INTRODUCTION THREAD: People affected by Hep B

@MariaE, thank you for the kind words and thanks for sharing your story. Hope you find the support you need here and please keep us up to date with how you’re going.

TT

1 Like

Hi Dr.
I would be thankful if you could answer my 3 questions.
I resolved acute hbv. Now I’m Hbsag: negative , hbsab 1000, hbcab : neg.

Now, I have lower platelet and wbc than before. I think it is because of the effectiveness of theremaining viruses on my pbmc.

1. How long it takes for body to clear PBMC?
    peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs)
  2. What is the limitation of detection for hbv pcr test?
    3.Considering I had nonreactive hbv pcr test, is it possible that I have low viruses but the test could not find it?

Dear @ryan,

Thanks for your questions.

PBMCs are the white blood cells circulating in our body. The majority only have a short lifespan (1-3 days, White Blood Cells and Granulocytes | Red Cross Blood Services).

The lower limit of detection for PCR tests is 4.4 IU/mL or 25 copies of virus per mL.

It is unlikely, given your HBsAg-seroconversion. Even if there was virus in your blood there is so much anti-HBs antibody in your blood that it would be neutralised within seconds of being produced and would be quickly swallowed up by your immune system.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Thanks dr. For your precious information.
I heard that hbv virus can affect the monocyte and lymphocyte up to several months or years after hbv seroconversion. Is it true? How long it take for body to remove hbv virus on pbmc?
While I cleared hbv but still have some minor symptoms such as cracks on some of my fingernails and red pimples on my chest. When these symptoms will disappear completely?

1 Like

Very little is known about how hep B actually affects the white blood cells (if it does at all). I’m not sure what data there is to show how long HBV survives in these cells, do you have a link to this information?

Cracks in the fingernails and pimples are not usual symptoms of HBV infection, so these may be caused by other factors.

Thomas

2 Likes

I emailed a post to post@www.hepbcommunity.org but i got a response saying that i didnt have the trust level to make a post. How do i get the trust level needed to make a post?

Hi @BriGirl ,

Please read this post for more information.

Cheers,
Thomas

This article talks about pbmc and hbv.
It seems to me that after recovery from hbv viruses, they exist in the liver tissue so this story can affect fingernails.

Hi @Ryan,

I think detecting the virus DNA in these tissues is different from the virus affecting these tissues. There is no evidence (at least that I’ve seen) that there is any change in the function of the non-liver cells that contain HBV DNA nor any confirmation that it is a full functioning virus (as opposed to just fragments of the virus being cleaned up).

It is true that the virus is still present in the liver after viral clearance (loss of HBsAg) and it is likely still replicating to a very very low level (the fragments of which may be taken up by PBMCs). However, as far as we can tell, liver disease does not progress and there is no infection risk as the virus is neutralised in the serum very quickly by antibody.

Hope this clarifies things,

Thomas

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

Is there any connection between person who cleared hbv and future cancers? Such as blood cancer or pancreatitis?

Good morning, kindly interpret for me these results, like I told you I have known that I have hep for years but before they just tested at that was all but this time I took a step further after seeing some of my friends have results like these having ALT

Dear @esta.

It’s hard to know if the reference ranges for these tests are not shown, but it seems like the ALT levels are not elevated indicating no current liver inflammation.

Thomas

2 Likes

There are some slight increases in liver cancer risk even after clearance, when looking over large populations. I don’t think it is quite clear how much cleared HBV infection drives any other non-liver cancers.

Thomas

1 Like

I hope you are well dr.
I have some questions. Your responses are highly appreciated.

1. Sometimes I can feel a mild swollen lymph in my neck, can it be better time by time?
  2. Considering that I’m hbsag negative, and my body cleared hbv very fast shorter than 1 month, is it required for me to check my hbsag and hbsab routinely?
  3. considering now my hbsab is 1000, is it required for me to inject hbv vaccine for example 5 or 10 years later?
    Thank you so much.

Dear @ryan,

Thanks for your questions:

It is unclear what the reason for this is from your description. The answer depends on the underlying cause, which needs appropriate medical examination by your doctor.

Vaccination would be unnecessary unless your antibody levels go below 10 mIU/mL. Given this extremely high anti-surface antibody level, it is unlikely to wane to non-protective levels any time soon. This is a higher antibody level than many people have after vaccination, which we know is very protective. I think most doctors would not worry about continuing monitoring if your liver health is otherwise fine.

Thomas

1 Like

Greetings everyone I have HBV for almost 7 years now, I do check my liver every 3 months to be sure it healthy my friend who is a laboratory technician also tells me my liver is fine and he shows me results after the checkup.
My problem now is l have never visited any doctor because the liver is fine any time I check but I feel l have to speak to a doctor maybe am supposed to be on medication which am not because l never visited a doctor.please those in Ghana which hospital would you recommend I go to see a doctor. I stay at Accra(madina)
Thank you

Hi @Bea,
Thanks for your question. I will encourage you to reach out to the Hepatitis Foundation of Ghana and they will be able to help you find a provider in Accra or near Madina. I believe they have a doctor that works at the University hospital in Legon. Let me know if you needed any further assistance. Thanks, bansah1

1 Like

@Bansah1 l will check and let you know how it goes.thanks for your time :pray:

1 Like

Hello, I started a thread here a year ago. My results have been good for several years: ALT normal between 20 and 30. HBV DNA viral load between 200 and 500IU. You can see them in previous posts. I had a break from research during the pandemic. When I made them again in 2023, it was: ALT was 28 in March and the viral load was 1210 IU. In August 2023: ALT 38 and HBV DNA 1680IU. Now in 2024 I made the results and they look like this: ALT 44, HBV DNA 2320IU.

1. I’m worried about these results. The trend is upwards. I still have the impression that the Covid vaccination could have influenced this. Do you know such cases?

2. What about treatment? I’m from Poland, do you know what I can count on in terms of medicines? Is there any hope for life without medicine?

3. What about planning for children? Can taking medication affect the child’s development and wife’s health?

4. Is medication safe in long term and gives good results and hope for long healthy active life?

5. Is there any hope for cure?

I have taken care of myself all my life, I have lived a healthy life, and now I have my wings clipped. I feel like I’ve lost a lot of joy in life :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Best regards
Bart

Dear @BaRt,

Thanks for your update and great to hear that your results have been good.

Regarding your questions:

1. The difference between 1000 and 2000IU is not huge as the assay that is use to quantify this has an error of around 2 fold. Yes, it’s important to keep an eye on this, but this is not a significant change.

2. People live long lives without medication, but having the drugs when they are likely to benefit you can improve your chances of preventing ill health and liver cancer down the line.

3. There is no evidence that tenofovir will affect a child’s development. Entecavir is contraindicated for people who are likely to become pregnant.

4. Yes, many people (including myself) have taken antivirals for long term and continue to live long healthy and active lives.

5. Cures are under current investigation, see here for the current status of these:
    VIDEO: Community Information on the Progress Towards a Hepatitis B Cure

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like