Reduction in size

Hi. I’m curious.
Does hepatitis B cause reduction in muscle size and weight? Because I’ve been noticing reduction in my muscle mass and wrinkling on my skin lately. What could be the cause, what can I do to correct it?
Advise please, thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Joseph, I am certain that having chronic hep does NOT directly reduce your muscle size or cause wrinkling of your skin. With that said, however, if the hep b infection is affecting your appetite or hdyration status in any way, then there could be a possible causal relationship. It’s unlikely, though. Wrinkling of skin occurs primarily due to aging, too much sun exposure, or lack of adequate hydration (not enough water intake). As far as muscle reduction, depending on how severe it is, the reduction could also be due to aging, decreased exercise or mobility or worse case scenario, another medical condition. If you feel that your muscle reduction is severe in nature, then it’s something you could talk to a health care provider about. But other health experts may have opinions to share about your question. Thanks for posting! Always, Joan

2 Likes

Thank you so much for responding. I actually eat well, I have enough appetite to eat any quantity of food. But lately, people around have been telling me l look lean and of course I’m seeing a it myself. I happen to be a fitness trainer, I workout but I’m becoming lean instead which worries me. I was just curious to know if this is what everyone experiences or its just me.
And concerning age, I’m still very young, (26), I don’t think I should be wrinkling now

Hi Joseph
There’re a number of things that can cause you to loose weight. In addition to what Joan said, there are some medical conditions that can lead to weight loss which we won’t want to miss. I would advise you go to a nearby hospital and lay this complaints, I’m sure they’ll be able to investigate further. If you’re in Lagos mainland, I can see you as your doctor free of charge I.e if you don’t have medical insurance or don’t have money for consultation. But it’s really important to visit a doctor

6 Likes

Oh, wow. That’s so kind of You. Thank you so much.
I’ll see a doctor as soon as possible. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi am also experiencing same thing reduction in size and wrinkles on my hands.am really worried.

Hi @Adedeji_Joseph,

I hope your visit with your doctor went well. Please give us an update if you can.

@Dell, as mentioned above by @Janefrancis, it is best to go to your doctor as there are many causes of weight loss and diagnosis of it requires some level of physical examination.

Thomas

1 Like

Hi @ThomasTu
It’s been a while.
I complained to the doctors, they said it’s nothing but I don’t believe it nothing. The texture of my skin has changed drastically, Not the color though, just the feel of it. I used to be a muscular person with a seemingly tough skin but now it so super super soft and when I hold a portion of my harm or anywhere and squeeze with, it forms lots of wrinkles. I don’t know why that is. I don’t know if I’m the only person experiencing a change in skin texture. But since y’all believe it’s not related to the virus, there is not much I can say. Asides that there is a constant burn that I feel in the upper right quadrant of my tummy, when I complained to the doctor, they said it’s just me being super conscious of where the liver is located which actually isn’t it, I can actually feel something like a heavy load on that part. Recently, I feel a slight pain on my back directly opposite to the top right quadrant of my belly.
My last test showed my viral load is undetectable and that the virus is inactive. I’m quite unclear what that even mean cause since my status is that, I feel I shouldn’t be feeling all these pains around just yet. I’ve been taking a dose of livolin forte everyday, the doctors recommended it. They said it repairs the liver. Whenever I get tired of it and stop for a few days, my body tends to react to it too. That again makes me question what this inactive chronic state is cause I read that I do not need treatment, at least not for now. So, why am I experiencing this. Is there something I’m supposed to be doing that I’m not doing? Too many questions I have.

I’m just so tired. I wish all these can just go away.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that @Adedeji_Joseph. As mentioned by others in the forum, the upper right quadrant pain can be caused by other things (e.g., stomach ulcers), which are worthwhile to be checked out and treated if need be. Other factors may also influence things like fatigue.

The good news is that with undetectable viral load, your chances of liver disease progression due to Hepatitis B are low.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

What do you have to say about the skin texture change? And why am I experiencing these others symptoms? Have others experienced similar skin texture change?

Hi @Adedeji_Joseph,

I have not heard about skin texture changes being associated with Hepatitis B. Other causes might be worth exploring.

Thomas