INTRODUCTION THREAD: People affected by Hep B

Hi my name is Shanda and I live in the US. I was diagnosed with hep b when I was 17. I didn’t take it serious until the last few years. I’m currently not on any treatment but my numbers are starting to rise and depending on my numbers, I may need to start treatment in 3 months. I’m extremely scared. I do like wine and drink it a few times a week as well as smoke marijuana. I’m aware that this is all bad for my liver and I’m stopping with hopes this will lower my numbers. Thanks for having this forum where I can be honest about myself. I’m to embarrassed to have this conversation with anyone other than my husband.

1 Like

Hi Shanda,

Welcome to this community and I’m glad you found your way here. Please don’t worry yourself too much. Most people that go on treatment (if necessary) do very well with it and are able to lower their HBV DNA numbers; usually dramatically to undetectable, and then go on to live a pretty normal life while taking a pill daily for treatment.

You want to limit the toxins into your body as much as possible- as you already know, but as you can read on these forums, having a little alcohol here and there is not unheard of. I guess depending on how much liver damage you have, would determine how careful you need to be with toxins.

If you can get a hold of some of your past lab results (HBV DNA, ALT, AST, etc.) this would help the experts within this community to assess your situation better and thus give you more feedback based on your results.

Again, glad you found us and welcome to this community, which is now your community too.

-Paul

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: EXPLAINER: Lab results and their interpretation

Hi everyone,

I am new member here. I living with HBV since my first diagnose 2006. I never know about HBV until my father died of cirrhosis in 2006. Then, local doctor told all family member to test for HBV virus. non of my sibling got it except me. From that time I haven’t taken so much of my health as I was having little knowledge about it. only after 2013 I started gain weight a lot from 70 kg to 87 kg in a few year and I start feeling so much pain on the right side my rib. in 2015 , I decided to see doctor and they do blood test and ultrasound and found I got fatty live and active virus. I decided to start treatment with TAF since then until now. I am still on medication 1 pill a day. Now my health is normal. I hope I join this community and learn more thing about this virus and how to live health and happy life with HBV.

I do hope I will got a cure when all hard working doctor will find one. I also encourage every to live healthy and happy life.

1 Like

Hi Senhour (like President Eisenhower),

Welcome to Hepbcommunity, glad you made it aboard!

Sorry to hear about your dad passing. I can only imagine what it is like to have a loved one pass away from this disease. At least, it prompted your family to get checked and as unfortunate as it was to be the only one of your siblings to have it, at least you found out and were able to eventually get treatment and work on having a healthy lifestyle. You also have a positive mentality which will be helpful.

Again, welcome aboard,

-Paul

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Husband with acute Hepatitis B

Welcome to the community, @senhour. Glad you are doing better now and hope this forum will help you in staying healthy!

Cheers,
Thomas

Hi @ThomasTu

I always trying to find a good open place to discuss this virus. Unfortunately it is difficult to find one except paying to doctor visit. But the conversation was very limited. Most of my question can’t be asked due to I think their busy schedule.

I found this forum and it really give me a space to express and ask about anything related to the virus.

I wish everyone healthy and got a cure once the drug is found.

Thank

Hi @PuallyHBV

Thank for welcome messages. My condition is not seriouse but things has been little bit elevated like ferritin (732 ng/mL) level and total bilirubin (1.1 mg/dL). Everything else is normal. I am trying to get this number down as fast as I could by strictly control my diet. Hopefully I got everything back to normal.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi dear I’m also from Nigeria dealing with hbv, I’m sorry for your medical conditions, may God Almighty heal what’s sick in us. If there’s no problem i will like to have your contact as you might be of help to me being you a medical doctor.

Good day folks.

I am Swaliho M. Fofana from Liberia. In February 2022, I was tested positive with Hepatitis B Virus after several medical examinations performed in Liberia and Guinea. Before these tests, I had never heard about Hepatitis B Virus after those examinations, few family members and I harbored the mythical beliefs that someone in my Family who was trying to bring me down by using African witch.
After another test at the ELWA Hospital in Liberia, an other Doc took his time to detail me about HBV and its treatment plans and I was also told to control my diet. Since then, I have been placed on tenofovir treatment which is NOT 100% effective but it’s helping me a bit. Though I am on the drugs, I still feel pains in my body sometimes which last for a while and I also experienced burns in my legs. The burns in my legs has been occurring since my diagnosis was done.
I need everyone’s help especially for additional education on medication, diet control and food or nutritional supplements for my health.
Good to be here.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Swal459,

I don’t have answers for you as I am not an expert, but just wanted to let you know that one of the experts will respond as soon as they are available.

Until then, welcome and I encourage you to read and gain as much information from the forums as possible,

-Paul

2 Likes

Hi @Swal459,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Regarding your queries, there are several threads on these:

Please feel free to contribute in each if you have further questions.

Hope these help,
Thomas

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Having children and Hepatitis B

Thanks for your prompt response.

1 Like

Dear Julieta, you are going to be fine, I just discovered my illness 3 years ago after having lived 65 and only by chance, not even my PCP had suspected, I almost died of the blow I lost 10 pounds in 2 months my world collapsed I could not understand how no one had seen it before I didn’t even have the possibility of knowing if it was really when I was born because my mother had died and of 3 more brothers only me. I thought it was a death sentence and although it is hard if I could still live so many years Without knowing it and without special care, you will overcome it. I am sorry that you do not have insurance that covers the needs of keeping your health under surveillance, but my advice is to investigate in this country there are many nonprofit and charitable institutions that help a lot, you just have to search and you will also find some I don’t know if even studying and with a study visa you will be able to do a few hours of work that will allow you to acquire insurance or a medical plan. I do want you to know that when you feel bad, all the hospitals Itals have to receive you in an emergency and they have plans from zero payment to a tiny payment fee. I hope everything goes well for you and you are not alone and this is a great country you just have to seek help

1 Like

Hi swal459
Welcome to the forum.
You have said tenofovir isn’t helping you alot. Mark you, you need to take it for some time in order for you to have a good story to tell.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

I will stick to the medication :pill:. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Never feel embarrassed here, we are all here to support and try to help each other.

2 Likes