Careers in Biomedical science? Medical or health care setting?

Hi!

Hope everyone is well. I have a question, if a chronic carrier can be accepted in medical field or labs?

Currently taking a biomedical science-microbiologist major. My dilemma is how will I go if my practical/ field requirement if they found out I am a carrier. Placements can be in hospitals or private labs.

Will that be a problem?

1 Like

Dear @Ann1491,

I live with Hepatitis B and I run my own research group after working in a science lab for the last 14 years (still running experiments, actually). There should be no problem with getting a placement if you have a chronic Hep B infection.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

4 Likes

Hi Ann1491,

Same here! I work at a medical center in a cancer research lab and have for 20 years. I finally told my coworkers about my having hepatitis 3 years ago. It took me longer to tell my boss, who is our department Chair. I took the plunge last month at our lab lunch of all places. It just came up in conversation and I felt like I could tell him. I’m finally at a place in my life where I want to speak up and give people a face for this disease. Perhaps it will be harder for people to stigmatize it if they associate it with someone they know and respect, or at least that’s my hope!

Best to you,

Rebecca

7 Likes

I’m a physician with hepatitis B and it has not been an issue for me. It’s considered discrimination in the US to not let someone study in a healthcare field or remove them from their healthcare job strictly due to their hepatitis B status. (Not to say it hasn’t happened but it shouldn’t be allowed).
So great to hear your story Rebecca! Totally agree about how sharing our stories is a big part of destigmatizing Hep B!

6 Likes