Hi all - if someone gets vaccinated against Hep B - are they 100% protected from the virus? Or is there a chance that they could still get infected even if they are immune and their titer count is above the protective levels?
Do we know if there are any reported sources of someone being fully protected, yet being infected with Hep B?
I read on HHS (Hepatitis B | HHS.gov) that “the hepatitis B vaccine gives 80% to 100% protection to people who get the vaccine.” so if I’m understanding this correctly, it’s not 100% protection and there’s still a possible 20% chance you could catch the virus?
That said, I’ve seen other sources note that the protection rate is higher (Hepatitis Vaccines - PAHO/WHO | Pan American Health Organization) - this source says 95-100% protections, and I believe the HepB.org site says it’s 100% protection.
All that said, I’m worried about that “80-100% stat”. I’m essentially just trying to learn how much protection I’ll truly have in a relationship with a S/O who is an inactive Hep B carrier (unsure about his current viral load but he’ll be getting tested).
If it helps any with protection rates, I’m currently being administered the Heplisav B vaccine - which, I just learned is pretty new, as of about 2017, so I will admit that makes me a bit nervous. I wonder if there’s enough research on the effectiveness of it?
The vaccines a pretty effective in protecting individuals that get vaccinated. I believe it is 95% or so effective. I have not heard of anyone getting the vaccine and getting hepatitis B virus. And I have been in the hepatitis community for some years now. Think of it this way, based on the information you shared about the 80% chance; will you get vaccinated or get hepatitis B? At 80% it is still effective. Don’t overwhelm yourself with this, please get vaccinated. I understand these informations can be confusing. The vaccines have been known around the world to be effective.
Just to expand on @Bansah1’s explanation, I believe the 80%-95% stat comes from 5-20% of people not responding to the vaccine (and therefore not getting protective levels of anti-HBs). As far as I know, people who get >10mIU/mL of antibody are protected against any exposure.
If people do not respond to the initial 3 dose course, they can always get boosters or additional courses to try to drive their antibody levels up.
Hope this clarifies things
Thank you for your response! Yes, I will absolutely continue on with getting the vaccine, my 2nd and final dose is in January and after I will wait to see if I became immune. It’s good and refreshing to hear that you’ve never heard of someone being vaccinated and still getting Hep B.
Thank you for your response! Thank you for clarifying. I completely misread the stat - I understood it as there’s an 80-100% chance you won’t get Hep B if you get the vaccine, not that 80-100% of people won’t respond to it. So that’s nice to hear!
So there’s never been a case of someone having >10MIU/mL and still becoming infected with Hep B?
Also, mine is a 2 dose course - have you heard of this particular vaccine before? It’s the Heplisav B vaccine. I got my first dose and need to wait 4 weeks after teh 1st dose to do the second then the series is over (and I’ll be waiting 1-2 months after the 2nd dose to check my titer levels). I really thought I’d be doing a 3 course vaccine but I was told that generally if you were vaccinated as a child (which I likely was since I was born in the US in '95 when it was at that point the norm to vaccinate babies) then there’s no need to do the 3 course again.
That is good to hear. I am glad you have already started the series. It will be done before you know it. All the best. Bansah1
I have not read any reports on this happening.
This appears to be an FDA-approved therapy and the course sounds right. I’m from Australia, so I haven’t heard of it before.