I was recently diagnosed and tested for Hepatitis B

Did you started using your medication because of your symptoms and coz of your high viral load??

I try getting another test to know the cause of my symptoms,the only thing there is my Typhoid high as 320 x4
After several treatments and getting better, I still feel sick :nauseated_face:
I had a HIV and HBV test done to be sure because of me being weak and tiredness plus abdominal pain and malaise that’s my symptoms… someone I know, a distance friend was diagnosed Bec he has high blood pressure…

Since I was positive,then I was told it’s possible to experience symptoms even with my viral load undetected as in some cases…
Then I was told to start the medication and to maintain it for a year !

Now it’s unclear, I am to do another test in 6 month after the first one to know wether it’s acute or chronic…
During this period,is it ok to be on medication even with my viral load low but symptomatic ? Plz answer if you know???

I believe the symptoms from then has been subdue although not fully and am still experiencing side effects from the lamivudine am taking,am considering changing it because I am having side effects !

I am still wondering what blood work to get done to identify my cuause of symptoms but since my symptoms been subdue,may it really is the one showing?

Hi My symptoms have subdued over few months and definitely better since I started the medications, although Im still dealing with fluctation in my AST and ALT .
the reason I started was mostly for High viral load and my doctor got me started in order not to further damage my liver ( apparently it happens if you have high viral loads ). again Im pretty new at this myself and I’m not a healthcare expert. I’m sure some expert like @availlant or @ThomasTu will get back to you .
best
Gregory

Hi @adeleke_afeez,
It is hard to say, because you had symptoms that were common with acute hepatitis B but what confound this whole thing is that you were dealing with typhoid at the same time. My guess is you have never been tested for hepatitis B before recently.

Sometimes, if providers suspect an acute infection and the patient has severe symptoms they at times put them on treatment to protect their liver and also lessen the symptoms. My guess is this might have been the case for you and that is why the doctor decided to put you on lamivudine. The test I suggested will tell whether your infection is chronic or acute. anti-HBc IgM and anti-HBc IgG. Overall, you have the virus, no immunity and you have low replication going on, undetectable viral load makes me believe this could be a chronic infection. We can surely answer this with the tese above.
Lets hope you can get in touch with the provider soon. Thanks, Bansah1.

1 Like

Which provider are you talking about?

That means i could safely continue taking my drugs??

And I suspect that, I see it while researching that 150mg of lamivudine Is much for hapatitis b instead 100 is better ?. Coz I am taking 150 and am dying of side effects already??

Is there anyone who have taken lamivudine here before,I am even experiencing a testicular pain

The “provider” refers to the doctor you saw that put you on the medication. I was suggesting that you let this doctor know about the side effects you are experiencing. Then you both can consider whether switching is helpful and possible. Like I mentioned, Lamivudine is not used as first line treatment option(s) in the US and other western countries. Thanks, Bansah1

1 Like

The test you talk about?.
Is it one or two coz you write two?
Are they going to give me one file for the test I ask for ?
Ok I will see the provider

Is it safe to start medication when I am feeling sick even if I don’t know wether it’s acute or not ? And before I do another 6 month interval test to indicate acute?

Should I just do the test(acute or chronic own) or wait for 6 month to do run another test and if positive Chronic and if negative good ,can I keep using the drugs in the interval?

It is two separate test. Talk to the doctor as he or she may be able to answer some of these questions. We are only going by the lab results you shared with us.

Ohh k the test is test for positive and negative?

No, they are to test whether you have an acute or chronic infection. The one ending in IgM if positive will mean you have an acute infection and the other ending in IgG if positive will indicate a chronic infection…

1 Like

Do you perhaps have a doctor or someone knowledgeable I can talk to here

Hi @adeleke_afeez,

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the community. Your results indicate a HBeAg-negative chronic infection.

As mentioned by others, you can change antivirals at any time and lamivudine isn’t generally recommended as a first-line therapy. These are generally safe drugs, and it can be dangerous to just stop them completely. It is important to get in touch with your doctor before changing or stopping your medications.

A physician directory for doctors with experience in hepatitis B management can be found here: Physician Directory (U.S. & International) » Hepatitis B Foundation. Otherwise you can get into contact with some Nigerian hepatitis advocacy bodies to see if they have a list for local doctors: Member listings - World Hepatitis Alliance. @Prince_Okinedo runs a whatsapp group for Nigerians too, they may be able to help: Hepatitis B in Nigeria: discussion thread

Regarding chronic vs. acute, the best way to determine this is seeing if you are still HBsAg positive 6-months after your initial diagnosis. If you are, then it is a chronic infection. So you have been informed correctly in this case.

It is also worthwhile to get your liver function test done and ultrasound to see if it indeed something going on with the Hep B that is causing your issues, or if it is something unrelated.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

3 Likes

Thanks you so much for sharing your knowledge with me
I will do a rerun after 6 month to know fully if it’s chronic or not but within the period,can I keep using my drug? Base on your idea, you said not having any antibodies may mean it’s chronic? even if it’s acute,Is it safe to use the drugs? So continue the drugs Is a batter option?
And Is 100 or 150mg of lamivudine better?
If I want to change to tenofovir, which mg can I go for?
Around the time I did the test,I had an an ultrasound and it indicates nothing spoil although I do it because I had an abdominal pain and I have it no more now after starting the antiviral I will have it done again but am hopping to go it around the
If I wanted to go 4 another test after 6 month,will I go for HbsAg or the full profiles?,can I do my lft at the 6 month too altogether with my second test?

Dear @adeleke_afeez,

The antivirals used in HBV are generally safe and indeed are a component of PrEP, which is taken by HIV-negative people to prevent transmission. You should continue to take the drug and dose as prescribed by your health professional.

If you raise antibodies to HBsAg (anti-HBs), this means it was an acute infection and you have cleared the infection.

The usual prescribed dosage for tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in HBV infection is 300mg daily tablet.

Generally the check-up after 6 months will be the whole panel including LFT to determine your status.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

You need complete credit

Hello everyone
I am really happy to meet with you guys. My name is Abraham from Africa. I get tested in October 2023 & my result showed I’m hep b positive.my doctor told me its not necessary to start medication unless he confirms whether it is acute or chronic & he appointed me to comeback after six months. I need clarification on 2 issues
1.During my diagnosis at oct’23 my doctor told me that my ultrasound test shows some liver inflammation & he ignored it.Why ?(i can attach the picture if any one can read it)
2.currently i have a pain under the ribs of right upper abdomen part.do i need to start the medication before it get worse ?

Welcome @Abraham

Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing your story.
I’m not a health expert, but do you know a bit as you said the doctor is waiting to see whether you are in acute stage , meaning you will clear the virus and not need medication or chronic, Meaning it’s not gonna go away, before he wants you to start medication.
One of our health experts will be able to help you further. They shouldn’t be too long.
Blessings

Dear @Abraham,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your questions.

This may have been part of the initial diagnosis of acute hep B infection, which is commonly linked with liver inflammation. This is your body’s way of trying to clear the virus infection.

If this continues or becomes unbearable, indeed you should go to your doctor and get their advice about it.

1 Like

Thank you for your swift response. I wish long live for all you guys.

1 Like