Fibroscan and biopsy

I have always wondered about different tests that are used to test the same thing. Take for example, fibroscan and biopsy in measuring fibrosis.
Do we have an experience where conflicting results are arrived at ie. fibroscan categorising one on mild fibrosis while biopsy says he/she has cirrhosis?
Let’s share our knowledge and experiences to narture our understanding.
Kinoti

3 Likes

Usually fibroscan is the best/quickest way to measure fibrosis and ultrasound is to detect any masses in the liver. Biopsy is done less regularly because it requires more work and it is an invasive procedure. Biopsy however is best as showing the true result because you get to actually see the tissue, rather than measure it through indirect means.

2 Likes

How often should a fibroscan be done?

I’ve only ever had one, my doctor now repeats an ultrasound twice a year but no fibroscan or elastography.

1 Like

In the past, I had it at the same consult as my ultrasound, but I think this varies from place to place.

TT

@ThomasTu and other with experience - please help me understand my Fibroscan result. The OVERALL result is goof 4 kPA but 10 measurments were taken and the first three were horrifyingly high - 29 kPA, 20 kPA, and 12,9 kPA, the next 7 measurements were 4 kPa (some slightly lower)… My doctor said it is the median that counts - in my case 4 kPA - and I should not be worried about the first three results, but I am… My previous fibroscans were consistent in that all the measurements where around the same ranging a bit but nowhere near 12 or let alone 29 kPa! Is this really nothing to worry about?

Hi @Natti,

With fibroscans, it’s my understanding that you take an average of 10 measurements as long as they are reproducible values. If you put the probe in the wrong spot, it can give the wrong readings (e.g. if it is aimed towards a bone or something). The doctor’s advice seems reasonable.

Thomas

2 Likes

Thank you!
It is just she did not move the device at all and it returned those values without changing the position… Or maybe it was such a small adjustment that I did not notice. I guess the only thing I can do is wait for the next one to see if this is confirmed…

1 Like

HI @Albasil808

I usually do it (FibroScan) twice a year. normally during my regular blood test. For the past 5 year I always got F0-F1 result.

3 Likes