Community & Lived Experience Scholarships for VH2024

Hi everyone,

The 14th Australasian Viral Hepatitis Conference will be in Garamilla/Darwin from the 1-3 August 2024.

To be eligible for this you:

• Are able to attend the conference in person from 1 to 3 August 2024 in Garamilla (Darwin)
  • Live in Australia
  • Have lived experience of hepatitis B and/or C and/or be from an affected community or priority population and/or as a volunteer or peer of a non-government community hepatitis and/or peer-based organisation

For more information on how to apply, please visit: https://www.hepatitis.org.au/scholarships-VH

Deadline for scholarship applications is 11:59pm ACST Sunday 24th March 2024

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, @Mylisa. Just to be clear, these scholarships aim to cover flights, accommodation, and conference registration.

This is a great opportunity for the Australian affected community to show up and network with others (both people with Hep B, but also experts in molecular biology, policy development, clinicians, public health, etc.). @Caraline was able to make it to one of these meetings and I think it was a really positive experience (would love your opinion @Caraline).

It’s also really important that we get into conversations and (more importantly) convey the needs of the community to the decision makers and those doing the research. I’m part of the organising committee of this meeting and we have made sure to do all we can to elevate the patient voice and make sure it’s listened to.

So really if you can, please apply so that your voice can be heard!

Thomas

1 Like

Thanks @ThomasTu @Mylisa

Yes, I went to one of the conferences and it was fantastic…to see the research that was being done on hepatitis B and C.
My scholarship was fully taken care of by one phone call , who organised everything. Planes, connecting flights, accommodation, travelling to and from conference. I did not have to organise anything, except myself .
It was great to mix with professional advocates for a cure. They were so helpful and caring.
I loved being able to speak about HBV and not feel condemned or awkward. It was quite refreshing.
It was most enjoyable to speak with other HBV victims . I have actually made a friend who I keep in contact with still.
I was able to have a fibroscan too. Which is a more accurate diagnosis of what is going on with your liver. We don’t have one in our city.
My results were a relief…
I came away feeling hopeful of the work being done on finding a cure and eliminating HBV. More confident of not being alone and an awesome time of being with like minded people.
I totally recommend going to anyone. I’m even pondering going again this year. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks for the overview and fantastic feedback, @Caraline.

Would love to see you in Darwin if you can make it!

Cheers,
Thomas