Low white blood cell count and chronic hep b

Hello,
I’m not sure if this is the right category to post but I’d like to ask a question about wbc.

For chronic hep b carrier, is it common to have low white blood cell count such as 3.4?
Also low red blood cell count of 3.67, could this have been due to being a chronic hep b carrier?

Is it common for Hep b carrier to have low blood counts?

Thank you for any feedback.

Hello Catcher,

My white blood cell count is almost always low. It fluctuates but my lowest that I have on record is 3.0

I don’t have a low red blood cell count though. However, my platelet count is always low and on record has gone as low as 76.

I was told by hepatologists that my low white blood cell count and low platelets was due to cirrhosis. I don’t know if this is standard for all CHB patients or not.

Maybe @HealthExperts can weigh in here.

Keep in mind there could be a delay in response from an expert right now,

-Paul

Low white blood cell and platelets count can be related to the presence of cirrhosis with portal hypertension and splenomegaly but there are other causes too. Cirrhosis can be due to CHB or other etiologies. Most HBsAg positive patients do not have and never develop cirrhosis. But if you have HBV related cirrhosis, antiHBV therapy is mandatory

Prof. Pietro Lampertico, MD, PhD

Full Professor of Gastroenterology

Head of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Division

Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico

University of Milan

Via Francesco Sforza 35

20122- Milan

Italy

Phone +390255035432

Fax +390250320410

Email pietro.lampertico@unimi.it

2 Likes

Hi Pietro,

Is antiHBV therapy just mean antivirals like Vemlidy?

I do have both portal hypertension and splenomegaly.

-Paul

Yes, therapy is based on long-term administration of nucleos(t)ide analogs

University of Milan

Via Francesco Sforza 35

20122- Milan

Italy

Phone +390255035432

Fax +390250320410

1 Like

Thank you Paul and Professor Lambertico for your feedbacks.

I’ve always had low wbc and had asked my gastro but he said not to worry about it, yet I am still concerned because I want to understand why that is so. I might bring this up again to him next time when I see him.

My platelet count is 211 (normal range)
Have been on antiviral meds for 17 years now. I am BE antigen reactive and B surface antigen reactive. I will be on meds for life, so I am told.
Should I get a non- invasive test for my liver if I’ve developed cirrhosis or not? What is the name of non invasive test for my liver condition? is it called fibroscan test? Are there any others that are new?
Thank you so much!

1 Like

Hi Catcher,

I believe that a fibroscan would be a non-invasive test to see what level of fibrosis you may have. I have read on here and spoken to someone about a blood test that can determine how much scarring you have in the liver, this would be non-invasive also. I don’t know much about the blood test and how that is possible to detect the level of liver scarring. I also don’t know how a fibroscan works. I have only had biopsies because it was prior to when fibroscans became popular in the U.S. Since then, I have been told that I am not given fibroscans because they determine the level of fibrosis one has and I have cirrhosis, so a fibroscan is unnecessary for me.

@HealthExperts can correct me here, but I am guessing that a fibroscan is probably what you are looking for. They can probably also check with ultrasound, CT scan and MRI’s. None of those are very invasive either. It just depends on your doctor and your medical history and CHB history.

Good luck,

-Paul

1 Like

The reassessment of fibroscan during long-term NUC therapy in cirrhotics is important to stratify for HCC risk

University of Milan

Via Francesco Sforza 35

20122- Milan

Italy

Phone +390255035432

Fax +390250320410

3 Likes