VIR-3434 Phase 1-study made by Vir Biotechnology

HI Stephenw,

Please be careful with your statements as most of these are not correct and can damage the understanding of patients.

Especially Nass’s last comment - his understanding is not correct.

Functional cure and cccDNA
It is widely recognized that removal of all cccDNA in the liver will not be possible. The reason for this is the ability of cccDNA to exist in a latent state (as heterochromatin) where it is not active, insoluble, not targeted by any current technologies in development, immunologically silent and very long lived. The futility of the cccDNA targeting approach has been well demonstrated in several clinical studies where removal of NUC therapy with undetectable cccDNA in the liver or with strong crush of HBV DNA with NUCs + CAMs leads to rapid rebound. Latent cccDNA is the basis for reactivation of patients with functional cure for decades when they receive immunosuppressive agents.
Even if you could get to removal of all cccDNA then in theory where would be no more viremia but still the increased prevalence of HCC - this is driven both HBsAg and integrated HBV DNA. Again you need to read the reviews. Only HBsAg loss has ever been shown to have long term benefit to patients with removal of therapy.

Integrated HBV DNA and ALT flares
Removal of integrated HBV DNA and the accompanying ALT flares are a hallmark of functional cure. For more than 20 years studies of these (host immune mediated) flares have shown that they are very well tolerated and essential for functional cure. Even when functional cure is not achieved, these flares are beneficial in increasing the rates of HBV DNA decline and HBeAg seroconversion in the absence of therapy, HBV DNA decline and HBsAg decline with NUC therapy and improved liver disease, even in patients with decompensated cirrhosis. You will have to read the reviews I suggested to understand this better.

Nucleotide polymorphisms and siRNA / ASO effects
Your are not understanding what the J&J conclusions mean in abstract 1213. HBsAg decline with a double stranded RNA designed as a siRNA where siRNA escape mutations are present at the baseline confirms that the HBsAg decline is not coming from degradation of HBV mRNA. Neither siRNA or ASO mediated mRNA degradation can occur with these mismatches present. This a fundamental limitation of the approached we have also known for decades. Again you need to read the reviews. Another fundamental problem with the study presented by J&J (Abstract 1213) is that they limit the scoring of patients with escape mutations to patients with at least 15% of observed HBV DNA sequences bearing escape mutations. This is an incorrect threshold since even patients with trace amounts of escape mutations will see these rapidly become fixed with the selection pressure of siRNA or ASO present (this was already demonstrated in animals for two different siRNA triggers for HBV). Undoubtedly the presence of escape mutations is present to some degree in almost all patients. The persistent HBsAg decline in the presence of escape mutations means that the HBsAg decline is not from an siRNA effect. Therefore, subviral particles (SVP) from integrated HBV DNA are not affected. This is the basis for the plateau of limited effect for all siRNA (1.5-2 log decline of HBsAg from baseline): SVP from integrated HBV DNA will always be present with these agents.

Bepirovirsen and which TLR?
Unfortunately, the preclinical immunological studies GSK conducted with bepirovirsen were conducted in mice, which have very different TLR reactivities than humans (this issue has been well known for some time). As such they have been led to incorrect conclusions regarding the TLR agonistic properties of bepirovirsen which fly in the face of decades of research. The biochemistry of how oligonucleotides stimulate TLRs has been investigated intensely for 30 years. There is no TLR8 reactive element in bepirovirsen (in fact its modifications have been shown to very efficiently suppress TLR8 reactivity) but there is a fully reactive TLR9 DNA motif (class II CpG) present in the unmodified central portion of bepirovirsen which can stimulate TLR9. This was missed in the mice studies because mice have different sequences for TLR9 stimulation than humans. Importantly, we have had other TLR8 agonists evaluated in clinical studies where potent TLR8 stimulation was confirmed but no antiviral effects. These issues were discussed in a recent editorial here.

Does bepirovirsen have ASO effects?
Bepirovirsen is targeted mainly to the immunoreactive cells of the liver (where there is no HBV infection). GSK3389404 is targets bepirovirsen mainly to hepatocytes (where the HBV infection exists).

If there were even a trace of ASO effect in bepirovirsen, the HBsAg declines would be stronger with GSK3389404. In fact they are much weaker and absent in some patients and GSK has abandoned this ASO.

Another ASO with no TLR reactivity (RG6004 aka RO7062931) had almost no HBsAg effect at all.

Remember that single point mutations equivalently destroy the activity of ASO and siRNA. In other diseases of the liver, all ASO and siRNA have IDENTICAL effects on target mRNAs and reduction of proteins. This disconnect between ASO and siRNA tells you that the HBsAg effects siRNA are not mediated by mRNA degradation.

The only reason why bepirovirsen exhibits HBsAg decline (and flares) in patients with low HBsAg while all other ASOs fail (including hepatocyte targeted bepirovirsen) is becuase ALL of the activity is coming from TLR9 stimulation.

Again hopefully you can see that there many complex issues at play (all of which are unfortunately ignored in the presentation of clinical data with oligonucleotide-based compounds).

Best regards,

2 Likes

Dear Nass,

This is not correct. While some patients have inactivated their cccDNA with NUC therapy, it will still be present in an inactive state. This is why NUC therapy is lifelong. Latent or inactive cccDNA reactivates with removal of NUC therapy in the presence of HBsAg (which acts to block host control of cccDNA reactivation). This is well demonstrated in the literature.

This is why NUC therapy can only be stopped safely with HBsAg loss (this is in all international treatment guidelines). In this state, HBsAg-mediated immunosuppression is absent and host control of cccDNA reactivation will persist (functional cure).

This why quant HBsAg is a useful tool.

Best regards,

1 Like

Dr Availlant
Thanks for the correction…This is why we have doctors and scientists…
I guess we should refrain interpreting any literature unless you are qualified…cause It Ain’t easy to understand any of these hbv literature or studies…

Appreciate your help in clarifying the misconception about this disease…!

Again Thanks.
Nass

2 Likes

I came across this article

GSK enters agreement to obtain exclusive license for JNJ-3989 to expand the development of bepirovirsen | GSK.

GSK enters agreement to obtain exclusive license for JNJ-3989 to expand the development of bepirovirsen

I understand it’s content is for investors and media only, I see this was previously discussed about it’s limited data to date and participant pool being extremely limited. My curiosity around it was piqued again, particularly if Mr.
@availlant or @ThomasTu have any recent thoughts on same? Does ongoing trial signal increased success rate ? ( I don’t know if I am asking this in the right way)

What therapies would you say are showing more promise towards a functional cure if not bepirovirsen?

Best,

Steph

Dear @Stephanie23,

JNJ-3939 is a sugar conjugated double stranded RNA molecule designed to target the degradation of HBV RNA. This is essentially the same kind of molecule as VIR-2218 and AB-729. This sugar conjugation (GalNAc) is designed to improve the uptake of these double stranded RNA molecules into hepatocytes where the infection lies (although 30% still accumulate in the non-hepatocyte, immunoreactive cells in the liver).

It is important to understand that the GalNAc conjugation acts like a depot in the liver, resulting in very slow elimination of these double stranded RNAs (and their antiviral effects) from the liver. In fact, other companies with a long history of developing these compounds (Alnylam) now dose GalNAc siRNA every 6 months because the GalNAc conjugation maintains active levels of double stranded RNA in the liver for this long. This accumulation phenomenon (and slow erosion of antiviral efficacy following removal of siRNA therapy) was shown previously for single doses of AB-729 and more recently with direct liver accumulation for JNJ-3989. So when we are looking at the portions of trial data after therapy has been removed it is important to understand that there is still a significant antiviral effect persisting from the GalNAc depot of double stranded RNA for MANY months. This is distinct from NAPs and bepirovirsen, which are not conjugated and which are largely cleared from the liver within weeks after stopping treatment.

The precise mechanism of action GalNAc siRNA (mRNA degradation vs immunostimulation) is not well understood. While all of these compounds induce a similar and fairly uniform decline in HBsAg in all patients, they also all have the same limitation of only targeting a portion of the HBsAg in the circulation, leaving abundant HBsAg still persisting despite continued therapy. Even HBsAg levels as low as 10 IU/mL still indicate a significant persisting reservoir of HBsAg ~200x greater than the lower limit of HBsAg detection (0.05 IU/mL) which we use to define HBsAg loss.

HBsAg loss is an important milestone in achieving functional cure: this only happens with pegIFN and NUCs when HBsAg becomes < 1 IU/mL and most often when HBsAg becomes < 0.05 IU/mL. The failure of all siRNA to achieve these strong levels HBsAg reduction is the primary reason why JNJ-3989, even in combination with other direct acting antiviral agents and even including pegIFN has failed to achieve functional cure except in very rare cases.

Bepirovirsen is a unconjugated single stranded DNA molecule (with some RNA modifications on each end) which contains an immunostimulatory motif. While there is still debate about the exact nature of the immunostimulation caused by this molecule, its ability to achieve HBsAg loss is limited to patients with low baseline HBsAg and even in these cases, we have seen rapid rebound in most patients at the 24 week time point (consistent with the more rapid clearance of bepirovirsen from the liver).

One idea behind adding JNJ-3989 to bepirovirsen and or pegIFN is to initially reduce HBsAg to lower levels in all patients before adding bepirovirsen in order to try to establish HBsAg loss in a greater proportion of patients. It is not possible to predict if this will improve rates of HBsAg loss or functional cure until we see long term follow-up data (at least one year) after all therapy is removed.

@availlant

1 Like

Thank you once again for providing further clarity… I guess I am in the phase of desperation for a quick or viable solution to absolve me of this endangered feeling I am experiencing…I apologize for having you answer these difficult questions from me.

Thank you again @availlant

-Steph

Dear @Stephanie23,

Please do not apologize. The details of antiviral therapies currently in development are quite complex. Explaining these concepts in layperson terms is one of the reasons why the HBV community was created. It was a good question and lets see what develops.

I assume you have chronic HBV infection and are taking oral antiviral therapy correct? Feeling a sense of desperation and or endangerment is very understandable and you are not alone amongst people who live with chronic HBV infection. However, it is possible to live a happy and productive life with the current oral antiviral therapies available and you can find lots of these stories in this forum. I encourage you to have a positive outlook!

@availlant

1 Like

Interestingly enough, my Gastroenterologist is apprehensive about puting me on antiviral thererapy because I am pregnant (that’s how I found out about my HBV status) he(GE) ran additional tests and I have a high viral load of 88k, so I asked my OBGYN for a second opinion about treating while pregnant to reduce chance of transmission to our baby. I feel like I am in the stage of advocating for myself and am willing to see another provider once my OBGYN gets back to me after speaking with some colleagues, he said he wants to have as much information as possible since that isn’t his area of specialty. I know post labor the baby will be given hemoglobin and a shot but my load worries me and I want to do my part for her. I guess thats also why I’m incessantly looking for answers to be informed to advocate for myself and our care.

-Steph

1 Like

Dear @Stephanie23 ,

Thanks for sharing this IMPORTANT therapy. Your viral load is fairly high so there is an increased risk of transmission of HBV to your child. You are right in wanting to do everything you can to prevent this from happening.

The good news is that we have tools to well known to safely reduce the risk of maternal transfer and also to prevent the development of chronic HBV in your child.

1. TDF has been shown to be safe and effective in controlling HBV infection during pregnancy - please see these resources:

https://www.hepb.org/treatment-and-management/pregnancy-and-hbv/treatment-during-pregnancy/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5975958/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-33833-w
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7820648/

Its use is indicated in the third trimester for pregnant women with significant HBV DNA loads.

1. Birth dose vaccination (as soon as possible after birth) is routinely done in new born babies with HBV infected mothers.

Both of these measures should be employed to minimize the risk to your child. Please try to find an OBGYN / hepatologist who understands these issues and can help you with these routine practices to prevent maternal transfer.

Good luck!

@availlant

2 Likes