Hepatitis B and fatigue

Hi,
My name is Lavinia and I am 31 years old. I found that I have hepatitis B 5 years ago, after a surgery error. I think it is much older, maybe 15 years, according to some blood tests I took in the past, when my transaminases were a little bit high and I wasn’t tested for it. I also took the hepatitis B vaccine in school, 14 years ago, when I didn’ t know about the disease and I am still infected. I began my terapy with Entecavir, 2 and a half years ago. I deal every day with an exhausting fatigue. I have 40 kg and can’t gain weight, my blood tests look normal, only my AgHbS quantitative is high, 36100 UI/ml. I don’t know what to do about it. I tried to drink hipercaloric alimentation, feels better, but my gastroenterologist said that it 's too concentrated and it can’t be drinked every day. I eat mosltly vegetables, fruits and poultry meat.
I put here the link for the hipercaloric alimentation I took https://magazin-bbraun.ro/img/cms/3571732-RO-Compozitie_Nutricomp%20Hepa%20500ml.pdf. Can you tell me what do you think about it and how do you deal with fatigue? It’s Vemlidy better than Entecavir?
Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Hi Lavinia,

Thanks for your question and sorry to hear about your experiences.

Both entecavir and vemlidy are similar in terms of antiviral activity. Both are quite safe and do not often cause side effects.

I am not sure about the reason behind your severe fatigue and weight loss. It is very difficult to know what is going on just over the internet, but these symptoms are usually not linked to Hep B or the antiviral medication. I would suggest that you try to look at other possible causes and that will allow you to manage the effects more efficiently.

Regarding management of your hep B, at the moment there are no ways to lower HBsAg, but the most important thing is maintaining monitoring and taking your medication as suggested by your gastroenterologist. The medication will lower your viral load (HBV DNA) and lower your risk of liver disease and liver cancer.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your answer. As you saw, I posted the message again on General discussion, because I wasn’t sure where I can post it the first time. I’m new in this platform. I appreciate your work and the fact that you created this platform for us. It helps.
All the best,
Lavinia

1 Like

Hi @ThomasTu and @Lavinia,

@Lavinia mentioned she was vaccinated in school 14 years ago. Shouldn’t that have prevented transmission? Maybe @Lavinia did not complete the 3 doses because guidelines were different 14 years ago.

Please share thoughts. Thank you.

If the exposure was more than 14 years ago, then the vaccination could not have prevented transmission. @Lavinia is about the same age as me; when she was born universal HBV birth vaccination was not around. She was probably like me and got a catch-up vaccination in high school, which wouldn’t have done much if the infection occurred much earlier in life.

Thomas

1 Like

Hi Thomas and Hopefulone,

I did complete 3 doses of Engerix, the vaccine they gave us in high school to prevent hepatitis B. I’m sure about that.

2 Likes