Disclosure of your chronic hep b status

One of the major concerns for people who have recently been diagnosed with chronic Hep b is disclosure to; family, spouse, workmates and friends.

Important to note the world over, matters of one’s health are confidential and can only be disclosed voluntarily. Hence you are under no obligation to tell anybody you have chronic Hep b. What you have is a social and moral obligation not to knowingly infect others.
Well said then, you should ask yourself, why am I disclosing myself, for what benefit. Further, who will benefit from the information that you give.waooh and lastly, are you in position to handle the outcome.
Let me give a lead:
1.AGE.One’s age is a big determinant on self disclosure. If you are a young person who depends on parental support, you are probably unable to keep your status away from them. You may choose any of your parents whom you feel more comfortable with.
If you are advanced in age you also need a support team to cater for your health.

1. SEVERILTY of the desease. If at the point of diagnosis,Hep b is so advanced, you need someone to do for you what you can’t do for yourself. You need someone to take you where you can’t go on your own.Then you might choose your significant other.

3.MARITAL STATUS:I mean are you married or not? Are you intending to marry? chronic Hep b definitely affects one’s way of life. If you are married, it will affect your sex life. If you are not married and you intend to marry you are also here.Chronic Hep b will influence your menu.You will have to take your daily doses and you don’t intend to take them in hinding.
Think also about your children. You will have to protect them. Hence you might consider disclosing to your spouse/spouse to be.

4.IMPACT OF HEP B ON YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
What impact did your chronic Hep n have on your mental health? Are you so disturbed that you feel like harming your life or the life of the one’s you suspect infected you. Please consider confirming to a confidant. You might help you feel about better… You need a support team.
5.ACTIVISM: Do you to advance the interests of other chronic Hep b people.?
Regards
Kinoti.

2 Likes

I would add a few more to this list…

1. CULTURE… where you raised is also a factor in disclosing whether its a collective or individual. Will you be outcasted or accepted. LGBTIQ has come along way in some cultures, and still shunned in others. Same way that some cultures are so unaware of this disease.

2. READINESS and not being attached to the outcome of acceptance and rejection. You need to be prepared for when you tell people that they may need time to process.
    They may prefer reading up on learning on their own or a short video along with conversations. There is no textbook for this only trust in the existing relationship.

1 Like