READ THROUGH IT: Give back your support and advice

Hello everyone,
Name: Safari Eric ,
My age: 30 years
I recently did an ultrasound test, they found starry sky appearance with my liver, and some other testes with the following results: globules blanc is 3.6, Hematocrite 54.1, plaquette 67, Neutrophiles 28, Lymphocytes 63, AST 86.6, ALT 79.7, Bilirubine directe 3, viral load 4760000 UI/ml, HBsAb negative, HBcAb positive, HBeAg negative and HBeAb negative, and now its been a full week taking a TDF, I got confused when they tested me positive because I did not have symptoms, I don’t know much about the disease, only I can live long with your daily support as I wish to have a family in my future.
Thank you all.

Dear Safari Eric,

I am a senior HBV virologist. Testing positive for HBV despite having no symptoms is very common. This is because it takes years of infection in many cases for disease to develop. Fortunately, you are promptly receiving good medical care. Tenofovir is one of the very best drugs available for HBV. I encourage you to discuss your questions with your care provider as she or he will know your case the best. Your prognosis is very good with treatment and monitoring!

John Tavis

Which meds are you on TAFor TDF. I recently read a study online that tested both of these Meds and many on TDF experienced kidney problems and some bone issues. TAF was very minimal. They did not find TDF better than TAF or TAF better than TDF, other than TAF had better side effects.

But TDF is newer.

It’s just something online. If anybody with more knowledge has anything, please share.

Thank you John and Neptune
@Neptune, I am just taking TDF only .

Can it be possible to experience the problems of symptoms while you are taking medications ???

I don’t know. I just read it online.

Hbeag and hbeag negative? I tried to look that up and couldn’t find anything on it. If the experts has any info, I would like to learn about it.

I don’t know if where you are and where I live (USA), uses the same measurements in blood test for Hepatitis B.

Hi,
TAF is a prodrug that is absorbed more quickly than TDF and produces higher levels of the active drug, known as tenofovir diphosphate, in cells. This means it can be given in smaller doses, leading to lower drug levels in the blood and less exposure for the kidneys, bones and other organs.
I believe as effectiveness both are similar, in terms of side effects TAF is preferable in people with already diagnosed kidney problems or osteoporosis. TDF also lower the cholesterol level. With TAF you can gain wait.
So to choose you have to balance and consider your status. The newest drug is TAF.
BR

Hi Safari, as Dr. John Tavis wrote before, hepatitis B is known as a “silent infection” in that most people don’t know they’re infected. So then folks like you are really surprised when you’re diagnosed with hep B. And your blood test results show that you should be a good candidate from treatment. And Lilli clarified above that TAF is the newest drug. You’re taking TDF, which is the original version and very good. Since you’re a young 30 year old man the risk of of bone loss (osteoporosis) is low. Your doctor should be sure to check your kidney function blood tests as a “baseline” to make sure your kidneys are healthy.

As someone who has been on TDF (and now TAF) for the past 5 years, I haven’t had any physical symptoms taking medication. But I have heard some people do have some issues. Hopefully you won’t! But again, any antiviral medication may have long-term effects - for me an older women age 60 years I was switched to TAF from TDF because I was developing osteoporosis. By switching to TAF, my bone loss has significantly decreased.

In regards to your question about getting married and having children - YES, you can expect to enjoy a long, healthy and happy life. I have been married fro 35 years and have two healthy adult children who are both married (and I just became a new grandmother). So please know that having chronic hep B is manageable, controllable with antiviral medications, and most people like us live life normally and without physical problems.

With that said, it’s important to try to avoid or limit how much alcohol you drink, stop smoking, and take good care of your health (sleep well, eat good food, get exercise). In regards to dating, it’s important that you practice “safe sex” (use condoms, avoid rough sex) and ideally, to share you hep B diagnosis in advance assuming you’re having sex with someone that you want to have a serious relationship with. There’s a safe and effective vaccine that can provide almost 50% protection even after the first dose!! Combined with the use of a condom, the risk of transmission is greatly reduced. Of course your partner(s) should complete the 3 dose vaccine series for complete protection.

As far as children, hep B is an “infectious” disease - it’s not “genetic.” So you can’t “pass it on” to any future children. And any newborn baby should receive the hep B vaccine at birth which will protect them for life!

Ok this may be too much information, but hopefully it’s helpful. Please keep posted and so glad you joined the forum. Look forward to hearing from you again. Cheers, Joan