If you are viral load 0

Just curious for any experts out there - as we all know this disease can make things weird sometimes socially when you want to have a few drinks.

if you’re on medication and your viral load is zero or undetectable - can you just go on as if you were a normal person - drink sometimes - in moderation at least? or are there still other factors at play?

1 Like

Not sure if it’s known why the rate of cancer goes up with alcohol consumption and hbv, so far it seems to be a correlation. I would play it on the safe side and forego it altogether.

Good question, @joseph.

Antivirals do lower your risk of liver cancer, but this can take years to completely take effect and they do not remove the risk completely.

The cancer risk is not due completely to your viral load, but also your fibrosis level.

I think that most doctors would recommend abstaining or minimising alcohol intake as much as possible.

That said, up until recently I still had the occasional beer (maybe 2 every 2-3 weeks). I have however started to avoid alcohol because I felt that I don’t bounce back as well the day after (old age getting to me… :)). I also have exercise early in the morning every second day, so I need to keep my body strong for that.

I’ve discovered new (actually decent tasting) non-alcoholic beer and that hits the spot when I do feel like it. I’ve never felt any shame or awkwardness ordering non-alcoholic beverages, but in the end I think there’s only one person who should care about what I drink (and that’s me).

I don’t know if any others on the forum have any strategies around this?

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

If I’m feeling like a beer, there’s amazing non alcoholic ones around that tastes just like a real beer. In the supermarket you can get a very low alcohol beer too. I know it’s not the same but it doesn’t harm the liver like full strength.
We want to be healthy…right?:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi Joseph,

I think Thomas has hit on the most important thing, the stage of liver disease you have, not your viral load.

Even with no detectable virus and normal ALT, your liver may still have fibrosis or cirrhosis. As with liver fibrosis and cirrhosis from any cause, your limitation on alcohol consumption should increase with the severity of your liver disease.

That being said, I don’t think that enjoying an special occasion with an alcoholic drink is a problem!

Cheers,

1 Like

I drink thing in my mind it taste so good and I like how the bottle looks.

How about cooking with wine? Is it safe to use, say, 1 cup of wine or even 1 bottle as in burgundy beef?

1 Like

I stop doing hookah after I was diagnosed it’s hard but it’s about our health.Short answer no it’s a very high risk.I feel you but our health comes first. I’m not an expert so this is my personal experience in a different way.:maple_leaf:

1 Like

My knowledge is the alcohol gets burnt up. I use wine in my cooking.
Good question.

2 Likes

This is my understanding too. I wouldn’t worry too much about the alcohol left after cooking.

Non Alcoholic beers…less than 0.5% ….

Sorry I love beer!! so I recently started drinking non alcoholic beer to stop/minimize alcohol…

Some of these beers have alcohol level less than 0.5% or between 0 and 0.5%…. Since there is some alcohol present, some people believe still not good for the liver…but it all depends on your liver condition…

I believe one non alcoholic drink (<0.5%) shouldn’t be bad!!

I would love to hear what ya’all think??

Thanks

2 Likes

Nass enjoy your one non-alcholic beer guilt and worry free!

2 Likes

Lol!!

@availlant … Appreciated your feedback!!
So far… Guinness 0.0 tastes great!!

Thnx

1 Like

Indeed, it’s interesting to note that our gut bacteria are producing alcohol constantly and the body/liver is very good at processing this in a way that is safe. It’s only when we overload these systems that there is liver damage.

TT

2 Likes