Help me please with tenofovir in us

hi all :wave:t2:

I want to visit the USA, but I’m from Ukraine, I have hep b, and I’ve been using tenofovir for a couple of years, what problems might there be with buying it and how much does it cost? sorry for translation, and thank you guys

Sorry about that. It costs a lot if you don’t have an insurance especially if the Brand is Vemlidy. However, if you want a cheaper one, try entecavir. But everything is depends on the type of prescription you have.

Hi @big_po
The price is depend on pharmacy and what type of insurance that you have. It may cost you from $675 to $3,000 for 90 days supply without insurance. But you can use GoodRx coupon at Walmart pharmacy for only $46.64 for 90 days supply and this price will be up and down from time to time. I’m on Tenofovir too and my insurance covers the cost for the first 3 quarters and I have to 25% of the price which is $175 on the last quarter, so I called the pharmacy and told them that I like to use GoodRx coupon and then after that I switched back to my insurance on the beginning of the year.
GoodRx app is free to anyone. You should call the pharmacy to make sure they are accepting the coupon before you ask your doctor send prescription to them. CVS and Target pharmacy also accept GoodRx coupon and the price is $35.91.
I hope it help.

thank you @Dauphin50
but for the first time (while I’m flying) they will provide me with insurance, will I be able to buy tenafovir without a doctor’s prescription?

I just found out and I won’t have any insurance, how many times can I use the coupon? and can I do this without a doctor’s prescription? I don’t need tenofovir, an analogue is also possible, the main thing is TDF 300 mg

thank you @Larry I just found out and I won’t have any insurance, how many times can I use the coupon? and can I do this without a doctor’s prescription? I don’t need tenofovir, an analogue is also possible, the main thing is TDF 300 mg

@Dauphin50 what u think about this? Medications Details | Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company

You can use GoodRx coupon without any insurance as long as the pharmacy accepts the coupon. In the US and for the TDF 300mg or other Hepb antivirals you have to have a prescription from the doctor. The price that I talked is TDF 300mg.
I don’t know about CostPlus and you can try it, but for 90 days supply at CostPlus still the same as GoodRx at CVS and Target.

How long are you visiting for? I wonder why you wouldn’t bring a supply with you?
Denny

thank u @Denny
How many packages can I take with me? I thought there was a problem with this, because in Poland I can take 5 packages (from Ukraine), but in the USA how much can I take? can you please advise

thank you @Dauphin50

How many times a year can I use the coupon ?

Hello @big_po, you can bring as many/packages you need, no limitations on your own medication as far as I know. You don’t need to stress about the cost of Tenofovir, it is generic. It will always be no more than $30, coupons can be easily found online. You do need to find a doctor for the prescription.

Safe Travels!

1 Like

Sorry…I’m in Canada so not sure what their laws allow… I can’t see why they’d give anyone a hard time unless they thought you were trafficking them? SHOULDN’T be any different than bringing Aspirin into another country?
Denny

1 Like

Hi @big_po, as far I know there is no limit that how many times you can use the coupon in a year.

big thanks @LiveWell !
What problems might there be with getting a prescription if I don’t have insurance and I’m from Ukraine? Will I be able to make an online appointment with a doctor and he can fill the prescription?

Man, you should bring enough with you for the trip and avoid going through the hoops when you get to your destination.

Hi and welcome to the community, in the USA. you can access Antivirals like TDF ( Viread) on line with Mark cuban farmacy and it will cost ,not sure but probably $12.00 or less. please anybody correct me if Im wrong.
best Gregory

Hi @big_po,
Welcome to the platform. It depends on the pharmacy. If you are able to check GoodRx.com and you will get the range of prices from the pharmacies here in the US (generic version with a coupon starting at $26 and up). Yes, you will need a prescription for this medicine. If this medication is available in Ukraine, I will suggest bring extra supply to last you some few months. This will help so you do not run out why you find the best way of getting a refill. I hope this helps. Bansah1

@Bansah1 What problems might there be with getting a prescription if I don’t have insurance and I’m from Ukraine? Will I be able to make an online appointment with a doctor and he can fill the prescription?

thank @LiveWell What problems might there be with getting a prescription if I don’t have insurance and I’m from Ukraine? Will I be able to make an online appointment with a doctor and he can fill the prescription?