Hep b and red peppers

From experience, I know majority of Hep b community members are great readers of any sort of literature that touch on hep b. A lot has been written on the effects of the consumption of red peppers and liver desease.
Expertise information can only be accurately shared here and would be glad be informed.
Kinoti

Dear @Kinoti,

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the relationship of red peppers with HBV. It is not a topic I’ve ever seen in the scientific literature, but it is also not an area I follow closely.

This touches on 2 things:

First, anything that helps support liver health is likely to be either helpful or at least not harmful for people suffering from HBV infection. So for example, drinking in moderation or not at all, making sure not to take an accidental overdose of acetaminophen (Tylenol), etc. are just in general good things to do.

Second, use of foods, plant extracts, etc. to treat diseases has an incredibly long history, going back to the dawn of mankind. Scientifically, they are referred to as “natural product” therapies. They can have helpful effects, but efficacy is often highly variable because the source of the active compounds in the natural product (red peppers in this case) is hard to standardized (what types of peppers, how fresh, etc), and how they are prepared can have huge impacts (raw? cooked? extracted with hot water?..). The USA National Institutes of Health has an entire division focusing on testing and improving natural products. An example success story in natural products research is the powerful anticancer drug tamoxifen was originally isolated from tree bark.

A final word of caution about using natural products that have not been tested scientifically–they can be dangerous at times. In the USA a lot of people take various additives for health benefits, such as St. Johns Wort or fish oil. However, the industry for such products is unregulated and the products are not event tested for safety, so sometimes the products sold don’t actually contain what they say is in them, and sometimes they have dangerous chemicals in them.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

John

6 Likes

Hi John.
Hi @john.I am extremely happy to read your response with understanding and I am able to approach natural remedies with caution. In my country, we have a lot of natural cures(called herbal medicines) on promotion. Majority come from USA and China. They are damnly expensive and claim to remedy all chronic condition’s ie diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, heart conditions etc.
Feel appreciated.
Kinoti

3 Likes

Am just flattered with your reply. I usually read constructive criticism from professors or colleagues at work but @john.tavis sounds so nicer. I couldn’t have come up with such a clear and concise explanation. Expert :sob: Sometimes i just read your replies to write like you :smiling_face_with_tear:. Big Fan Here.

2 Likes

Hi @Daniel_Agbolozo,

Welcome to posting at the HepBcommunity! I really like this forum and am delighted that @ThomasTu started and maintains it. I think it is filling a big need.

John.

6 Likes

Both of you guys are Awesome! Always grateful for this place @ThomasTu and the Lovely people in this Forum. Am always learning and excited when I read conversations on this Forum. Thank you and I appreciate what you guys do for the community. @Kinoti Sorry for hijacking your thread a little :innocent:

2 Likes

Hi Daniel_Agbolozo
I am delighted to read your sentiments. This forum is for us all and your appreciations to @john.tavis through this thread is welcome. It is our thread not my thread.
Kinoti.

2 Likes

Does kimchi or gim chi (in Korean pronunciation) count as eating red peppers. Lol