Can you only get Hepatitis D if you are infected with Hepatitis B? Moreover, if someone has the HepB vaccine and has proper antibodies against Hep B, will they by default be protected against Hep D as well?

Question in title! I’m a bit confused about the correlation, I didn’t know Hepatitis D existed until recently.

1 Like

hello. In fact, there is a lot of misinformation about hepatitis, especially hepatitis D.

The HDV virus (which causes hepatitis D) requires the HBV virus (which causes hepatitis B) as it is an incomplete virus, an RNA virus.

so you will only be a carrier of virus D if you are necessarily a carrier of virus B.

logically, by vaccinating against virus B you will also be protecting yourself from virus D.

Experts will be able to provide you with more information. I wish you the best.

:pray:

2 Likes

Hi @Anon2023,
@La.sciamachie is right. Yes, one can only get Hepatitis D if they already have hepatitis B. If you don’t have hepatitis B, you are not going to get hepatitis D. People who get vaccinated against hepatitis B do not have to be worried about hepatitis D since they do not have Hep.B to begin with. I hope this is helpful. Bansah1

3 Likes

Sorry but if you already have hepatitis B how can you protect yourself from having hepatitis D?

Hello, @Lindah .

Once a chronic carrier of hepatitis B, it would be ideal to perform a hepatitis D test to rule out possible co-infection.

Once co-infection (HBV/HDV) has been ruled out, I think the way to protect yourself is not to expose yourself again in risky contacts (this includes staying away from sharp materials for personal use and unprotected sex) in order to avoid the so-called superinfection. which tends to be quite serious, from what I’ve read.

These are my impressions as a patient and I hope they help you in some way. I’m sure someone here on the forum will give you a better answer.

1 Like

Is hapetites d treated in people with hepatitis b???
This causes much worries to learn that HBV patients carry double burden of HBV and HDV.
It’s better dying done going through all these pains.
I at times admire those that have rested from this kind of frustration. Am sorry but I feel the weight

Unlike hepatitis B that has a vaccine, there is no such thing for hepatitis D. It’s either you develop it or you don’t. The hepatitis D virus uses hepatitis B as it’s main source of survival. That’s why only those with hepatitis B develop hepatitis D. You and I can’t do anything about hepatitis D. Thanks, Bansah1

1 Like

hello, @Opá .

What is your situation? Are you a carrier of chronic HBV?

I understand the nervousness of thinking about having an HBV/HDV co-infection. I went through this recently and managed to do the tests that ruled out the possibility of carrying the HDV for me.

The HDV virus is much more difficult to find and is widespread in certain areas around the world. In my country, for example, there is a specific area of ​​prominence.

Even though it is rare, it would be good if all HBV carriers could rule out the possibility of co-infection with HDV.

And, if you are diagnosed with both viruses, there are ways to treat and minimize the damage. And, there are medicines in development that will soon help people with HBV/HDV. So, try to look at things from the best side, we have gifts even in the midst of bad prognoses. May we stay well and fighting. I wish you the best.

1 Like

Hi @Opa,
I understand reading about this could feel heavy. But here is what I will say, hepatitis D does not seem to happen quickly. Rather it seems like that happens overtime. Therefore, you do not have to be overly burdened by this. Take care of your hepatitis B and lets hope for a cure soon.

You do not have to die because of HBV. Thanks to the antivirals we have today it can be managed. Remember when HIV was a death sentence, today it is manageable just as someone will take medicines for high blood pressure or cholesterol or other chronic illness. Remain positive. You have HBV, but don’t let HBV control your life. Rather you can control it whichever way it makes you feel positive about yourself and your life. It is all about mindset and perspective. The more negative one gets the more negative results they will get. When I was diagnosed early 2014, I felt the same way as you do now. But over the years, I have developed a mindset, in which I am the boss of HBV and not the other way round. I do the things I need to do today and worry less about the unknown/tomorrow. I live everyday as if it is my last. Today is guaranteed because we are here, but tomorrow might be a different story and there is no guarantee.

Keep your chin up. Smile as much as you can no matter what; and take things one day at a time.
I wish you the best of luck in everything you do. Bansah1

1 Like

If being a carrier means having no symptoms, I think am not coz I have serious pain at my right abdomen, back and ribs.

I can definitely relate to these fears of being vulnerable to HDV. I worked in labs where high HDV titres were being cultured. At some point, you trust the systems in the lab to prevent exposure, but there’s sometimes some anxiety.

I think @Bansah1 has a great attitude and mindset towards being the boss of HBV not be subservient to it!

TT

3 Likes

Wow. Beginning to be even more worried. So from understanding from reading the responses. U can only get HDV if u have already have HBV. My question is, i have HBV, do i give myself HDV from getting cut with sharp metal and touching my contaminated blood? Or is it getting exposure from another person with HDV. Leanings that u can give urself HDV if u have Hap b is scary.Someone reply plzz. Thank u :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello my dear @Kg7656

Yes, you can only be a carrier of HDV if you are a carrier of HBV. This is due to the fact that HDV is an incomplete virus and requires the structure of the HBV virus.

Therefore, there are two possible hypotheses of a person carrying the D virus: the first is the HBV/HDV co-infection that occurs simultaneously, at the time they obtained the B virus they already had the D virus “attached”. The second way is if you are a chronic carrier of HBV and have contact with the D virus (unprotected sex, sharp objects for personal use, etc.). this is superinfection.

As I said previously: virus D is more difficult to find and is prevalent in some limited and specific regions around the world. In my country, the Amazon region, there is a higher prevalence. And there are many cases of underreporting. At this point, as a layman, I understand that all carriers of virus B should have the opportunity to rule out the possibility of having virus D.

I say you shouldn’t be worried. Just talk to your doctor about the possibility of testing for virus D. And take the necessary precautions to avoid exposing yourself to possible infections.

I wish you God’s blessings. We are together.

3 Likes

Ty for the response. So there is no way that i can give myself hdv who has only hbv not hdv? Thats my only concern. I been trying not to touch my own blood from any cuts or bruises.

1 Like

If you only carry HBV there is no possibility of getting HDV from your own blood.

Contact with other blood with HBV/HDV infection is necessary to become infected with HDV.

In this sense, I think that the care you should take with your own blood is to ensure that other people do not get HBV. But make sure these precautions don’t harm your mental health. remember that we must live fully and in the best way possible, my friend.

2 Likes

U have no idea how u just made me feel. Felt like huge bruden just left my body. I been thinking hap B will result in hap D with our own blood. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING. I CAN SLEEP WITH LESS STRESS. AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH.

3 Likes

@ThomasTu can Hep B and Hep D be caught at once? Like if someone is in a situation that causes them to become infected w/ Hep B, can they at that moment also become infected with Hep D?

Yes, they can be caught at the same time and this is more likely to be linked to an acute infection (rather than a chronic infection).

Thomas