Intimacy Issues

Hello,
I had posted back in November about being exposed to Hep B but recovered with no current infection. I am really scared/paranoid about getting intimate and all the time my mind is scared if I get anything else like Hep A/C or anything :frowning:

Dear @ZiiTR,

I see this as something that is part of starting a new relationship: making sure you are protecting one another and both getting STD checks prior to intimate activity, and/or using appropriate protection (such as condoms).These practices will empower you protect yourself and others.

Thomas

1 Like

Hi ZiiTR,
I do want to acknowledge your concern about being scared about intimacy. I believe anyone in your shoes will do the same and probably more. I bet it was not the experience you hoped for. If you are still with the lady, have an open conversation about how you are feeling. Especially, about how you wished she had been open with you and not assumed that you were vaccinated. Let her know about your distrust and discuss how to find a way forward to resolve it if you both want to do that. From your earlier post, I kind of get an idea or picture that you really like this lady. If it will put you at ease as Thomas suggested, you can use protection when being intimate. In addition, you two can get checked or tested for anything else that might concern you or both. Having an honest conversation with her about how you are really feeling is important. Try to understand where she is also coming from, do not be harsh, angry, judgmental or disrespectful of her. Give yourself sometime to process things and I believe things will get better overtime.

Do not let this incidence completely hold you back forever. Best, Bright.

2 Likes

I just met someone who I really like and I have many questions. She was born with HBV, has no cirrhosis of the liver, is antigen e positive and has a viral load of 100,000,000. My blood work shows I have never encountered the virus and have antibodies sufficient for immunity. We have been intimate a couple of times. Penetration has been protected but Iā€™ve almost certainly come into contact with her sexual fluids through a mucus membrane during foreplay. She had assured me her viral load has been monitored and her physicians tell her sheā€™s fine. But I asked her to show me her blood work she recently had which showed the high viral loads. The year prior they were somewhere around 58,000,000. Iā€™m concerned about transmissibility. My other problem is Iā€™ve spoken to 4 providers so far who canā€™t tell me very much as I live in USA in a rural area where itā€™s not seen often. I have many other questions and concerns, but will limit my comment to this for now. I need some information if at all possible. Iā€™m also very happy to have found your community. This is such a great thing and I wish everyone the best!

1 Like

Hi @DBuddha,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. Regarding your question, if your anti-HBs antibody levels are above 10mIU/mL then your chances of getting a chronic infection are very low given these circumstances.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Thomas, thank you for you reply. Can you say what the chances are of an acute infection under the circumstances?

1 Like

Dear @DBuddha,

Thanks for being patient, Iā€™ve been pretty flat out this week at work.

Regarding your question, I think itā€™s really hard to say because people are measured so infrequently for markers of an acute infection (anti-HBc) in these circumstances because itā€™s often asymptomatic. There is also immunological data showing that you can be exposed to HBV, have infection of your liver occur, and still be anti-HBc negative, given you are vaccinated and have high anti-HBs levels.

In any case, I personally wouldnā€™t be that worried about it and people with HBV often have children with their HBV-negative partners and they stay protected after vaccination.

Thomas

Hey, I appreciate you getting back to me. I really appreciate your dedication. Iā€™ll have more questions at anther time. Thereā€™s quite a lot to read on this forum. All the best-Daniel

Hi

There have been such amazing answers to this issue already, but I hope there is value in adding that people living with HBV have amazing relationships and families, and there are some really great good news stories. If this is useful, some research I was involved in documented some of the ways that people disclosed their HBV status. Its an academic article, so a bit dense, but you might want to have a read of this? It covers HIV, HCV as well as HBV but there are some comments specific to HBV. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/1467-9566.13316
It is behind a paywall but if you message me, Iā€™ll shoot you through the PDF if needed.

Cheers
Kerryn

2 Likes

Hi everyone

I need your advice, can I get infected with Hepatitis B if I insert my fingers into a woman vagina (assuming she is HBV+), and then involuntarily I pick my nose? Another question, is Hepatitis B infection possible? if I suck a womanā€™s breast and some breast milk drops comes out of her into my mouth?

Hey, I have a question. I am hepatitis B positive but my husband is hepatitis B negative. He has been vaccinated. Can we get intimated without condoms?

1 Like

Unless there is a break in the skin within your nose and the woman is menstruating, I would think that the risk in transmitting hepatitis B by this way is pretty low.

Drinking breast milk does not have much risk of transmission, and indeed guidelines suggest Hepatitis B-positive mothers should still breast-feed.

In both of the above cases, your chances of chronic infection are very much decreased if you are vaccinated.

Yes, if he is vaccinated and has a anti-HBs antibody level of more than 10 mIU/mL then the risk of transmission is negligible. Many people on this forum have had children with their HBV-negative partners without transmission.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

If it is to be done occasionally or we can practice without precautions daily?

Hi @anonymous36,

If you have confirmed antibody levels are high enough, the chance of transmission is negligible.

Thomas

Assuming itā€™s the eye you involuntary touch in this scenario, is the chance of transmission still negligible? @ThomasTu

Iā€™m not aware of any case of transmission through this route.

1 Like

Hello
Im new here, how to i post question here ? Thank you

1 Like

Hi, you have to interact with the forum a bit (like/reply to comments) and gain the trust level (youā€™ll get an email once thatā€™s accomplished) then after that, youā€™ll see the ā€œNew Topicā€ (screenshot below) option in the discussion board. It should happen relatively quickly :slight_smile:

2 Likes