Understanding results of virus hepatitis

Dear Members,
This is not strictly related to hep b but I cannot get my head around it.
If one tests negative for antibodies hcv, it probably means they have never had the C virus
If one tests negative for antibodies HDV, it probably means they have never had the D infection
If one tests negative for antibodies HAV, it means they have never had hepatitis a
If one tests negative for antibodies HBS, it means either acute/chronic infection or no immunity.
Why is that? Isn’t the lack of the antibodies for hcv, hav, HDV a sign that they might have a chronic or acute infection with these types of virus hepatitis?

1 Like

Hi @Natti,

Good question! This is partially answered by the starting post of this thread: EXPLAINER: Lab results and their interpretation. Basically the equivalent marker for these is antibodies against HBc: if it is negative, you have never had Hep B.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

4 Likes

@ThomasTu thank you so much! It is all clearer now. I have tested positive for anti-hav. I read it is generally not chronic, but I guess it is worth checking anyway of the A virus is in blood. I came across a stumbling block again because apparently this is not a standard test that can be done anywhere.

1 Like