EXPLAINER: Lab results and their interpretation

Hi @Intime009,

The problem with acute HBV infection is that most people pass through this phase without realizing something is wrong and then find out many years later that they have chronic HBV.

People with HBeAg+ HBV infection are generally considered to be earlier in the natural history of HBV infection (although this is not a hard and fast rule) in these patients HBsAg can be greater than 125,000 IU/mL (this is the limit of the quantitative assay in an undiluted blood sample).

So it is possible that HBsAg levels can be this high during acute infection but there really is no good data on this.

Best regards,

1 Like

@availlant Thank you for your insights.

1 Like

Hi @availlant is there any data for reference or understanding about the timeline of HBeAg turning negative of chronic adult horizontal transmission. My infection is probably 3 half years old. Still HBeAg positive as of may 23. The result value was 5.261 on (11/5/24) last year it was 724.831 (29/7/22) i am on meds.
Thanks.

Hello,
I need assistance in interpreting my initial blood tests results while I wait for my initial appointment.
Hep B Surface Ag-Reactive
Hep B C IgM-Non-Reactive
Hep B Core Antibody, Total-Reactive
Hep B Surface Antibody Qual/Quant-Negative (Value 3)

Hi @12345678 ,

HBeAg status does not follow any well defined timing as far as I am aware. It is only used as a general marker for staging the phases of chronic HBV infection.

Best regards,

1 Like

Dear @jdd1982,

Welcome to the forum and thankyou for sharing your test results. These results are consistent with a chronic HBV infection, but should be confirmed and followed up with additional blood tests.

Thomas

1 Like

Most recent DNA results came in
Hep B viral DNA 198 IU/ml
Log is 2.30
Is this a good prognosis?

Dear @jdd1982,

A low HBV DNA load such as yours is usually considered a good sign and is generally linked to lower liver disease progression. You should also get an idea of your liver health using a fibroscan or similar to get a better idea of whether liver damage has occurred in the past and is still present.

Thomas

I am actively infectious with Hep B after the first following lab results:

HEP B SURFACE ANTIGEN qualitative serum, positive
HEP B CORE ANTIBODY qualitative serum, positive
HEP B CORE ANTIBODY IGM qualitative serum, negative
HEP B SURFACE AB qualitative serum, negative

At first, I was convinced that this was from taking high levels of Biotin supplements from nootropics so I completed more labs after halting supplements.

HEP B SURFACE ANTIGEN, reactive
HEP B CORE ANTIBODY, reactive
HEP B SURFACE AB, Nonreactive

After my general medicine physician relayed my liver labs are normal but put in orders for a CT abdominal scan, I have scheduled next Friday and a GI Consult for mid-August next month. I am grateful for any advice on how long it can take to build antibodies that would show in labs. I also would like to know if I should request any additional treatments. I do have symptoms but am unsure if they are related to my mental state.

2022,10,01 I got sick for 3 days with fever and thought it was Covid related, but now I question if it was when I might have become infective with symptoms that haven’t completely lessoned like joint pain, and nausea.
I cannot find any prior negative HEP B SURFACE ANTIGEN labs.
I was Adopted from S. Korea
No biological family history
Have had regular tattoo sessions for multiple years.
I joined the military from 1998 to 2018 and had the full Hep B vaccine in 2004 but had tests with undetectable antibody levels in 2013,2019.
My wife and only long-term sexual partner (we have stopped sex but were active without protection)
Wife HEP B Labs
06/19/2023
HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIGEN, nonreactive
HEPATITIS B CORE ANTIBODY (IGM), nonreactive

I’m having a hard time understanding how and when I got it, coming to terms with it. In that vein is there a specific test that would be conclusive that I can ask for. I appreciate everything in finding this site.

Hi MSG,
I want to welcome you to the platform and also for sharing your experience with us all. I am not sure if you are aware of this but hepatitis B is endemic in certain geographical areas such as in Africa, Pacific Islands and Asia (where South Korea is). It is very likely that you contracted this virus at birth. There are patients adopted from some countries in Asia who find out later in life about their HBV status. This is becoming more common. It is good you know about it now and getting more testing done. Not everyone will require treatment, but it is very important to be monitored at all times. I think a lot of employers only check for antibodies and not for antigens. Like you I also received all my shots in the series, but that did not do anything because I already had the virus but they did not check that. The military does the same as every employer in the US, they only check for antibodies and then vaccinate without checking if one has the virus already. Something that needs to change.

Please, try and stay calm if you can. You will get through this. One of our experts will respond to your lab results. Be rest assured that they will respond.

1 Like

Hi @MSG,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. As you mention, your lab results are consistent with a current chronic HBV infection. As mentioned by @Bansah1, the initial infection may have occurred many years prior without physical symptoms. There aren’t any tests you can do now to tell you when you were actually exposed.

In the end, I would suggest that it doesn’t matter that much, it’s about what you do with this information today. It’s really positive that you are getting additional follow up tests (including CT to determine your current liver health). This will help you and your doctor know what kind of treatments (if any) are required.

In the meantime, your wife’s results suggest that she is not infected. To see if she has been exposed in the past, she should get a HEP B CORE ANTIBODY test too. To see if she is already protected, she should get a test for HEP B SURFACE AB. If not, the best practice would be to get a course of the HBV vaccine so that she is protected.

Hope this helps and please keep us updated,
Thomas

Thanks again. I just received another result. Hep B E Ag reactive. Does this mean I have the antibody?

I assumed my wife has not had Hep B exposure with a HEPATITIS B CORE ANTIBODY (IGM), nonreactive. Is the IGM different?

Not at but Ab. The result is Hep BE Ab Antibody reactive.

1 Like

anti-HBc IgM develops within a few weeks of exposure, but then goes away after a few months (i.e., becomes non-reactive).
Total anti-HBc levels are maintained for years after the initial infection.

Hi @jdd1982,

If your anti-HBe antibodies are detectable, then your results are consistent with you being in an “inactive carrier” phase, which is associated with less liver disease. It is still important to maintain monitoring and also find out your current liver health (e.g., with a fibroscan to measure any past liver injury)

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Am Ahmed from Ghana. Was diagnosed with chronic hep b but the doctor told me it’s non infectious. Upon running some labs he suggest I shouldn’t be on antiviral drugs. I plan to continue my education in Canada but fear this will be a hindrance.

Attached is my lab report. All advices are welcomed.

Hi @ Med,
Welcome to the platform and feel free to take some time to read/browse through some of the discussions on here. There is not enough information from your test results to provide a complete picture of your case. If you have the results for hep B surface antigen and antibody it will be helpful. The test shows that your ALT and AST are tiny bit elevated and your HBV DNA is low. If you can share those test results or get them completed it will help provide a good picture of what is going on with your situation.

Concerning your move to Canada, I am not sure they will deny you a visa because of hepatitis B given that this virus is not communicable. You can try and research this or maybe someone with information on this subject can share. Best, Bansah1.

Thanks will go for the recommended further test

Dear @Med,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question. While your HBV DNA levels are relatively low, any detectable levels can lead to transmission. The risk of transmission is lower the lower your levels.

You should maintain monitoring, as continually elevated ALTs would be an argument for treatment. Also, you should check your liver with a fibroscan or similar, to see if your liver is healthy or has been injured in the past.

Regarding your move to Canada, there are a few living and studying in Canada on these forums (see, Should I give up my nursing study? and Interruption in antiviral treatment after moving country). Some have moved from overseas to Canada successfully. Feel free to ask questions in those threads.

Cheers,
Thomas

@availlant or @ThomasTu or any other scientist, do we have compelling researches out there that recomend treatment even with less than CHBV DNA 1000. Are the bbenefits huge in relation to reducing HCC? I have been digging with little success. I have seen that @ThomasTu in most of his responses vouches for starting early as long as one is in consensus with his or her doctor?..there must be a rational reason and not luck?