Hepatitis b vaccine

Good morning, i took my wife for vaccine but she was given 0.5 mil after a month we came back 0.5 again and now they ask us to come back in a month time for the last shot which is still 0.5 mil… the intervals is month each…but from all i read the normal dose for hepatitis b vaccine is 1 mil not 0.5 mil… I’m confused…and after we had unprotected sex after her second dose… i hope she cannot be infected

What vaccine brand / name exactly?

Hi @Mohammed,

From your previous posts, you said that your viral loads were very low (in the hundreds or tens). Even without the vaccine, the chances of transmission are quite low. That said, you may want to have a blood test to check anti-HBc, anti-HBs and HBsAg levels just for peace of mind. This will show whether the vaccination has worked as well.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Hey, can you tell what is the duration of vaccine after which we can have unprotected sex with the partner who is not having hep B

1 Like

Hi @anonymous36,

To be completely sure there is no risk of infection, the person without Hep B should have an anti-HBs test to measure their antibody levels. This is usually done 1-2 months after the last dose in the vaccine series and should be at least 10IU/mL for them to be considered protected.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Is the protection lifelong or there’s still need to be checking the wife’s hbsab level and be taking booster continuously if need be?

Hi @Godsown,

It is hard to say if protection is lifelong or not, but if your wife is likely to be exposed, it would be best to check every 10 years for antibody levels and getting a booster if they drop below 10mIU/mL.

2 Likes