EXPLAINER: Lab results and their interpretation

Hello Dr PL
Thanks for the questions:
Here are the answers:
I grow up in the States but from Somalia…
I’m 43 yr old: 195ib, not fat! But BMI 25;
I believe I had family relative that died of hep b related diseases.

In short, here is my numbers:
Hep B positive, E antigen negative, anti hbe positive;
All liver enzymes normal but ALT elevated, fluctuates between 45-57
AFP 16 , normal range 0-6.9; this makes me panic: not sure what is causing thuds elevation;
My hbv viral load is 6230iu/ml;

Doctor ordered Fibrosure test to detect fibrosis and inflammation:
Results no fibrosis; minimum inflammation:
Please see my earlier posts about the fibrosure results and normal ranges:

Regardless : I would like to start treatment and plan to see 2nd doctor later this month:

Additional info: married with 5 children, my wife has no hep b per her last prenatal tests: will do other tests soon; children vaccinated. I did not know I had it since I decided to get tested for both C and B because my mom had hep C, but she is now cured!!.

Looking forward to your recommendations and thank you for your valued time…

1 Like

Thanks. Happy to donate for this cause!!
Done it per your instructions!

1 Like

Thank you Thomas , my father got his Viral load test , it is greater than 50000. My mother started her vaccination series. Can you please let me what does this test mean . It looks like it’s too high , what ca he do now. Also does it indicate how infectious he is .
Does hep b spread through saliva
HbeAg - 6.7
Hbv viral load > 50000 out/ml
Hbv viral copies > 4,10,000 copies/ml

Please let us know

Thank you so much, @Nass. Any and all support is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Thomas

2 Likes

Dear @sajdale,

Thanks for following up:

The tests means there is a relatively high amount of virus in your father’s blood and this means there is a relative high risk in transmission IF there is blood to blood contact. The virus does not spread through saliva.

Viral load can be reduced using antiviral treatment (ETV, TDF, or TAF).

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

It looks like phase 4 of the natural history of HBV: HBeAg negative CHB. Antiviral therapy is indicated

Regards

Pietro Lampertico

Prof. Pietro Lampertico, MD, PhD

Full Professor of Gastroenterology

Head of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Division

Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico

University of Milan

Via Francesco Sforza 35

20122- Milan

Italy

Phone +390255035432

Fax +390250320410

Email pietro.lampertico@unimi.it

signature.jpg

~WRD0000.jpg

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. Hbeag neg CHB is the bad one… I guess… I hoped that I was in the clearance phase or to be inactive…will soon see hep doctor to determine best treatment and duration.
I m glad no liver disease yet.

What treatment would you recommended?
and what is rate that this can be treated and eventually cured?

Is this the type with precore? Mutant?

Kind of scare…but your suggestions are appreciated!
Thnx

The first line treatment is ETV or TDF.

In almost all people, this successfully reduces viral load. This stops the virus from reproducing, but it will remain in your liver. Cure rates on these treatments are low, but it stops liver disease progression.

Thomas

1 Like

Thanks!
I have an appointment with Dr Gish for treatment options. Thnx!

3 Likes

Hi Nass
You must be proud to have a guru like Dr Giss near you to fix your treatment.
Wish you all the best.
Kinoti.

2 Likes

Great to hear, @Nass. Say hi for me when you see him :slight_smile:!

TT

1 Like

Dear Thomas,
my ALAT and ASAT levels are finally within the norm after almost 1 year on Tenofovir.
However, other results are not ok i .e. billirubin direct slightly raised, very low ferritin levels with normal iron levels, slightly raised transferrin level, too low haemoglobin level, low mch, mchc, and mcv. The IgM antibodies are slightly raised, Igg in the norm. Can this be related to hepatitis b? My viral load is undetectable. The recent scan showed slight fatty liver and fatty pancreas. Can fat be confused with tumor/mass in ultrasound? Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks @ThomasTu and @Kinoti .

1 Like

Hi @natti,

I’m actually not sure, have you talked to your doctor about these blood tests?

My understanding is that fat is widely distributed through the liver and looks very different to a tumour/mass which is all in one spot.

Thomas

Continuing the discussion from EXPLAINER: Lab results and their interpretation:

Good day Dr. Thomas i really appreciate your help, I run another test for HBV AND LFT
The results are:
HBV
Hbsag: positive
Hbsab: negative
Hbeag negative
Hbeab positive
Hbcab positive

LFT
AST: 11.I U/L (up to 12)
ALT: 5.4 U/L (up to 12)
ALB: 4 g/dl (to 3.8-4.4)
T. Protein 7.5 g/dl (64-83)
TBC: 12 mg (up to 1.7)
DBC: 2.5 Lm/L (up to 4)

The first test was conducted more than 6 months ago. Can this be declared as chronic infection or still in acute stage?

1 Like

Dear @anasaladan

Thanks for updating us again. I think this is a more easily interpretable result. It may be that your test 6 months ago was misinterpreted, as per @smart55’s suggestion. Your results now are consistent with a chronic infection, yes.

Thomas

3 Likes

Hello, I’m new to this group. I was diagnosed with Hepb almost 30 years ago, I never took it seriously. Here are my lastest numbers. My fibroscan was good but doctor suggested a liver biopsy which I’m not comfortable with. In 3 months I’ll have more blood work drawn and potentially be placed on medication.
Will I ever be able to wine drink wine again???

Your Value
12,074 IU/mL
Standard Range
<=0.0 IU/mL
Flag
H
Hepatitis B (HBV), Log
Your Value
4.08 Log
Standard Range
<0.00 Log
Flag
H

2 Likes

Dear @SLDJN1017,

Thanks for sharing your story. Good to hear that your fibroscan looked good. Did your doctor mention why a liver biopsy is necessary?

It is best practice to limit your alcohol, but an occasional wine is not going to accelerate your liver disease quickly. See here for a previous conversation about it: Vices - alcohol marijuana etc

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

He never gave a good reason for a liver biopsy. He just said if it showed any scaring we would then start treatment right away but if I’m against the biopsy, we will check my levels again in 3 months and treatment may be started at that time. I would be placed on entecavir.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Here are my recent labs.

GPT/ALT Your Value29 Units/L Standard Range<64 Units/L
GOT/AST Your Value24 Units/L Standard Range<=37 Units/L
Hepatitis B (HBV), Quantitative Your Value12,074 IU/mL Standard Range<=0.0 IU/mL FlagH
Hepatitis B (HBV), Log Your Value4.08 Log Standard Range<0.00 Log FlagH

3 months prior my numbers were higher. They go up and down. Would it be helpful to share those as well?

I hope this helps.