Please can someone explain my result to me please

Hi Thomas and everyone thanks for the help. I got my test results today and it says

Chronic Hepatitis B, eAg Negative.

Fibroscan. 2022 LSM 5.5kpa,CAP 163

HBsAG. 33074

HBV DNA. 1.03 E3
ALT 51

And they wrote No FH HCC

Please what does this means

1 Like

Hi Chukwu,

These test results indicate the presence of chronic HBV infection with no evidence of detectable liver disease or liver cancer. A liver ultrasound would be more informative to examine the presence or absence of liver disease.

Infectious particles (HBV DNA) is low and non-infectious particles (HBsAg) are high.

HBV DNA tells us how active the viral infection in your liver is. HBsAg tells us (when it becomes undetectable) if your body has regained immune control of HBV infection.

So you have a weakly active viral infection with no immune control and very very mild liver dysfunction (ALT 51) - this should not be confused with liver disease. You should be followed at least every 6 months in case this changes.

Hope this helps…

2 Likes

Thank you so much. What is the chance of passing this to another. And also what is the meaning of chronic Hep b eAG

1 Like

Hi Chukwu,

HBV is a transmissible disease and your HBV DNA result shows that your liver is producing small amounts of infectious virus. Transmission of HBV can occur by exposure of open wounds to HBV in the environment, between IV drug users who share the same needles or unprotected sexual activity. You should be vigilant about these high risk activities. Otherwise, casual contact / exposure does not result in the transmission of infection.

HBeAg negative chronic infection signals the inactivation (but not elimination) of cccDNA in the liver. It is considered a positive step in the evolution of infection, especially in those individuals who are not receiving therapy.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. Just a last one. I am not on any medication at the moment, is that ok and also am trying to have a family soon. What steps can I take. I don’t want to put someone else at risk

Hi Chukwu, I’m not sure if you’re a future father or mother? If you’re a future father then you would want your partner to be tested for hep b and if unprotected (meaning she doesn’t have protective antibodies against the hep b virus) start the hep b vaccine series now since it takes 6 months to complete the 3-dose series; however, in the U.S. there’s a 2 dose series now available (just not sure how widely available it is outside the U.S.?). Your primary responsibility is to protect against infecting the future mother since the virus is spread from an infected woman to her newborn during pregnancy and/or during delivery of the newborn. And of course once the baby is born, they should receive the first dose of the hep b vaccine immediately after delivery or within 12-24 hours after birth, and complete the rest of the vaccine series on schedule. As a dad, your risk of transmitting to the baby is very low, especially if they have been vaccinated. If you’re a future mother, please let me know and I’ll send you additional information because it’s more complicated for women. Also, in your original email the last sentence included “FH HCC” — that means “no family history of HCC” or liver cancer (hepatocelullar carcinoma is primary liver cancer). Thanks and keep us posted. Always, Joan

2 Likes

Thank
You so much Joan. I realy apriciate everyone on this platform. I am a future father. And that’s why I am asking. I pray everything get better because I still don’t know how I got this.

2 Likes

Hello,

What amount of HBV DNA is enough to be infectious during unprotected sexual activity? I ask because my HBV DNA result came back and I’m not sure if HBV Target Detected <10 IU/mL is enough to transmit the virus to other person.

Dear @Hope,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the question. The risk of transmission when <10IU/mL HBV DNA is very low (but not zero).

Thomas

1 Like