Entecavir side effects/depression

Hello, I am wondering if any of you had any experienced with sever depression while on Entecavir? My depression is going really bad right now but I don’t see it listed on the side effects. I was a bit depressed too while I was on Vemlidy but not as bad as when doctor switched me to entercavir. I would also like to ask how you all manage depression and anxiety if it’s caused by hep b medicine? I eat pretty healthy and clean food and I workout but I am not so sure where this depression is coming from? I would greatly appreciate any advice and inputs.

Dear @Grithcel13,

If you are experiencing severe depression and anxiety, then it is serious and you definitely need to get in-person medical advice.

It is risky to get any medical advice online from people who don’t know your background or history, and it’s not something that can be simply fixed by changing diet. You wouldn’t do this for a broken leg, so why do this for something as serious just because it is psychological?

Please let us know how you go, and please take care.

Yours sincerely,
Thomas

Hi @ThomasTu, I’ve been on ETV Sandoz for a year and had no side effect at all. TheNZ governement recently discontinued Sandoz. I’ve experienced heavy side effects after switching brand from Sandoz to Mylan. Is this normal and was wondering if it will eventually disappear over time or should I switch to a new brand to see if it helps? Much appreicate your input/advice.

Hi @hepzero,
Welcome to the community. @ThomasTu will answer your question soon. My opinion is that switching antivirals from one manufacturer to another should not be causing any new side effects. They might be different brands/manufacturers but they use the same ingredients in the medicine. I was on Entecavir for a couple of years and I did not experience any side effects. What side effects are you experiencing, you did not mention? Is it that possible your side effects are from something else and not the entecavir?
I hope this helps. Bansah1

Thanks heaps. Yeah I was on Sandoz for almost a year and was totally fine without noticing anything. The new brand mylan made me feel dizzy, fatique and a headache which is listed as the general side effect on the medsafe website. I’m unsure if these symptoms will persist or will it go away over time if i keep taking it as it does impact daily work/life whcih is less than ideal…

That is very interesting. I am not exactly sure what is happening here. But a few things you can do, try drinking more fluids high in electrolytes (try pedialyte it is a drink for kids but works for adults in case it is a problem with dehydration) and double check your medication package to make sure it is not expired. If this symptoms persist, please consult with your provider for further advice. Thanks and I hope you feel better. Bansah1

Sorry to hear about your symptoms, @hepzero. To be honest, I do not think there has been much investigation into the different side-effects and what causes them. So, it is difficult to say whether you will continue to experience them or not.

The good news is is that this seems to be a temporary issue of the supply of Sandoz ETV (USANZ - Entecavir Supply Issue in Aotearoa New Zealand), with supply expecting to resume in March this year.

If it continues to be an issue, you could ask that they put you back on the Sandoz pills after they come back.

Hope this helps,
Thomas