When to stop treatment

Dear @Ugyen ,

Some details about understanding your test results for you and the community at large:

If you are using a qualitative HBsAg test, the result will report positive or negative.

If you are using a quantitative test the result will either be target not detected, < 0.05 IU/mL or some quantitative result (in IU/mL).

You should familiarize your self with the kind of HBsAg test your doctor is using. It is important to always include the units of measurement.

Normally, HBe and anti-HBe tests are qualitative and use a ratio of signal to background noise (also called “cuttoff”) to report test results.

For HBe, a ratio of signal to cuttoff of < 1 indicates no HBeAg is present.
For anti-HBe, this is a special kind of “competitive” test where the value needs to be < 1 to indicate the presence of free antibodies to HBeAg.

In any case, your current HBsAg ELISA test result indicates you still have HBsAg present.
Also you are negative for HBeAg but also negative for HBeAg antibodies.

You should not stop your current antiviral therapy.

@availlant

What about reactivate and non reactivate?

Dear @Opa ,

I assume you are referring to “reactive” and “non-reactive”.

Reactive = the test detected the presence of the antigen or antibody.

Non-reactive = test did not detect the presence of the antigen or antibody.

@availlant

My test became reactive at the time I was tested for hepatitis b. Ever since then my worries begun and that was around may 2023

Dear @Opa ,

It may be that your have posted the details of your situation on the forum previously but I am not aware of them. Can you please provide more details of which tests you are talking about and the details of your chronic HBV infection that you have?

Without these is it difficult to provide any guidance.

@availlant