people, this is the most pain of the procedure, getting the local anaesthetic. After that, people don’t feel much just a little strange sensation.

I believe you are recommended not to work for the rest of the day (and maybe next day) to help you recover. Other than that, people seemed pretty OK and most of the unpleasant experience came from the anxiety of the lead-up to the procedure. Of course, there may be some people with other experiences, which I’d welcome them to share in this thread.

Thomas

1 Like

I think that this might be a general estimate, yes. But there may be variations in people and tumours.

Hi @ Thomas.
Thanks alot for sharing your experience with us.
Further, I would appreciate a sharing which helps in the understanding of how HCC grows from undetected size to a detectable one. And an approximate period it grows by a centimetre. This information will go a long way in cautiong us since we are a risky group.
Kinoti

1 Like

Yes, that’s a good question and something that may not be answerable because we can’t see HCCs when they are an undetected size. Detectable size is about 1-2cm. The time it takes to grow a centimetre is different along the stage of liver cancer, growth is much faster as the tumour gets bigger.

2 Likes

Mine was quite painful. It was done at the hospital, but on an outpatient basis. The worst part is they want you to be awake when it’s done. I’ve always said if my doctor ever orders it done again I’ll asked to be put under sedation so that I don’t have to go through the pain and agony. I don’t remember whether fasting was required or not.

1 Like

I had it done year ago. They gave me anesthesia shot on the spot and it was like a heavy pressure on top of my stomach. It’s nothing to fear.

1 Like