Online workshop on HBV Cure (Free registration, 30th Sept 2021)

Dear all,

New announcement from ICE-HBV. Registration for the ICE-HBV workshop “HBV Cure: The Mechanisms Behind Combination Therapies” is now free for anyone wanting to join online. It will also be free for anyone from the affected community to attend in person, if they happen to be in Toronto, Canada. Presumably we have @Suwang88 and @john.tavis to thank for bringing this up with the organizing committee?

Please find more information, program for the day, and registration details at the following link: HBV Cure: The Mechanisms Behind Combination Therapies – ICE-HBV.

RECORDING AVAILABLE HERE (starts at 42 minutes): Redirecting...

Cheers,
Thomas

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this good news Thomas. I look forward to having members of Hep B Community join us at the ICE-HBV workshop on September 30, either virtually or in-person in Toronto, Canada!

As an update: We are still working to provide a low-cost option for community members to attend the International HBV Meeting. This is the premier annual HBV scientific meeting where the newest science is presented. It is a technical working meeting of scientists, but community members are quite welcome! I’ll make another post once we work our way through the issues associated with this possible change in registration policy.

John.

4 Likes

Hurrah, very excited about this!
Looking forward to hearing both of you talk-@ThomasTu and @john.tavis!

1 Like

Hi all,

There are 3 inter-related meetings HBV being held this September in Toronto, Canada. Registration for all 3 meetings is at https://www.hbvmeeting.org/registration/. Details are:

The International HBV Meeting. Sept. 26-30. Both in-person and virtual. This is the premier annual meeting on HBV biology and early-stage translational studies. It is where most initial scientific discoveries on HBV are reported. It is a very technical working meeting of scientists, but community members are very welcome if they’d like to wade through the dense jargon we scientists have a bad habit of using all the time. Fees are: US$500 for in-person attendance and US$199 for virtual attendance.

The ICE-HBV Symposium on the science behind combination therapy for chronic HBV. September 30. In-person and virtual. This will be a meeting of leading HBV scientists, thought leaders, and pharmaceutical company scientists to discuss science-based rationales for combining drugs with different mechanisms of action to optimize efficacy and increase cure rates. It will be partly a technical working meeting of scientists, partially an opinion-based discussion, and partially a policy discussion. This is FREE to community members, but the website has not yet been updated to reflect this change. I’ll get that fixed.

The ICE-HBV and Hepatitis B Foundation Patient Forum. September 30. In person and virtual. This is a community-focused event where the concerns of the patient community will be discussed and highlights of the International HBV Meeting will be presented at a layperson’s level. There will be significant attendance at the Patient Forum by the HBV scientists who attended the main scientific meeting to promote communication with the patient community. Everyone is very welcome!

There was a request submitted through the HepB Community forum to expand access of community members to the scientific sessions in Toronto. In response, the ICE-HBV Governing Board eliminated fees for the ICE-HBV Symposium for community members.

The HBV Meeting Scientific Advisory Council had a long discussion about reducing the fees at the International HBV Meeting for community members. We chose not to reduce the fees for two reasons: First, this is a very intense scientific meeting (frankly, I’m exhausted from concentrating that hard after the meeting each year). That intensity is essential for the scientific community to grapple with the very difficult issues associated with trying to cure HBV. All of the sessions are highly technical, and there are no parallel public policy or community health sessions that would be more accessible (and likely more interesting!) to community members. The second reason is that The International HBV Meeting is not part of a larger scientific society and needs to be financially self-sustaining. It is funded by attendee fees, fund-raising from industry groups, government grants, in-kind assistance from the Hepatitis B Foundation, and occasional philanthropic donations. The Meeting’s funds help subsidize the ICE-HBV Symposium, and the Public Forum is supported by a combination of funds from the Meeting, ICE-HBV, and the Hepatitis B Foundation.

These issues aside, everyone involved in the International HBV Meeting wants to emphasize that community members are very welcome to attend the meeting if they want to do so. As one Scientific Advisory Council member put it: We don’t work on HBV for our egos, but to help the patient community.

4 Likes

Thanks for this, @john.tavis!

We really appreciate your advocacy for this!

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi all,

The agenda for the ICE-HBV symposium on experimental combination therapies is complete. Registration info is in a post from July 12 in this discussion chain. The link to the symposium agenda is: HBV Cure: The Mechanisms Behind Combination Therapies – ICE-HBV This should be a great scientific/strategy discussion!

The agenda for the HBV Public Forum sponsored by the HBF and ICE-HBV is almost done. I’ll post it when it is available. Registration for the Public Forum is free.

John

2 Likes

Hi all,

The final program for the Public Forum associated with the 2021 International HBV Meeting in Toronto Canada has been released. As a reminder, registration is free for either in-person or virtual attendance. The Forum will be held Friday, September 30 from 7.30-9.00 AM Eastern Time (same time zone as Toronto and New York). Everyone is welcome to attend! Registration is at https://www.hbvmeeting.org/program/hbv-patient-forum/

John.

3 Likes

Thanks for this, @john.tavis. Looking forward to presenting and answering any questions that people have. I’m also looking forward to having great interactions with my colleagues despite these huge disruptions to our lives!

I hope that everyone can come and make my converting completely to Toronto time worth it (starting at 9pm and going until 3am for all of the forums!)

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Think its Thursday John :slight_smile:

You are correct! I appear to be calendar-challenged!

John

Hi all,

ICE-HBV have just released a recording of the event here: 2nd Hepatitis B Community forum (starts at 44 minutes). I encourage you all to check it out if you missed it.

Cheers,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

As usual, very interesting and informative. As usual, you did a great job of illustrating and demonstrating HBV in a more understandable way for the general populous.

It was also great to see @john.tavis and hear about the current work and progress in the scientific community for treatment and potential cures for CHB. It gives me hope for the future and fortifies my desire to make it until these cures become public and prevalent.

Of course, it’s always so nice to hear from @joan_block and her representation and advocacy for the HB community.

Thank you all and I recommend all the members of this community to watch this recording.

Best regards,

Paul

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m really pleased that you found it informative!

There was a nice banner at the HBV meeting advertising HepB Community. I hope it helps others find the site and a supportive community.

John.

2 Likes

Hi all, I agree that Thomas did a wonderful job keeping HBV 101 simple and easy to understand! And I always enjoy listening to John Tavis explain the new drugs in the research pipeline for hep b and his optimism that a cure will be found! I find it heartening to know that some scientists can share their valuable knowledge in a relatable and accessible manner. Thanks to both of them! Always, Joan

1 Like