How have you dealt with discrimination because of your HBV status?

Thank you for this. I appreciate the creators of this platform. I will start applying and will give updates when possible.
Best regards,

2 Likes

Hi Oluchi, I do not think that hep b would be a problem in Canada. And the good thing is that they have national health care, which means you might even be eligible to receive care? Basically, most of the western countries are much more tolerant of hep b than in Asia and part of Africa. Just be sure to check the health requirements when looking at countries to immigrate to - as I mentioned in my previous post, the USA does not require hep b testing. But they may require hep b vaccination? Hope this helps … always, Joan

1 Like

Hi All, I am Stephen from Australia. I am a Chinese Australian, retired, and living in Sydney. I am a senior member of the Chinese Hepatitis B forum (www.hbvhbv.info) where I have been posting HBV research papers(mainly abstracts), studies and articles for the last 10 years. I can read Chinese, but I never learn how to enter Chinese characters on a computer, so I usually compose in English, then use Google Translate to obtain the Chinese version, some cut and paste, then I post. The results are not very good, readers had complained that they get a headache from reading my posts, but at least they get the latest. Hbvers in China all want a cure because of the stigma, many of them sellf-manage their HBV like ordering their own liver function tests, serum hbvdna and HBsAg loads. So they are knowledgeable about HBV but also some misconceptions, I hope to a bridge for them

3 Likes

Dear Stephen, it’s so good to have you join the HepBcommunity.org forum! Your experience and expertise will be of tremendous value to all of us. Between you and Jacky (who runs an online Facebook group for hepBers in Taiwan), hopefully we can reach more of those in countries where Chinese is spoken. From my experience at the Hepatitis B Foundation where we ran an outreach and public health program in Haimen City, near Shanghai, for 6 years, I know there is a tremendous amount of stigma and discrimination for those with hep b. So whatever we ALL can do to provide accurate information and support will be extremely helpful. Thanks so much for all that you’re doing to share important research!!! Always, Joan

2 Likes

This mail catches my attention - a mixed feeling though.
The stigma is so so high in China. And so I’m glad you’re doing well to get the proper or correct communication out there. I remembered being practically dragged out of my dormitory in 2019 on a first day of school and abandoned in a small place outside awaiting deportation because my hepb test had proven positive. I was completely unaware of my status. I had just paid some high fees for studues and didn’t know what to do. I instantly broke down.
Long story short, I remain grateful to this community for every message or information. They are the reason (s) i want to live.

6 Likes

Hi,
It’s Cornelius here, wanted more light into the discussions why it’s soo much of a stigmatized isssue in China over this? And where in China particularly is this really happening, we can’t say China alone to express the issue, there must be a particular region or district this is happening, I will be traveling to China for further studies, this happens to concern me.

Am sure there advance resources and facilities to get test for HepB in China, which am optimistic about, can anyone share more on this? Or there experiences? This would be of a great help.

Cornelius.

1 Like

Hi Joan,
Thank you for the kind words and welcome. I want to say, from my observation, that the Hepatitis B Foundation played a very significant part in the fight against discrimination in China. Many of the pioneer fighters in those dark early years received support, directly or indirectly, from HBF. Some of them were members of HBF or met members from HBF, including the founder of the Chinese Hepatitis B Forum. Nowadays, HBF’s drug watch web pages are read by many from China, eagerly watching and reporting any new additions and changes. HBF remains the premier organization not just in disseminating information about HBV, but also in supporting the patients, and the fight against discrimination, everywhere. I must also thank your Blumberg Institute for leading the charge to find a cure and better treatments for HBV.

Stephen in Sydney

4 Likes

Hi oziomaezayzay,

There were so many hbvers who suffered from systematic discrimination in China. I believe matters are better now, the laws are there and some are fighting back. Still have a long way to go. Take care.

Stephen

2 Likes

Hi Cornelius,

I am based in Sydney, so I cannot give you a whole picture of stigma and discrimination in China. Whatever I know, I learn from postings on the Chinese Hepatitis B Forum(www.hbvhbv.info), especially those from over 10 years ago. I remembered the posts about infected children eating separately from their parents and infected persons asking others to take mandatory blood tests for them, etc. Through the brave work of many, things are better now, laws were introduced but employers, kindergarten and school admission offices still find ways to obtain private health information to impose discrimination. If you are visiting China, you may like to contact YiYou Charity Liver Centre, they are fighting these discriminations in China.

Best,

Stephen in Sydney

3 Likes

Hi @Stephenw

Appreciate your retrospective readings, sharing the link as well as providing areas to look into while in China.

I’ll have a look into it

Thanks
Cornelius

1 Like

G’day Cornelius - a few points about stigma and discrimination in China:

• one theory is that the marginalisation of people with hepatitis B came as a result of responses to a hepatitis A outbreak in Shanghai in the late 1980s, where over 300,000 people were infected and where 47 people died. This outbreak received extensive media attention, with confusion subsequently occurring among the general public and policy developers between the different types of hepatitis.
  • In China, discrimination and exclusion are key features of early and continuing attempts to reduce hepatitis B transmission, with regulations initially passed in 1981 with the Technical School Student Admissions Medical Test Standards and Implementing Regulations. These regulations, promulgated by the State Labour Bureau and the Ministry of Health, mandated that no one diagnosed with chronic hepatitis could be hired. This was followed in October 1995, with the Food Hygiene Law of the People’s Republic of China regulating that “no sufferers of dysentery, typhoid, viral hepatitis … (including carriers of the pathogen) … may engage in work with ready-to-eat foods” (Article 26). These public places included the food industry, and pharmaceutical, health products, water supply and education sectors. Medical tests were required for civil servants from 1994, with regulations stating that if “acute hepatitis is cured for one year and persistent hepatitis is cured for two years, persons carrying the hepatitis virus but having normal liver function may be employed.”
  • Significant changes have occurred in educational and employment access of people with hepatitis B since 2003 where the China Ministries of Health and of Personnel announced that people with hepatitis B must not be discriminated against when seeking employment and education. There have also been a range of regulations and legislation that have changed since then reinforcing that no one with hepatitis B should be marginalised as a result of hepatitis B but the reality is testing occurs through educational services, workplaces and through visa applications. Discrimination still remains a significant issue for people with hepatitis B.

I did a needs assessment a few years ago that talks of the social impact of viral hepatitis in China - you can download here - https://www.latrobe.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/649302/China-Needs-Assessment-English.pdf

2 Likes

Hi Jack-Wallace,

What a wonderful assessment that you did in 2015. Do you have any plan to do a follow-up study?

Best,

Stephen in Sydney

2 Likes

Dear Oziomaezayzay, your email makes me so happy that you’re finding the HepBcommunity.org forum helpful and inspiring. Your personal story is very tragic and I can only hope that you are in a good, safe place now. You don’t mention what happened with your schooling? But I am so grateful that you shared your story and please know that we all want to continue to support you in your journey. Always, Joan

5 Likes

Thanks Stephen for your lovely message about the work of the Hepatitis B Foundation. It’s gratifying to know that our reach is having an impact! Sometimes it feels like everything we do is but a drop in the ocean. With that said, between the work that each one of us is doing on a personal, local, national and international level … it all adds up eventually! Eliminating hepatitis B once and for all is our collective goal. Thanks again, Joan

3 Likes

Hi @Jack_Wallace

Thanks for your in-depth contribution and surveys on this.
I can see how tough it has been now. Togetherness we can make a difference.

Thanks again

1 Like

When I was getting life insurance, I found out how different things really are between non hepatitis b and having hepatitis b. If it wasn’t for my job, health insurance would be outrageous. Currently paying around 650 usd monthly for family of 4. Good plan, dental, vision, health. Without insurance through job, I m going to guess $1000usd plus.

In the US, there are lots of discrimination and stigma with hep b. It s might not be open as other places but it’s there.

3 Likes

Hello @Sirbay I’m currently a student of University of Ibadan Oyo State is there anyhow we can connect and share our experiences?

@Fawole I just sent you a message

2 Likes

Hi John , how about if you are a nurse applying for a job ? I think they are asking about your vaccination status and immunity to hbv right? I also experienced a lot of discrimination.

2 Likes

There are still discrimination even in Canada. I went to a walk in GP years ago to get a note for work before as an International educated RN but Gp said I need to change career because I can’t practice.

1 Like