We are now looking for additional board members for HBVA. We look forward to people applying for this great initiative and help us amplify the voices of the affected community in Australia. Feel free to ask any questions about this position in this thread.
Please see below for details:
Hepatitis B VOICES AUSTRALIA Board Member - Expression of Interest
Position Title: Board Member
Tenure: 2 years plus eligibility for re-election.
Remuneration: Unpaid. Small funds available for annual Board professional development.
About Hepatitis B Voices Australia
Hepatitis B Voices Australia is an independent, non-for-profit community led organisation that supports, represents and advocates for the health and well-being of people affected by hepatitis B in Australia. Hepatitis B Voices Australia launched in November 2022, and we are a ‘for community, by community’ wholly led by people affected by hepatitis B.
The voices of people living with hepatitis B will be central in the response to hepatitis B and eliminating its impacts.
We amplify the voices of the affected community to eliminate the impacts of hepatitis B.
Our operations include advocacy and policy development, research and training, community engagement and support as well as consultancy.
The Board is responsible for overseeing and providing strategic direction to the organisation in accordance with Hepatitis B Voices Australia constitution, charter and the law. These include oversight of organisational operations, development strategic vision and objectives, legal and financial accountability, fundraising, advocacy, governance and risk management. Board members collectively bring diverse lived experiences and expertise and independence to provide sound and authentic governance. Board members exhibit Hepatitis B Voices Australia’s values and ethos to ensure the organisation prospers and fulfills its objectives.
- Commitment to Hepatitis B Voices Australia’s vision, purpose and values.
- Act in the best interest of Hepatitis B Voices Australia irrespective of personal or professional interests or affiliations and in compliance with its Code of Conduct, laws and policies.
- Declare and manage any conflict of interest in a timely manner.
- Understand the Board’s roles, responsibilities, performance and financial and legal obligations to be able to actively contribute to the Board and organisation to meet its Strategic goals.
- Contribute to the development of organisational governance and policies.
- Contribute to organisational Strategic planning, relevant subcommittees and execution of various tasks.
- Communicate in a transparent, professional and respectful manner with the rest of the Board, stakeholders and communities.
- Adequately prepare for meetings, including reading meeting papers prior to all meetings and contribute to meeting discussions.
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Uphold strict confidentiality with respect to all Hepatitis B Voices Australia matters considered by the Board.
- Commitment to serve a minimum two-year term [term can be extended]
- Comply with Director’s legal duties and legislations set by The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission, The Australian Securities and Investments Commission and other relevant legislations.
Hepatitis B Voices Australia invites expression of interest from individuals who are interested in contributing as a volunteer Board member and who meet the following skills and attributes:
- Lived experience of hepatitis B or from communities affected by hepatitis B [essential]
- University level qualifications and/or equivalent experience
- Experience and expertise in one (or more) of the following areas:
- Not-for-profit Board governance including Strategic leadership and risk management [desirable but not essential]
Financial literacy – knowledge and experience in organisational financial reporting (including Cash Flow statements, Balance Sheets) and other relevant financial metrics
Donor and fundraising strategies
Media and communications engagement
Willingness to undertake all relevant on-boarding screening checks including a police check and working with children check.
Hepatitis B Voices Australia’s Board meets monthly (except December) for approximately 1.5 hours in the evenings via online conferencing.
- All Board members are required to participate in relevant Board committee(s) meetings as required.
How to apply
Join a passionate and dedicated team and contribute to improving the lives of communities impacted by hepatitis B. Please send your resume and a one-page cover letter addressing the selection criteria to Nafisa Yussf, Board Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Sunday 28th May 2023.
Short listed candidates will be interviewed by the Board.
How will I be supported if I am successful?
The Board Chair will individually meet with you to brief you on Hepatitis B Voices Australia’s Strategic Plan. You will be provided with a support person from the Board from existing Directors to support your integration in the first 3 months.
Thank you for your interest in Hepatitis B Voices Australia. For further information, please visit https://www.hepbvoices.au.