New Drugs to cure Hep B?

Very interesting article. Fast track? Does it mean that certain people will get the approval?

@availlant Your thoughts?

Hi @Nass

See Nucleic acid polymers (NAPs): targeting subviral particles to achieve HBV functional cure - #178 by availlant

@availlant

1 Like

Thank you! Is 1500iu HBSAG consider low base or mid?

Dear @Nass ,

A baseline HBsAg of 1500 IU/mL is low. The average baseline HBsAg is ~ 10,000 IU/mL and can be < 125,000 IU/mL in HBeAg positive chronic HBV infection or during acute HBV infection.

@availlant

2 Likes

As always… Thank you so much!!

1 Like

Hi @ThomasTu ,

If we can’t target cell with cccDNA, then why don’t we take minimum low dose medication (and hopefully with no side effects) to stop virus till all the liver cells that are infected with cccDNA are all exhausted (converted into virus or die before conversion) and virus is killed/disabled outside cells before it has chance to infects new liver cells?

I know we have antiviral to achieve this but does cccDNA stays present in cells forever? Do we know how long it takes for an infected liver cell to die naturally and continue medication double that time? Does the B virus only affect a particular type of liver cells?

Thanks

Hey Aman,

I read somewhere on here that cccDNA gets deleted when a liver cell undergoes Mitosis (cell division), and the two new liver cells does not have any cccDNA. However, some liver cells (potentially containing cccDNA of the Hep. B Virus) does not divide. We are not sure how long cccDNA will remain active in a non-dividing liver cell. It could also be that since Hep. B virus are replicated in the liver and also infects liver cells, it may have an easier time staying in the liver.

Liver cells as far as I understand are some of the most actively replaced cells in our body, I could be wrong on this one though. It would be nice to hear from some other community members who have been on anti-virals for a long time and see what their experiences have been.

1 Like

Welcome @Jay

I’m glad you have found us and shared your story.
It is very scary and uncertain future. Your head must be whirling with questions and terror.
Please, we are here for you. Your life is important for your family’s happiness. They don’t care if you have an illness. As long as they can hug and love you is all that matters.
You are unlikely to have past on to your son and maybe even your wife.
Get them tested and vaccinated as @availlant has said.
You can still have a long and healthy life. Read some of the subjects and stories. I’m sure you’ll find they are similar to yours.
One day at a time.

2 Likes

Thank you @A7xImpulse

1 Like

Great question, @Aman. And thanks @A7xImpulse for a great summary of the most recent research (which we have published on Mitosis of hepatitis B virus-infected cells in vitro results in uninfected daughter cells - ScienceDirect and has been highlighted by a PhD student working in my lab - Example entry: Hepatitis B cccDNA viral reservoirs - stubborn nails in the quest for a complete cure). I am really so glad that we’ve been able to get such sophisticated complex concepts taken up by the community.

Some additional comments:

The average lifespan of a liver cell is about 6 months, which is fairly long when you think about it. This is why the reduction of cccDNA even while on therapy is very slow.

At the start of an infection (immune tolerance phase) pretty much the entire liver is infected. But when you are in HBeAg-negative phases, something like 1% of liver cells are infected (even when there’s plenty of virus around to infect the other cells). We still don’t know the underlying reason for this and if the one that are infected really represent a different type of cell.

Indeed, I’ve been on antivirals for many years and my levels of HBeAg and HBsAg have remained quite high through the years.

Thomas

2 Likes