Understanding fatty liver disease

Just saw a gastroenterologist today. He counselled me on weight loss and dietary modification… I have to do tests like fasting lipid profile, fasting blood glucose , full blood count, liver function test. I am to see him in 2 weeks with the results. He also encouraged me to do liver biopsy. No medication until after the test results. I am just worried, I thought he was going to give a medication but he said not yet. Still having the abdominal oain

2 Likes

Dear @Tsbs,

These are quite normal tests to do before being considered for treatment, so no need to be worried about them. Liver biopsy would provide very strong evidence either way about what is going on in your liver, but if it were me I would wait for the lab results first before making a decision. Hope it all goes well and that you update us on your progress.

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Thanks for replying. Pain has got worse of recent. Noticed small specks of whitish mucoid stool.
It’s almost certain with the symptoms that it has likely progressed to cirrhosis or HCC.
I am so sad right now.

1 Like

I feel with you and I am almost sure alot is going in your mind.
Although I am not a medical expert, I would suggest you do general stool test as this could be a sign of amaebiosis.
Kindly keep us posted as we wish you all the best.
Kinoti

2 Likes

Thank you kinoti, I feel the pain right side of the chest under the ribs, right side of the abdomen, right side of the back. Pain worsens after eating. I have both fatty liver grade 3 and chronic hepatitis b.

1 Like

Just saw the result of my urinalysis which showed bilirubinuria 1+. It’s obvious I have a liver damage whether it’s cirrhotic or HCC I don’t know.
My question is, if I start treatment can the liver recover and bilirubinuria corrected.

1 Like

Hello
The liver can definitely recover with treatment.
And can stop further damage.
Blessings

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say that it’s certain you have HCC or anything else serious.
It could be “Mucus in stool is normal but when you see a lot of white or yellowish mucus, it means you may have a GI problem, like a stomach bug, IBS, inflammatory bowel disease, celiac, or other issue . It’s important to make sure something in your diet isn’t causing it and see a doctor to look for an underlying intestinal issue.”
Those are my thoughts and could be the cause of your pain, specially since you feel pain after you eat.
I had pain like yours from intestinal issues. I am now listening to my body by watching what I eat. If a certain food continues to cause pain, I stop eating it and see if that helps.
Having fibrosis is not liver cancer or cirrhosis.

2 Likes

Just saw the result of my LFT, ALT is 40 normal is 12, AST is 8, normal is 12. But there’s hypoalbuminemia with value of 18 and normal is 30 and above.
The hepatologist said it’s highly likely I am cirrhotic due to the hypoalbuminemia. I have been scheduled for liver biopsy in the next 2 days. My prayer is that the cirrhosis isn’t decompensated and that treatment can help me.

1 Like

Hi Tsbs
I am reading your post with lots of empathy as a person who can find himself in a similar condition. However, I would encourage you to soldier on without very much concentrating on what has not been confirmed. Further, you can imagine the worse scenario and figure out the possible steps to take.
Keep company of the ones who love and understand you. Keep talking to them about your condition so that they can be your shock absorbers.
Be encouraged and feel the entire hep b community is with you during your difficult time.
Please keep us posted.
Kinoti

3 Likes

Dear @Tsbs,

Sorry to hear about your condition. I really hope that it is good news from the biopsy.

There are others on the forum who have experienced cirrhosis (Living with cirrhosis) and have lived long lives, so please do not be too pessimistic even if there is confirmation.

Wishing you strength and please know that there is community support for you here.

Thomas

2 Likes

Thanks. Just had ultrasound guided biopsy today expecting result in the next 2 weeks or so. I still feel Sick sometimes, I just hope it isn’t HCC, at least cirrhosis can still be managed.

1 Like

My mouth has been bitter

2 Likes

I did the biopsy almost 2 weeks ago, result not yet out. Recently I have been feeling somehow around my left side of the abdomen. Thinking it’s ascitis or splenomegaly. I spoke to a gastroenterologist about the hypoalbuminemia but he was surprised that I can have albumin of less than 2 and have no ascitis. Yet to start antiviral because my doctor is waiting for the result of the biopsy. HBV DNA difficult to do where I am. I am only on atovastatin. I just hope it’s not too late before I start treatment for both NAFLD and hepatitis b

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your situation @Tsbs. It is always difficult waiting for test results and it can fill your head with what the worse could be.

We sometimes forget how common good news is though. Hopefully your results come through soon and you have a better idea about what lies ahead.

Wishing you all the best during this tough time,
Thomas

3 Likes

Thanks Thomas I actually appreciate your kind words

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Experiences with liver biopsy

Pls what are the drugs one can take for fatty liver?

Hi @bolad,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question.

Essentially there is no medication that can directly treat fatty liver disease at the moment.

Please read this thread and other related ones (e.g., Fatty liver medication and Lifestyle changes, nutrition, and supplements for hep b) for answers to any further queries.

Cheers,
Thomas

There’s no formal research proving that anything cures fatty liver. However, informally, there is some interesting research showing that choline can be of interest when researching this topic for yourself: https://x.com/chrismasterjohn/status/1742946863739801794?s=46&t=27h-rKrj1wkjqyJjzr_TTA