INTRODUCTION THREAD: People affected by Hep B

Dear Thomas,

Thanks for organizing this forum. Your bravery is am inspiration to all of us. I am hoping that we can continue to express ourselves and help find solutions to our collective problems.
I have just been diagnosed with a less than 10 hbv DNA and is expected to meet my doctor end of month for advice.
Wishing us all well in our collective search for answer.
Hope we find courage in our discussions.
Thanks.

8 Likes

Dear Pat,

Thanks for the kind words. I do not really feel brave, I am just privileged enough to be in a situation where I will not experience much discrimination for publicly announcing my status. I hope that all together we can build a world where everyone can live like this.

I hope all works out well with your recent diagnosis and know that there is a group of people here going through it with you!

TT

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am from Nigeria and my husband was recently diagnosed with chronic Hepatitis B and the news was devastating for us. My heart was literarily in my mouth while I was waiting for my own 3-panel test result in order to know my status. Thankfully I am negative but we haven’t test our children yet. I joined this forum in order to understand Hep B, find information that will calm my nerves and enable me to offer support to my husband as he’s trying to deal with the reality of Hep B: diet restriction, daily medication (He’s currently on Tenofovir DSF 300mg and Livolin tabs) etc.
I have encouraged him to join the forum but he’s not yet out of the woods emotionally.

Thanks Thomas and all the team at HEPBCONNECT for starting this forum and volunteering your time.

Cheers

13 Likes

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your experiences. Welcome to the forum!

I’m happy that you are in good health and that your husband is already on medication and being clinically monitored. Please let him know there is a community here that understands what he’s going through in terms of the emotional impact of being diagnosed.

TT

1 Like

Many Thanks Thomas for your response. You’re doing a wonderful work.
I’m currently convincing my husband to join your community; I have printed tons of resources for him from your site and hopefully he will register soon.

Best regard,

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Upcoming HBV treatments

Hi all, my name is Miriam and I am from Sydney, Australia. I am the partner of someone who lives with hep B, so I guess I am part of the affected community, although I am negative for hep B myself.

It has taken me a long time to understand the full impact of hepatitis B on my partner. I think when I first met him, I didn’t know much about hep B and it wasn’t a big deal for me that he was hep B positive. So it took me a while to understand everything he was going through.

I am also a student of public health and a moderator on this forum. Looking forward to interacting with all of you!

7 Likes

Thanks for joining the conversation, Miriam!

I think it can be hard for people with HBV to know how much it affects them themselves, so I guess it’s even harder as someone on the outside (particularly when it can be such an emotional and sensitive subject).

Welcome to the forum and glad to have your perspective on the discussions here.

TT

2 Likes

Hi everyone
My name is nancy and I was diagonised last week …I do not know how long I have had it …All I wish Is for a cure to be discovered

4 Likes

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to our community and well done for taking the brave steps to discuss your status with us. Many of us have been in the same position as you are now; you are not alone!

Regarding the cure, hundreds of very smart and hard-working scientists around the world are working on it. There is still work to be done, of course, but we’re closer than we have been before and your hope is in the process of becoming reality!

Thomas

12 Likes

Just found this website off of a mailing list. I found out I had CHB about 4 years ago. I m the only one in my family with it ( older brother and mother). Guessing I got it as a kid, maybe in the hospital back in Korea after an accident or maybe through a dentist or dr. Back in the 80s medical facility I was in were not clean. They probably reused needles to save money or something anyways it’s water under the bridge. Just glad my kids don’t have it and wife does not either.

I have good day ll and bad days. Some days I feel like I m afraid of dying from HCC, some other days, I m scared to go on treatment for life and my body rejecting the medication or medication not working anymore. Other days, I don’t even think about it. Recently for some reason, I been in a negative down spiral mentally because of my CHB.

Outside my family, none of my friends know. And I don’t know if I ll ever say I have hepatitis b to them. I m glad I found another outlet for my hepb. I m pretty much alone on this, except my mom.

No treatment so far and hoping to stay that way, god willing. Hopefully I ll be inactive carrier forever.

Thank you all for sharing your stories!

I live in the U.S.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Deciding when to start treatment

Welcome to our community, Johnny! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and hope you find support from this forum (for both good days and bad).

P.S. Hope it’s OK I moved the responses to a new thread to specifically discuss starting treatment (which is an important topic that I thought should be easily found by others).

1 Like

I’m really sorry I missed this post earlier, Nancy. I hope this community can support you through this time, as many of us have been in the same situation.

1 Like

Hi all-
My name is Su Wang. I’m so glad to see this forum.
I am living with hepatitis B and also practicing as an internal medicine physician in New Jersey, USA. I take care of a lot of HBV patients. I am also currently president of the World Hepatitis Alliance, a global NGO led by patients and dedicated to viral hepatitis elimination. #NOhep

Some background on me- I found out I had hepatitis B when I donated blood in college. I thought I got it from my mother through perinatal transmission (mother to child during childbirth) which is very common. My sister does not have it though.
However, it wasn’t until recently that we looked at my mothers test results and it turns out she does not have hepatitis B (her Hepatitis B Surface antigen is negative) and has never actually been infected (her HBcore Ab test is negative). My uncle who is a pathologist recently informed me that my grandparents who lived in Taiwan found out they had hepatitis B sometime when they were older. My grandfather was a dentist and my grandmother was a midwife and back when they practiced, healthcare was not following universal precautions (gloving etc) so they may have gotten it from their work.
I have worked as a primary care physician taking care of the Asian community in NYC & New Jersey area for more than 15 years and do a lot of work in the hepatitis B arena clinically and advocacy.
I believe strongly that peer groups like this are so important. As people w lived experience ,we can help support each other in ways our physicians cannot. It’s so important for us to be a part of a community, so we see we are not alone. We can learn so much from each other’s expertise and experiences. I can say without a doubt that I have been inspired and emboldened by others living w hepatitis B who have share the own stories. So just know, you may be doing the same for others!

A post was split to a new topic: Having children and Hepatitis B

Hi!

Good to have found this group in light of everything that I’ve been through these past couple of weeks. @ThomasTu, I’ve come across a couple of your articles and am pleased to see your contributions here. I just found out a couple weeks ago that I too am infected with CHB. Shocking part is - this diagnosis was first seen by an IVF doc here in the US who failed to bring it up whatsoever. And I serendipitously came across that result 2 years later and took initiative to get re-tested only to confirm the Dx.

Long story short, no lung damage as per ultrasound, just “probable mild steatosis”. I’m e-antigen negative and my DNA levels are 2020 IU/mL. ALT, AST, Protime, INR are all normal. Cholesterol is 174 with HDL @ 72, LDL @ 90, and Triglycerides @ 60. TSH and Iron are normal too. And so is my weight, 140 lbs at 5’7.5". I see a hepatologist next week who will also perform FibroScan.

I have no idea where I got infected but since I grew up in East Africa up until the age of 15, all HCPs I have talked to thus far suspect I’ve had it since a child especially since it’s highly prevalent in that part of the world. The worst that worries me is the stigma. I’m a 37 YO, single female, of South Asian origin that some day still wants to have a family. I even banked some eggs 2 years ago and now wonder if those are affected by it?! Plus the anxiety associated with telling a potential partner about it. I have had a great support of friends, family, and a therapist that are helping me through this tough time but I can only wonder and worry about opening up to a future partner about it and the possible rejection due to the Dx. Even the thought of it brings me to tears :frowning:

What I’ve also struggled with so far is lack of information on how this is going to change my day-to-day. One HCP I talked to said “don’t share scissors” and I thought to myself, “so does that mean I can’t get a haircut?!”. I mean, wth?! I keep hearing conflicting things (HCPs that failed to mention anything about it, to those that say don’t share scissors). Do people just don’t know enough about this in the US or am I just running into crummy HCP’s?

Sad, Mad, and Still looking for information…

3 Likes

Hi Marigold, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you’ll find some answers and much needed support! For everyone who is first diagnosed with HBV it comes as a huge shock. Most of us didn’t even know what hepatitis B is or what it means. The fact that your IVF doc didn’t tell you about the positive HBV test isn’t surprising. A lot of docs don’t really understand the HBV blood test results! Sometimes they think people are infected when they’re not, and vice versa. I’m quite impressed that you knew to post all of your lab results. Are you a doctor or healthcare professional? To my eye as a trained nurse, your blood tests look pretty good. Not sure whether you have what’s called e-antigen negative chronic hep B (aka precore mutant) since your viral levels are pretty low and your AST/ALT are within normal limits? Hopefully some other knowledgeable scientists/docs on the forum will weigh in. But since you’re going to see a hepatologist next week, you can ask him or her to clearly explain what kind of chronic HBV and what your lab tests mean. You will also want to find out IF you’re eligible for treatment and if so, whether it’s a good idea since you still want to get pregnant in the near future? You will also want to know if anyone else in your family has tested positive for HBV and/or has had liver disease such as cirrhosis or liver cancer? One other practical tip is to be sure to ask for copies of your blood test results and the fibroscan as well. It’s good to have documentation for your future reference.

As a nurse by training and having lived "knowingly"with chronic HBV for 32 years (I was diagnosed at 30 years and literally collapsed in the doctor’s office from the shock). So I definitely understand the different stages people go through when first diagnosed. The good news is that you have a strong support network of family, friends and a therapist. You’re way ahead of a lot of people who are first diagnosed. Dating with HBV is a tough topic, but I like to remind folks that we have a secret weapon in telling others - there’s an effective vaccine that can be taken. Not many other “STDs” have that to offer as an option. So once a relationship gets to the point that both folks have to share their “medical history,” there’s some relief to be able to tell your potential partner that there’s an effective vaccine, which confers more than 50% protection after the first dose, and combined with the use of condoms, there’s a lot of protection available until they can complete the 2 or 3-dose vaccine series.

Although technically I’m not a doctor or scientists, my educated guess about your banked eggs is that they’re going to be just fine. Chronic HBV is an infectious disease, not a genetic one. So when the lucky day happens and you have your eggs fertilized, the risk of HBV transmission will be at the time of delivery when there’s a huge gush of blood exchange between you and the newborn. Some infected pregnant women who have high viral loads (you would have to check with your hepatologist throughout the pregnancy) benefit from taking an antiviral drug (e.g. Tenofovir) in the last 3 months to reduce their viral load; thereby, reducing the risk of transmission at delivery. I have an entire response for women who are getting ready to deliver because you only have ONE chance to protect your newborn from getting an HBV infection, but I don’t want to overload you now. You may have already stopped reading?!

Finally, in terms of living your daily life with hep B, my very best advice is to use simple common sense. Hep B is transmitted through blood, unprotected sex, unsterile needles and drug paraphernalia, and from an infected mother to her newborn at delivery. So, you just want to follow good personal hygiene (cover cuts, dispose of menstrual pads and tampax appropriately, don’t share toothbrushes/razors, etc.), avoid drug use, and make sure your newborn receives the first dose of HBV vaccine and one dose HBIG immediately after delivery.

On a daily basis, you can share meals with others, cook for them, use the same bathrooms, and live as you normally would. There really are no special precautions or procedures you need to follow. Live your life with joy and love!! Just be mindful of your blood and follow safe sex practices until your partner is fully vaccinated.

Ok this is way too long and others may tell me to stop writing so much. But please feel free to ask any other specific questions. There are many others on this forum who can share what they’ve learned as well. Thanks for joining and listening. Hope to hear more from you!
Cheers, Joan

10 Likes

Dear Marigold,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I’m sorry about your interactions with the health system. Knowledge of HBV is definitely quite variable among health care workers and communication is not necessarily open.

Re: poor/conflicting advice, many of us here at Hep B Community have gone through similar situations (Joan has detailed her own first-hand experiences and has a lot of second-hand ones too in her role at HBF), so I hope you feel that you can call on the community to help you through it. Indeed, it’s part of the reason why I started this community up. Re: worries about stigma, we even have a thread about this here.

From your test results, you’re probably right on the cusp of eligibility for treatment according to guidelines, so that is something you might want to raise with your hepatologist.

Regarding the banked eggs, they will be fine in terms of HBV. As Joan correctly mentioned, the main risk would be transmitting HBV to the child during birth. There’s another thread here about what measures you can take to prevent that.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Hello all. Hep B, liver cancer survivor. Was on Truvada, but now on Vemlidy as of a couple years ago. Morose at birth. Woot!

2 Likes