Ab-729 Trial, should I join?

I am sorry to hear that you had covid :pensive:.
I recently had an enterovirus and three days after I had no other symptoms I got a flu :exploding_head:. These infections make me feel and remind me about my childhood, when I was sick quite often.
Hopefully you will be fully recovered soon!
Keep in touch :wink:

Thank you for your advice!
The funny thing is that when I have the ECG done the heart beat is ~85 bpm and not 140 as it happens during the week.
Iā€™m thinking to mention about this issue to my doctor on my next visit. Didnā€™t want to bother her late at night and then it was weekend and the next day wasnā€™t so bad, hopefully is nothing really serious.

1 Like

Hi @Ecky

When these events happen, note the time and duration - these should be reported to your physician. Heart function can be compromised but not always show up as a symptom all the time. This is not to say that this is the case for you but 140bpm resting is significant but moderate tachycardia and should be reported.

Best regards,

3 Likes

How are you doing Ecky? I hope the interferon is going well and some of your side effects have lessened. Iā€™m going to push forward and continue with the trial. I will start interferon next month, and will find out then which study Iā€™m randomized into. Hope you are well!

1 Like

Hi @3kids4me,
I am glad youā€™re pushing forward and continue with the trial. I donā€™t get tired so much in the last few days, which is great! I even played some volleyball recently, my muscles are dying :upside_down_face:, havenā€™t played for a while.

Hope you will be alright with PegInterferon :hugs:

1 Like

That is wonderful news you are feeling better and getting back to doing things you enjoy! Thatā€™s important!

2 Likes

Did your ALT and AST rise?

1 Like

Hi @Suresh786 ,
Yes, itā€™s still above the normal range

1 Like

Hello @3kids4me !
How are you doing and how is your health journey?
Iā€™ve been doing better and better, praise God for He has strengthened me!
In about 2 months I will be told to stop TDF or keep it taking.
How does your blood results look like?
Mine have got perfect, nothing below or above :wink:

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Blessings,
Ecky

So happy for youā€¦congratsā€¦
This is amazing.
You have been silent quite awhile., i was wondering what happenedā€¦
You lost this Hbsag?

1 Like

Hello Ecky!

Iā€™m so glad to read you are back to normal! I go for my first bloodwork off Interferon next week, but told bloodwork should go back to normal fairly quickly off medication also. I feel great, energy completely back, with no issues. I am behind you, so I have 5 more months on my Vemlidy before I go off/stay on. Iā€™m told itā€™s not something the study can predict now, because now itā€™s up to immune system to tell us where we are in 5 months. Arbutus has a great website that has lots of information on our trial. Google Arbutus 729 and look at posters and presentations. So far in our study, nobody has lost HbsAg but more than not have been successful at stopping their antiviral. Hopefully over time our body will do what it should have when we were first exposed. Best wishes and keep me posted! Blessings!

Thanks for your support!
Itā€™s been a very busy summer for me, thatā€™s why I was silent :relaxed:.
I am curious about it too, but I usually check the HBsAg level every 6 months, so I have to wait couple weeks more and Iā€™ll find out.

I am so excited for you!
I follow Arbutusā€™ page too for updates but the most recent poster itā€™s from June, looking forward for their next presentation, hopefully with more specific information :relaxed:.
May the Lord bless the people who suffer from Hepatitis and the doctors, scientists and everyone who is involved in finding the miracle medication for people like us!
Best wishes :hugs:

1 Like

Itā€™s good to have our lives back to normal and feel good again, I completely understand. Keep me in the loop with how you are doing and I will also. In the US, we cannot get quantitative hbsag done by routine labs and that is something which is blinded by the study. That is great you can monitor yours on your own, I wish I could! Best wishes again!

I agree and look forward also to seeing hopefully more great news for us and others that live with this disease. :heart:

3 Likes

Honestly. I couldnā€™t give a thumbs up on joining any Clinical trials for a hope for a cure.

Maybe, if nothing is working and things are getting worseā€¦ then yes, but hoping to be curedā€¦. Itā€™s the wrong reason.

Sorry if this type of thinking puts a bump on the research for a cure, but if I wonā€™t do it, I would not be for it.

That is the great thing about options, we all have free will to do what we feel may be right for us and our own lives/situations. All the best.

3 Likes

I agree with this sentiment, @3kids4me, while also seeing that @NeptuneJā€™s points are valid. Some of us are fine with being on pills every day with the reduction in disease progression. Others of us see our condition as more onerous and would like to be more proactive in trying ways to cure the infection. Both viewpoints (and all in between) are valid, and this is what I struggle with in my advocacy roles to put forward: there is no single affected community viewpoint or perspective. There is such variability in the way people experience the infection that it makes it hard to convey to people (scientists, clinicians, pharma, public health, and policy makers) who genuinely want to know how to do better for the communityā€¦

3 Likes

Being on medication if needed is a must is fine. Just sucks and not good that itā€™s a lifetime. Itā€™s almost depending on a lifeline, which is scary.

Out of fear, getting on a clinical trial when something is already working for you, hoping for a cure could have unwarranted outcomes. What if the clinical trial doesnā€™t work and then your back on your old medication and that doesnā€™t work. Most of clinical trials should almost be the last resort.

Different situations, but when my father passed from cancer, clinical trial was his last option. Not like any of the drugs he was given was a cure or anything. But when a certain chemo worked, he was on it until it didnā€™t.

Itā€™s definitely a personal decision. I just wouldnā€™t do it until my options are exhausted. Just because itā€™s new doesnā€™t mean itā€™s better. I think before TAF was approved, there were many versions of trials that were not where it should have been. But without human testers, it would have never hit the public.

Hi @NeptuneJ , thank you for your input. I understand you perfectly!

Before being diagnosed with HBV I considered myself a very healthy person and havenā€™t taken any medication, even when I was sick I knew my body can fight and be healed soon. But the time when I was diagnosed I had to change my mind and accept the need of antivirals. Because I didnā€™t want to follow my motherā€™s steps, who died at a young age (56 years old) because of complications from Hepatitis B, C and D. At that time there werenā€™t any antivirals available in my country but now we are blessed people who have the opportunity to choose between TDF, TAF or Entecavir. And this is because of the people who sacrificed their health, took the risks to participate in trials and also all the scientists, doctors who work together in finding a cure.

AB-729 is the third trial I decided to participate, for helping the medicine, hoping to be effective and why not to give others a chance to be healed!

All the best!

3 Likes