Understanding fatty liver disease

Hi Thomas–you are right! I love those complex metabolic pathway maps. Even heavily simplified as they must be, they point out to me the exquisite complexity of life. It keeps me humble when I’m feeling good about progress in my lab! There is always so much more to learn.

John.

2 Likes

Body weight lost doesn’t mean so much sometimes. People can lose 5-15 lb in a week or 2 bc it’s mostly water loss. Unless your bmi gets smaller, weight lost is just superficial.

You ll probably have to be on some sort of ketosis for about 6 months to lose some fat out of the liver. Most peoples body will burn excess energy from stored carbs. You have to tweak your body to burn fat and not stored carbs and sugar.

Caloric deficit and exercise, while having high protein diet from natural foods with limited carbs will be only way to lose weight.

Hi Neptune
Kindly let me know how possible is it to loss weight without BMI getting smaller if BMI=body weight in kg/height in meters squered
Kinoti

1 Like

You don’t really have to lose any fat to lose 5-10 lbs. water loss, pooping out waste, and not eating as much for couple days, could be the reason.

I use to go from 175-180 lbs to 160-175lb just by not eating as much. I probably just carried about 5-10 lbs of waste in my system and lose some water weight. Now if I did not fluctuate and a month later I was down 15 lbs and stayed that way then it’s actually weight loss.

Even if you stop eating, you body adapts in burning fat to not burning as quickly. It almost self preserves it self

Why keto dieting is so effective is, your body doesn’t self persevere but changes the way it burn fat as energy. With caloric deficit dieting, you would have to work out to burn the extra fat. Almost tricking your body to keep burning fat.

But if you just stop eating you will get lower bmi.

1 Like

Hi Neptune
Thanks for keeping me informed.
Dr Gish (for Hepb foundation)has done a research on weight lose for fatty liver. He advises five mails a day with a tea cup plate without a second serving. He advises that one to stay clear of saturated fats and sugar. I think that is enough.
My concern has been why does the liver store fat even when there’s no excess fat in the body.And that measurements for cholesterol and triglycerides can’t be used to test steatosis.

Kinoti.

1 Like

I couldn’t rest today. Had to go and do the abdominal uss.
My suspicion that something is wrong with my liver has been confirmed.
Finding was that of fatty liver grade 3 which I know it’s very bad.
Pain under the right rib and right side of the abdomen increasing in intensity.
I have some questions which I hope I will get answers to here because I am at my wit’s end.
1 What kind of treatment will I undergo including drugs and will it reverse it
2 Although the report said no lesions seen, is it possible that the fatty liver could be obstructing the lesions or cirrhosis if it’s actually present.

3 Likes

The result
Liver measures 15.1cm. It has smooth outline. The parenchymal echogenicity is diffusely increased with poor visualisation of the intrahepatic portal venous wall reflectivity and diaphragmatic outline. No focal lesion is seen within the parenchymal .
The intrahepatic ducts and vascular channels are normal in calibre .
The gall bladder is preserved
No ascitis.

Is it possible I am already cirrhotic due to the pain and malaise.
I am having pain and discomfort on the right side of the abdomen, chest and back

1 Like

Hi @Tsbs,

I have moved this query to the fatty liver disease thread where I think it could help other people going through the same thing and it’ll be easier to search for.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience, but the good thing is that grade 3 fatty liver is reversible. If you take away the underlying cause of inflammation (in this case, it is likely that build-up of fat in the cells) then your liver can recover from this over time. There is no specific drug treatment available for fatty liver, and doctors will likely suggest you make lifestyle changes (e.g. diet, exercise, good sleep) to give your body the best chance to repair itself.

Regarding whether it may be hiding other masses, I am not sure, though other @HealthExperts may be able to contribute.

If you have been categorised as Grade 3 fatty liver, this is not cirrhosis.

Regarding the pain, it’s best to talk to your doctor about possibilities of pain relief that are right for you in this situation.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

4 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate your response. The inflammation is caused by the fatty liver and hbv. I will likely get treatment for the 2. Thanks once again. Still looking forward to other contributions.

2 Likes

Please is it possible for the liver not to be fibrotic or cirrhotic and still be showing symptoms like pain and malaise in my case

1 Like

Dear @Tsbs,

It’s my understanding that pain, inflammation, and ALT flares are associated with acute liver damage, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you have fibrosis or cirrhosis. The liver scarring (fibrosis/cirrhosis) builds up over long periods of inflammation.

Hope this clarifies some things,
Thomas

2 Likes

Just saw a gastroenterologist today. He counselled me on weight loss and dietary modification… I have to do tests like fasting lipid profile, fasting blood glucose , full blood count, liver function test. I am to see him in 2 weeks with the results. He also encouraged me to do liver biopsy. No medication until after the test results. I am just worried, I thought he was going to give a medication but he said not yet. Still having the abdominal oain

2 Likes

Dear @Tsbs,

These are quite normal tests to do before being considered for treatment, so no need to be worried about them. Liver biopsy would provide very strong evidence either way about what is going on in your liver, but if it were me I would wait for the lab results first before making a decision. Hope it all goes well and that you update us on your progress.

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Thanks for replying. Pain has got worse of recent. Noticed small specks of whitish mucoid stool.
It’s almost certain with the symptoms that it has likely progressed to cirrhosis or HCC.
I am so sad right now.

1 Like

I feel with you and I am almost sure alot is going in your mind.
Although I am not a medical expert, I would suggest you do general stool test as this could be a sign of amaebiosis.
Kindly keep us posted as we wish you all the best.
Kinoti

2 Likes

Thank you kinoti, I feel the pain right side of the chest under the ribs, right side of the abdomen, right side of the back. Pain worsens after eating. I have both fatty liver grade 3 and chronic hepatitis b.

1 Like

Just saw the result of my urinalysis which showed bilirubinuria 1+. It’s obvious I have a liver damage whether it’s cirrhotic or HCC I don’t know.
My question is, if I start treatment can the liver recover and bilirubinuria corrected.

1 Like

Hello
The liver can definitely recover with treatment.
And can stop further damage.
Blessings

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say that it’s certain you have HCC or anything else serious.
It could be “Mucus in stool is normal but when you see a lot of white or yellowish mucus, it means you may have a GI problem, like a stomach bug, IBS, inflammatory bowel disease, celiac, or other issue . It’s important to make sure something in your diet isn’t causing it and see a doctor to look for an underlying intestinal issue.”
Those are my thoughts and could be the cause of your pain, specially since you feel pain after you eat.
I had pain like yours from intestinal issues. I am now listening to my body by watching what I eat. If a certain food continues to cause pain, I stop eating it and see if that helps.
Having fibrosis is not liver cancer or cirrhosis.

2 Likes

Just saw the result of my LFT, ALT is 40 normal is 12, AST is 8, normal is 12. But there’s hypoalbuminemia with value of 18 and normal is 30 and above.
The hepatologist said it’s highly likely I am cirrhotic due to the hypoalbuminemia. I have been scheduled for liver biopsy in the next 2 days. My prayer is that the cirrhosis isn’t decompensated and that treatment can help me.

1 Like