Should I give up my nursing study?

You are absolutely correct. Since I was diagnosed in year 2000 with hep b, not a single private or business accepted me to join them as an employee, simply because I couldn’t pass the medical examination test required !!!
Thanks God, I ended up hired in a governmental position , get married with a beautiful wife that accepted me as she new about my case, had kids, still on medication up to now.
I think regulations have to be reviewed or changed regarding this disease. The virus can not be transferred to others unless there is a blood contact. So there is nothing to be fear of.

1 Like

Exactly,we need to end up this sort of stigmatisation to Hep-B infected peoples and we must have confidence in fighting for this
We should engage to policy maker to makes changes

3 Likes

Dear @Liz and @saidnuu,

As mentioned in other threads, @Joan_Block has experience in this (she has hepatitis B and was trained as a nurse). @cscoffin is a hepatologist in Calgary and could provide some expertise in the area.

Thomas

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reference. I am looking foward to hearing from our experts like Joan and Coffin. Their professional knowledge will be a significant guide for me.

Hi Zuhair,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I am so glad that you live a happy life with your family now. I believe things will be getting better with so many people striving for our rights.

Hello All
In Canada a healthcare worker has the right to practise even if they have hepatitis B. (I follow several patients living with hepatitis B who are successful nurses and physicians). There may be some variation between different provinces on monitoring viral load (HBV DNA) and providing letters from your physician for reporting to the Physician or Nursing licensing body. Some surgeons may also need to adjust their practise for performing certain procedures. In Alberta where I practise, I do not need to provide any documentation.

8 Likes

Hi Carla,

Thank you for your response. You words are really inspiring. It gives me courage to move on. I know there will still be stigma out there, even among some health professionals. I am grateful that we have this forum where we can seek for help, knowing we are not alone, and gain the courage to face the challenge in life. Thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks
Nice to hear this

1 Like

Thank you for this information!
I’m currently living in Canada and I just got my registered nurse license in the US and almost getting my license in Ontario, Canada (I passed all the requirements except for the health declaration as I am waiting for my Hepatologist to provide a letter to the college since I declared my condition). I’m really afraid to apply for nursing jobs in hospitals because of discrimination… I understand that employers cannot disqualify me because of my HBV status but I’m afraid that this might still affect the application process at some point. In the US, job offer comes first before medical examinations and employers cannot retract the offer because of the HBV result. Is the employment process in most Canadian hospitals the same? Im just thinking that maybe they will provide different reasons for not giving me a job offer but the real reason is my HBV status

I read in this guideline that HCW with HBV DNA <1000 IU/mL should have no restrictions and can perform exposure prone procedures

www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/infectious-diseases/nosocomial-occupational-infections/prevention-transmission-bloodborne-viruses-healthcare-workers/guideline_accessible_aug-2-2019.pdf

2 Likes

Hi Jicjic,

First of all, congratulation on your succesful completion of your study, and thank you for sharing your concern with us. I hope someone professional here can help you with their experience, especially how is the employer hiring process. I fully understand your concern, because that’s what bring me to this forum,too. I got help from Saidnuu and Carla who shared their experience here, and I made up my mind to moving forward with my study. I will face the same situation as you when I graduate. I’m sorry I am not able to give you advice in this aspect now. I am also looking foward to hearing from someone here. I wish you all the best in the start of your new career. I do believe everything should be fine.

1 Like

I’m in this same boat. I sent an email to some schools and only 1 has responded. the response was it may and it may not affect my clinical placement. At the moment i don’t know what to do. I’m in Ontario Canada.

2 Likes

Hi Bee,

I only checked with the school I am intersted to get in, and the response I got was “being an asymptomatic carrier of a blood borne pathogen (such as Hep B) should not prevent you from training as a nurse, attending placements at a clinical environment or registering with your college after graduation”. I think the same policy should apply to other Ontario schools too.

2 Likes

Great thank you for letting me knw. Are you applying to schools in ontario too.

1 Like

Yes, I am. :heart:strong text****strong text

1 Like

thanks LIZ. I will go ahead with gathering my credentials

1 Like

You are welcome. Wish all the good for both of us in pursuing our study and career:)

1 Like

Good luck with your study and career endeavor. I hope your hard work and compassion for others could bloom and shine positively in the world.

2 Likes

Hi Liz. I got the nursing admission and thought to share with you .Thanks for the motivation

1 Like

@Liz Hi . I thought to share with you that I got the admission. Thanks for the motivation

1 Like

Congratulations! I wish you all the best in your pursue of study and career as a nurse! Thanks for your sharing, that’s really inspring!

1 Like