Hepatitis B and Immigration/visa issues

Hi. I am a chronic HBV carrier. Recently I got the student visa of japan. Will I be denied for work visa or green card in japan for my Hepatitis B virus infection? Hoping your kind reply. Thank you.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware - when applying for a visa, Japan immigration only requires a blood result for Hepatitis C, but not for hepatitis B.
At least this was the case when I’ve applied for a Japanese visa around 10 years ago (time flies!). Things could have changed since then. It’s best if you check for requirements on a Japanese embassy website.

1 Like

Hi @Sangye_Tashi,
You can tell if it is active from blood results. Many times, your liver can be damaged without any symptoms, so it is important to keep monitoring your condition with lab tests.

I agree with @mantana and checking up on the Japanese immigration website specifically.

1 Like

Hello @ThomasTu,
Thank you so much for helping me through the process and giving me the encouragement and hope I needed. I was really nervous about it, but your support made all the difference.

The doctor did not ask me about the cobdition, they only ask some question about my ability for my work prerequireis. A heart checkup and ask for surgury or accident history.
Now I am able to work and persue my dreamjob.

I wish that everyone has the same opportunity to work without discrimination based on any conditions they may have. It’s important to me that everyone has an equal chance to pursue their dreams and contribute to the world.

Also good news is that I now got my work permit and resident card without any discrimination.

4 Likes

Dear @IWillBeCured,

That is such great news and I’m very happy for you. Hope this job continue to provide you joy and purpose.

Thomas

2 Likes

Hi Uyen,
I am a registered nurse, and made an application to study masters in Nursing (coursework) in Australia. Upon doing my medicals a few days ago, I was told that I was positive for Hepatitis B.
This was so hard and difficult for me.
The MOC requested to do Liver function test and the results came normal.
How will this affect my visa application? Do you think I can get the visa rejected?
What happens in a situation like mine.
Do you know of anyone in healthcare or nursing like me that tested positive for Hep B and still got the visa after the LFTs.

Kindly assist

Dear @Happysang,

Please see the thread above for some information, particularly this post: Hepatitis B and Immigration/visa issues - #2 by ThomasTu

@Dane, I’m not sure if you could give an update on your situation?

2 Likes

Hello Dane,
Did you manage to get your student visa granted?
My situation is similar to yours as I made an application to study a master of nursing in Australia.
It was during my medicals that my HBsag came positive. The doctor requested for liver function tests and they came normal.

2 Likes

Thankyou for your response. What was your viral load before taking medicines?

2 Likes

Has anyone in this forum applied for permanent residency visa? Please I need a help and a guide as i wish to apply soon.
I would appreciate it, if you could direct me to a good migration agent or any information that can help me.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Evans,

It might be helpful to provide where you are originally from and which country you are wanting to get permanent residency in.

Cheers,
Thomas

2 Likes

Hi @Star505,

It is best to get appropriate advice from a licensed migration expert for your particular case, but as shown in the thread here, many people who have chronic HBV infections have been able to get visas for Australia.

Thomas

1 Like

Hello evans!
If you are applying for Australian permanent residency visa then please don’t forget to update here once you are success.

1 Like

Yes, i will definitely update everyone here as soon as i receive my visa outcome.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone, I hope all of you are doing well.

I had this query about Visa restrictions for Qatar, but now it is sorted. I recently came to Qatar on Family Visit Visa for 1 month and to extend it for 3 months, I went for my medicals.

I am Hepatitis B positive but I got medically fit for the stay. Now I can extend my VISA here.

The process of medicals over here is, they took blood sample and chest X-ray. I don’t know what all tests they done on my sample but eventually the result came out to be the positive at my end.

Hopefully this helps other people, who are in future willing to come Qatar.

4 Likes

Hello,
I’m new to this group and I want to thank you for this humanitarian work.
I work as a Gastroenterology doctor, and I moved to Germany some time ago. During routine tests, I discovered that I have Hepatitis B with a viral load of 90,000, but after treatment with TAF for six weeks, it decreased to less than 25.
Now I’m worried, can I work as a doctor in Germany?
Will I face discrimination because of my condition?
Should I inform my employer during a job interview that I’m infected?
Can I keep my health information confidential?
I haven’t started working yet, and I’m still in the process of getting my foreign credentials recognized.
Thank you.

I believe you’ll be fine but can I know why you started with TAF and TDF. My Viral load is 9022IU/ml and have 8.1kpa in my fibroscan result. My doctor wrote TAF for me but I bought TDF, is TAF more effective aside being prescribed for people with kidney problems. I’m not sure I had kidney problems because I did kidney function test last year and my result is normal. I’m just worried if there’s a particular reason he wrote TAF for me instead of TDF. Thanks

Hi @Max1 ,

Welcome to the community! It’s great that you are a GI and that antivirals have worked for you. Hopefully we have some members from Germany and maybe someone that works there in the medical field. If not, maybe one of our experts can refer you to some information.

I just wanted to say, “Hi” and welcome you. I hope you get the answers you are seeking.

-Paul

2 Likes

Dear @anonymous36,

That’s so great to hear and I’m glad that this wasn’t an impediment to your visa extension.

I am not sure but it might be good if some of our German collegues could give insight here (@LenaAllweiss, @Tassilo, @Greg).

My understanding is that both are very effective and indeed TDF is prescribed as a first line therapy here in Australia (with the option of changing to TAF if there are any side-effects or worries about kidney issues).

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi @Max1 ,
working as a doctor in Germany, I would advise you to keep your health information confidential during the interview.
Before actually starting to work, you should make an appointment with the “Betriebsarzt” (Occupational Health) - to my knowledge, this is mandatory anyways. You should discuss your HBV infection with the Betriebsarzt, they will then have to decide what restrictions (if any) apply for the work you can do. They cannot, however, directly give your health information to your employer, unless you specifically allow them to (which most people don’t, so you won’t have to worry about seeming unusual). They can only give your employer information about whether you are fit to do all of the tasks that may come up during your work, or not. If they determine that there are any restrictions, you should discuss those with the Betriebsarzt first.
Like this, you will not have to disclose all of the details to your employer.

4 Likes