Is coffee bad for hbv?

hello,

could coffee be bad for hbv patients?

I’ve read that coffee is actually good for hbv patients. But why is that? Is there an explanation to why coffee is beneficial for the hbv patients specifically on biochemistry level other than by looking at the observation data?

The reason why I ask is that coffee induces adrenaline which causes imbalances of hormones in our body. Imbalances of hormones are not good and causes havoc in our health. For instance, too much estrogen may cause menstration cramps and acne and other autoimmune diseases.

I began taking 1 teaspoon of cacao powder in the mornings but decided to hold off because it contains a small amount of caffeine. I also stopped drinking my favorite matcha tea because of caffeine.

is coffee good for hbv? If so, how is it good? what does coffee actually do for hbv patients? putting aside the observation data, is there a biochemical explanation?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @catcher.007,

As mentioned in one of my previous threads, coffee seems to be good for the liver and preventing cancer (Lifestyle changes, nutrition, and supplements for hep b - #70 by ThomasTu).

I don’t think anyone knows exactly how this works on a molecular or biochemical level, mostly because there are not many good models for liver cancer that accurately replicate what is happening in a person.

You are right that imbalances can lead to ill health, so it’s important to take a reasonable amount of whatever you’re thinking of adding to your diet.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

5 Likes

I echo Thomas’ responses. The epidemiological data fairly clearly say that drinking moderate amounts of coffee is a liver-protectant, and it is not the caffeine in it b/c decaffinated coffee has a similar beneficial association. I’ve reviewed a few papers over the years purporting to find a reason for this, but I don’t find any of them convincing. Also, remember that drinking too much coffee can disrupt sleep patterns and can cause stomach issues such as ulcers, so as Thomas says, moderation is the key!

5 Likes

Hi @john.tavis

I am here to have questions a bit more about. I am coffee lover. Coffee is my start day.

However, I just noticed that I often take HepB medicine right after breakfast+coffee.

May I know is there any bad effects to HepB medicine ( mine is TAF ) if I took it right after coffee and meal like this?

Thanks

I think this might be more within the expertise of our @PharmacyExperts. Could one of you provide some input?

Thanks,
TT

@senhour Using the Medscape drug interactions checker, there is no potential negative or untoward drug interactions. So, it’s safe and no cause for worries.

2 Likes

Hi @senhor,

I’m also a compulsive coffee drinker! Fortunately for HBV+ people, coffee is actually a hepatoprotectant (it helps prevent or reduce liver disease). We do not know why, other than it is not the caffeine as the same effects are seen with decaffeinated coffee. You may want to check with your doctor about whether it could cause absorption problems with your medications. As long as it doesn’t mess with drug uptake, does not disrupt your sleep schedule, or cause stomach problems, you can enjoy your coffee with peace of mind.

John.

2 Likes