Hbsag count interpretation

Hello!

I did the HBSAG count today and the result is nearly 800 IU/mL. 12 months ago was 5500 S/CO. I have been taking Tenofovir daily for more than one year.

I don’t know if this is okay or more should have come down

Hi Aleske
For me, since your viral load is coming down, I think you are doing fine and nothing should worry you.
Kinoti

1 Like

HI Aleksi12,

You first test done 12 months ago was a qualitative test (reported as Signal / Cut Off). This test does not tell you how much HBsAg is in your blood, just if you have it in you blood or not.

The second result from Sept 7 2022 is a quantitative test (reported as International Units / mL) and does tell you how much HBsAg you have.

You cannot compare the two results. Its normal for HBsAg to not be affected by TDF as this drug does not affect the production of non-infectious subviral particles which comprise > 99.99% if circulating HBsAg.

As Kinoti has said, your response to TDF is measured by decline in your HBV DNA, which is a marker of viral replication.

Best regards,

2 Likes

Hello Kinoti.

How do you understand that my viral load is going down?

Thank you

1 Like

Sounds so professional explained!

1 Like

Hi Kinoti,

The only way to measure your response to TDF is to look at HBV DNA levels overtime. This cannot be determined by looking at HBsAg.

You can get a sense of your response to TDF by looking at serial HBV DNA test resuts since you started TDF. Without understanding the decline in HBV DNA or not following TDF it is not possible to comment on your response to TDF.

Best regards

Hello availlant.

I am very clear with your explanation.

First and last time of my HBV DNA test was 1 year ago. At that time my viral load was 9,540 IU.

I will do the HBV DNA test next month.
Here in my country it is very costly 200 USD and it is done only privately.

Please what is the reason of Hbsag count test that doctor given to me?

Hi all!

My Hbsag quantitative level on Sep. 2022 was 795.

Now on March 2023 Hbsag quantitative level is 803.

Please does it mean that my medication is not working?

Should I change Tenofovir brand from Abdiibrahim Pharma which I have been using to Viread etc?

Thank you

Dear @Aleksi12 ,

Your medication (TDF) works to suppress the production of infectious virus. This effect is measured by looking at the levels of HBV DNA in the blood. TDF is very effective for controlling HBV replication, restoring normal liver function, and also for preventing the progression of liver disease.

On the other hand, HBsAg is produced almost entirely by mechanisms which are independent from viral replication. TDF has very little impact on HBsAg so your results are normal and do not mean that your medication is not working. Please do not consider switching your medication and instead consult your HBV DNA test results (these should be part of the tests your doctor conducts to monitor your response to TDF).

Best regards,

2 Likes

Hello availlat.

My HBVDNA is undetected.

Also have attached my liver blood tests made few days ago.

Cheers

5 Likes

Hi @Aleksi12 ,

This is great news, your TDF therapy is working well!

Best regards,

2 Likes