Lifestyle changes, nutrition, and supplements for hep b

Thank you for your reply. @ThomasTu

1 Like

Dear @ThomasTu,

Thank you for this resource on fasting. Fasting is common in my faith. I was fasting and two things occurred: 1) My usual ā€œgo toā€ arm was not producing blood during a blood test and 2) my glucose levels were off which triggered the doctorā€™s office to ask if I was fasting ā€“ for this particular blood test, apparently I am pushing up on pre-diabetic. I have since broken my fast and, at doctorā€™s recommendation, transitioned to whole food plant based diet. Hopefully the next blood test will be better since Iā€™ve never had concerns about blood work.

2 Likes

Thanks @ThomasTu,

I started drinking coffee for this reason. I use zero sugar creamer most of time and 100% natural Stevia (the one that says #1 Dr Recommended). Other times I can take it straight. If I want to treat myself from time to time, Iā€™ll use a little regular creamer. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi @Joan_Block,

Thank you for your post. Very encouraging. As for me:

. Not a drinker and when I used to drink it would be a sweet moscato or champagne, but I would also rarely finish a whole glass. My inability to enjoy a drink frustrates my wife to no end when she wants me to ā€œtasteā€ when she partakes.

. Not a smoker.
. Basically gave up soda (Pepsi was my vice) then shifted to diet pepsi. Now I am into Zevia ā€œsodaā€ which is supposed to be plant-based.
. Rarely eat meat now: weaned off of medium rare beef and lamb. Chicken breast and seafood were go-to BUT NOW my doctor wants me to transition to whole food plant-based diet.

I made other dietary adjustments such as consuming a lot of fresh lemon, grapefruit, blueberries, celery and carrot juices, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, tumeric powder, etc.

Yet, somehow, my third ultrasound (February 2023) revealed some ā€œcoarseningā€ in my liver. I meet with my doc March 31 to better understand what all this means and a plan forward since she said that the ultrasound was not the best test to measure the ā€œcoarsening.ā€

Hello everyone!

My dentist suggested I use chlorhexidine toothpaste and mouthwash. I was wondering if that is ok given my status. Can daily exposure to chlorhexidine affect liver?

Best,
Drew

Dear Drew,

I cannot find any literature that would suggest that using chlorhexidine toothpaste and mouthwash would cause any liver related issues. Is there a specific reason you are worried? Did you raise these worries with your dentist?

Thomas

1 Like

I think itā€™s a hard choice. My doctor said I reduce my beer intake and I just read her face knew she is just being nice .I decided to quit instantly and I can tell you I feel better.
Iā€™m not yet on the anti Virals but one thing I noted is that the HBV DNA is going down while the HBsag is going up for the last 3 tests I have done . Why would this be so Thomas?
Am HBseg negative

2 Likes

I am very picky eater, i am trying to get healthy and more active. i heard beet are good for hep b positive i tried to ate daily but i cant then i came to see Goli with beets(goli-beets-cardio | GoliĀ®) can i take this daily?
Thanks.

HBsAg is produced through a different mechanism to HBV DNA, so it is possible that the HBV DNA levels go down while HBsAg doesnā€™t change too much (or goes up). Is this a very big amount that it is changing?

What I can find online seems to show very limited effects in patients. Thereā€™s 1 randomised control trial in people with fatty liver and Coenzyme Q10 (one of the major parts of that supplement) seems to reduce ALT and AST markers very very slightly (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279966108_Functions_of_Coenzyme_Q10_Supplementation_on_Liver_Enzymes_Markers_of_Systemic_Inflammation_and_Adipokines_in_Patients_Affected_by_Nonalcoholic_Fatty_Liver_Disease_A_Double-Blind_Placebo-Controlled_Ra).

There is not much on how safe these beet gummies are and thereā€™s not much evidence on how much they will help. The choice is up to you, but I personally would not take them without some more convincing data.

1 Like

Experts, please check this out and let us know your feedback.

Source Documentation

1 Like

Dear @Mike,

Thanks for this, this table has been posted in the thread above. My answer is copied below:

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Hi there,

Itā€™s great to hear that your partner is taking steps to manage their hepatitis B through lifestyle changes. Exercise and reducing alcohol intake are both excellent ways to support liver health, which is particularly important when dealing with hepatitis B.

There are a few other lifestyle changes that can be beneficial for those with hepatitis B. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Maintain a healthy diet: Eating a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains can help support overall health and liver function.
  2. Avoid smoking: Smoking is known to increase the risk of liver disease, so quitting smoking or avoiding exposure to secondhand smoke is important.
  3. Manage stress: Chronic stress can impact liver function, so finding ways to manage stress, such as through mindfulness, exercise, or therapy, can be helpful.
  4. Get vaccinated: If you havenā€™t already, getting vaccinated for hepatitis B can help prevent further complications from the virus.

Itā€™s important to note that while lifestyle changes can be helpful, they are not a replacement for medical treatment. If your partner has hepatitis B, they should continue to work closely with their healthcare provider to manage their condition.

Overall, incorporating healthy lifestyle habits like exercise, healthy eating, and stress management can support liver health and potentially improve outcomes for those with hepatitis B. I highly recommend Dr . Neerav goyal who has 18+ years experience in this field if you need any treatment.

1 Like

Are you really sure after getting diagnosed with HBV positive we could get Vaccinated? is it actually works???

1. Get vaccinated: If you havenā€™t already, getting vaccinated for hepatitis B can help prevent further complications from the virus.
1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @shikshasharma. Thanks for reiterating these helpful point.

As raised by @IWillBeCured, the vaccination will not cure or treat a person with chronic hepatitis B. But for people without Hepatitis B, vaccination will help protect them in most cases.

Thomas

1 Like

Can I take Vitamin C
Is it safe for liver

Hi Suresh 786
Itā€™s my hope you are doing well. As much as I like your question, I am unable to understand what you what to achieve by taking vit c. Itā€™s my hope itā€™s recommended by your doctor.
Kinoti

My understanding is that there is no real benefit for Vitamin C supplements (if youā€™re not vitamin C deficient). Indeed, a Cochrane report (which does meta-analyses of studies, combining all of their results together) found no evidence that these supplements actually help liver disease: Antioxidant supplements for liver disease | Cochrane

As mentioned by @Kinoti, itā€™s best to run this past your doctor to see if it would have any effect on your specific condition.

Thomas

1 Like

Thanks @Kinoti and @ThomasTu
I want to take vitamin C because of Skin Eczema and Hyperpigmentation, not because of liver. But i am afraid, will it have any adverse affects on liver.
@Kinoti I hope and pray that you are recovering from your liver disease.

Hi Suresh,
I have read what @Thomas has written in regard to vit. C supplements and I canā€™t agree with him more.
As regard to my recovery after hepatectomy, so far so good. However, I have started experiencing some pain under my right armpit which concerns me. Soon I will be going for my six months follow up appointment and pray all turn out well.I will keep you posted
Kinoti

4 Likes

Dear @Suresh786,

There have been clinical trials on Vitamin C in liver disease patients that have not reported any adverse effects (e.g. Effects of Oral Vitamin C Supplementation on Liver Health and Associated Parameters in Patients With Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Randomized Clinical Trial - PMC; https://aasldpubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/hep.21080). It should be something that should be monitored for though.

Dear @Kinoti,
I hope everything works out OK. Wishing you all the strength and luck.
Thomas

4 Likes