Should I give up my nursing study?

Yes, I am. :heart:strong text****strong text

1 Like

thanks LIZ. I will go ahead with gathering my credentials

1 Like

You are welcome. Wish all the good for both of us in pursuing our study and career:)

1 Like

Good luck with your study and career endeavor. I hope your hard work and compassion for others could bloom and shine positively in the world.

2 Likes

Hi Liz. I got the nursing admission and thought to share with you .Thanks for the motivation

1 Like

@Liz Hi . I thought to share with you that I got the admission. Thanks for the motivation

1 Like

Congratulations! I wish you all the best in your pursue of study and career as a nurse! Thanks for your sharing, that’s really inspring!

1 Like

Questions to the experts.
Hello, I am currently working in a healthcare facility setting and hoping to be a nurse eventually. My virus is currently undetectable and fairly healthy but my first question is, should I be concerned about pursuing a nursing career and continuing to work at a facility with me being a hep b carrier when it comes to infection control?
Second, if my virus becomes detectable again, should I let my employer know and quit working? I live in the United States.
Third and last, it seems kind of hard to get away from getting Covid vaccines especially when you’re pursuing a career in a medical field. Is there any concern for hepb carrier getting the covid vaccine? I am definitely opposed to getting it and might stop pursuing my education if I am required to getting it unless I know for sure that it is not going to suppress my immune system.
Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Hello @Grithcel13

If you read this, is should not be a issue at all whatever if your virus is Undetectable or detectable.
Hepatitis B are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA]

ADA: Justice Department Settles with the UMDNJ Over Discrimination Against People with Hepatitis B - Hepatitis B Foundation))

https://www.hepb.org/resources-and-support/know-your-rights/employment/

Im not sure about the Covid vaccines, but from what I heard it should not be a problem at all. But mabye @ThomasTu @availlant can say more about this.

2 Likes

Thank you Nick! I appreciate your input.

2 Likes

Hi @Grithcel13,

I’ve just moved your posts into this thread, where I think there’s been great discussion on this point.

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Best of luck. Hope it works out for you.

3 Likes

Hi @Grithcel13

I’m not sure how the system works in the US, but in Australia, you do not need to disclose your Hep B status as long as your work does not involve exposure-prone procedures (EPP). You might need to submit your immunization status before commencing work, but in Australia, you have the right not to disclose your Hep B status by providing a letter from your doctor stating that you are safe to work.

I am also a nurse working in the healthcare sector in Melbourne, and I have never had any issues declaring my Hep B status to my workplace. Regarding the Covid vaccine, I used to have concern when I received the first dose of the vaccine three years ago. However, after a thorough explanation from the physicians at the hospital, they stated that the risk of not being vaccinated and working in a high-risk setting outweighs the risks associated with the COVID vaccine.

Best of luck.
Tepy

6 Likes

Thank you so much @NeptuneJ! I just hope that there will not be a whole lot of hiccups along the way to get to where I wanna be.

Don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t right away and others get it easy. I read in the USA, for every $10,000 you expect to earn, average recruitment is a month. So if you expect a $50-60k annual salary, it can take 5-6 months before landing a job.

You’re one of a kind sir tepy you give us hope and eagerness to focus in our career, if im allowed to ask you?.. can i/we apply in your hospital that you currently working in.?

1 Like

Just to provide an update, I am now working as an RN in the top hospital in Canada.
I have informed them of my medical condition and submitted lab results, particularly the HBV DNA test, which indicates that my hepatitis B is inactive. There are no restrictions on my work.
I am planning to move to Australia since it is closer to my home country, and the weather is much better there. Will it be an issue when applying for RN registration and immigration to Australia?

1 Like

Hi Jicjic,
It is great to hear from you again about your progress, knows things are going well for you so far. Thank you so much for your updates. For your next step of your life and career plan, i found a similar post as yours at our forum, hope you can find some helpful info there. All the best for you!
The link is as follows: Hepatitis B and Immigration/visa issues

1 Like

Dear @jicjic,

Congratulations on your career progression and glad to hear about your plans to move to Australia! That’s fantastic news! As @Liz mentioned, there is an existing thread on this and there should not be a problem, but @tepy has encountered several issues in Australia regarding incomplete knowledge of people within the system.

@tepy, do you mind sharing some of your experiences so that others might avoid such issues?

Cheers,
Thomas

Which university or college did you apply to because i contacted about 4 colleges in ontario and they said i was ineligible to be accepted in the nursing program